Different Tire Size And Make On 17 In Wheel

dga

• 2 months later...

I have just experienced this situation.

Original tires on the ES350 were Toyo Proxes and began to give road noise at 27000. Still some tread remaining but decided to put on new tires anyway. I desired a slightly wider tread so went for 225 (the OE was 215). My error, the shop put on 225/50-17. They just didn't look good --- dinky tire and too much wheel well. The shop agreed to change to a 225/55-17 and it is PERFECT. Ended up with Yokohoma YK520 and couldn't be more pleased. Extremely quiet, very comfortable, true tracking and they look good. This was one of my better purchase decisions.

I have just experienced this situation.

Original tires on the ES350 were Toyo Proxes and began to give road noise at 27000. Still some tread remaining but decided to put on new tires anyway. I desired a slightly wider tread so went for 225 (the OE was 215). My error, the shop put on 225/50-17. They just didn't look good --- dinky tire and too much wheel well. The shop agreed to change to a 225/55-17 and it is PERFECT. Ended up with Yokohoma YK520 and couldn't be more pleased. Extremely quiet, very comfortable, true tracking and they look good. This was one of my better purchase decisions.

I am surprised that the tire looked dinky. The outer diameter of the 215/55/17 is 26.3" (stock) vs 25.9" for the 225/50/17. I would not have thought that 0.4" would affect the look i.e. wheel well gap, very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on wider footprints. I'm thinking of going even farther, to a 235/55, has anyone else done this?

Will the rim hold that wide a tire?

Are there rubbing problems?

I wish there was some place on the net to tell me not only what OEM is, but what other sizes would work on my stock wheels. How do I determine how wide I can go before I encounter problems? Is the only way a trial-and-error system? I'd like to order them on tirerack.com, but I don't want to get something that won't work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info on wider footprints. I'm thinking of going even farther, to a 235/55, has anyone else done this?

Will the rim hold that wide a tire?

Are there rubbing problems?

I wish there was some place on the net to tell me not only what OEM is, but what other sizes would work on my stock wheels. How do I determine how wide I can go before I encounter problems? Is the only way a trial-and-error system? I'd like to order them on tirerack.com, but I don't want to get something that won't work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Good topic, ive got the UL package, with the 10 spoke graphite polished rims (17') - it doesnt seem to do the car justice though and am thinking of at least getting wider tires - the stock tires are toyo 215 - which do not look nice at all and look wobbly under the car.

Any help/reccomendations would be appreciated - also something that doesnt mess up the tire pressure sensor mechanism would be good...

I would avoid doing the 235/55 route personally.....that is a 3.17% difference in diameter (it's advised to say under 3%). Most I would do on the stock 17" wheel is 225/55 which is only a 1.61% difference. Just my 2 cents.

:cheers:

Hmm...interesting. I'm doing comparisons based on Tire Size Calc

it gives the following info for changing a 215/55 to a 235/50

Sidewall difference= -.1 inch

Radius= -.1 inch

Diameter= No Change

Circumference= -.2 inch

Revolutions per mile= +1 Rev per mile

It also states that the new tires would be .2% too fast. i.e, when you're doing 60 mph on the speedo, you're actually doing 59.9mph.

Using these figures, nearly all variables are unchanged except the wider footprint. Wheel wells are still filled out, it'll still fit the rim fine etc...That's why I figured it would work.

Where are you getting the 3.17% diff. in diameter? Maybe I'm using the wrong calc. I sure don't want to order these tires and then have them not work or rub.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Be careful when changing tire sizes. You should have your ecm reprogrammed to match the new size as the wheel speed sensors feed data to the entire drivetrain based on wheel revolutions. I would consult your dealer first to see if the new size you want can be programmed into the ecm.

• 4 weeks later...

How will larger tires affect gas mileage?

I'm thinking of either a 225 55 17, or 215 60 17; both will add a little height and, presumably, a more comfortable ride. But, any larger tire means more weight, which means lower mpg, but how much?