Trunk Retrofit For Spare Tire

Ragtop Girl

I've read all the posts about tires and am ready to replace my runflats (horrible tires), but am not comfortable without a spare. I ordered the "spare" from Lexus - less than $200 - but now they want $500 to retrofit my trunk to hold it. This just seems wrong. Does anyone have any experience with this retrofit and is there a better way to transport the tire. I travel a lot and don't want to be away from home in a non-populated area without a spare for a service truck to put on for me. I would probably be using non-Lexus service call because of rural areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Without the retrofit kit, tthere's no way to securely hold the spare tire in place, unless you don't mind having the spare lying in the trunk. I suggest looking on ebay. You can get the kits off ebay, but they're no bargain either.

I've read all the posts about tires and am ready to replace my runflats (horrible tires), but am not comfortable without a spare. I ordered the "spare" from Lexus - less than $200 - but now they want $500 to retrofit my trunk to hold it. This just seems wrong. Does anyone have any experience with this retrofit and is there a better way to transport the tire. I travel a lot and don't want to be away from home in a non-populated area without a spare for a service truck to put on for me. I would probably be using non-Lexus service call because of rural areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Antoher SC owner that I spoke to carries a CONTI spare in his trunk (about $80). You simply spray it into a flat tire and you're able to travel for 100 miles. It is from Continental. Good luck and let me know what you decide becuase when my run flats need to be replaced, I expect to buy Michelin Pilots instead.

Why won't the spare tire/wheel be sufficient without buying the whole kit? Can't it be stabilized, tied down of somehow - maybe with bungge cord or??? It is hard for me to imagine there isn't some easy way to stabilize it.

I had the retrofit done yesterday and it looks really good. It's going to be annoying to have reach over the tire kit all the time, but I think it's the only option for a decent ride. I'll make another post about tires to choose as that will be my next project.

Wow! I couldn't wait to get rid of my spare saving the extra weight and space and you want to add it. No way you want to stick with the AAA program. Since I have a kit on my SC and stagged Wheels makes it difficult to choose a spare wheel.

This is what I'd do. Locate enough space to mount the spare either outside or inside the trunk. Then find a shop that can bend tubular pipes and ask them to build you a security bracket. Chances are they can secure it to you car with bolts and hinges.