Starting In The Wron Gear

I just got a check engine light, but have been having issues with the car starting in the wrong gear. the problems are likely related somehow and all I know is that the oil is good and there is transmission fluid...anyone has thought on the cause or solution?

If I wanted to add transmission fluid how can I tell if the local Sears product is the same as the OE stuff? THe owners manual that I have doesnt say anything about the fluid and I cant seem to find too much detail on the "generic" type. Money isnt the problem, its finding the time to go to the dealer during their working hours.

The correct fluid is Toyota Type T-IV. I would recommend the Toyota brand as it can be difficult to find aftermarket alternatives. Can you be more specific on the problem you are having; such as how do you know what gear it is starting out in?

• 1 month later...

I am the owner of a Lexus GS300 year 1991 that is presenting the following problem:

After starting engine and placing the transmission on “Drive” position, the car did not recognize the first gear and the engine slides without transferring power to the wheels.

Just after pushing the pedal more and some seconds later the car starts moving “slowly”.

Once and while, the “overdrive” light starts blinking on the panel without being switched.

If someone has detected similar problem with his vehicle please let me know.

I am the owner of a Lexus GS300 year 1993 that is presenting the following problem:

After starting engine and placing the transmission on “Drive” position, the car did not recognize the first gear and the engine slides without transferring power to the wheels.

Just after pushing the pedal more and some seconds later the car starts moving “slowly”.

Once and while, the “overdrive” light starts blinking on the panel without being switched.

If someone has detected similar problem with his vehicle please let me know.