Let Me Have It... Advise

jocigar

Hello all, new member and soon to be 2000 lx470 owner.

Can I please get you advise on this truck, it has 51k miles and has been well serviced, but the interior was mis-treated... I hope to replace the bad panels and patch leather if possible.

Can you let me know if there are any problems that are inherent with this truck and any other info you can through at me would be greatly appreciated.

I am handy and hope to do most of the work myself as I have done on my land cruiser and bmw 735i.

Should I be affair or ecstatic :huh:

Thanks very much! Joe

Congrads on the soon to be car! :cheers:

I recommend this product for the leather: http://www.leatherique.com/prod01.htm

I've used it on my car and it did wonders. Some of the leather was a little beyond repair, but that oil did help it some.

Since its about 51k miles, check to see if you need new tires soon. I plan on getting new tires soon and I'll be getting the Bridgestone Dueler AT.

The only problem I have with my car is that the heat shield on the catalytic converter is a little loose and rattles at 1800rpm.

I plan on fixing it by trying to put some gum or adhesive to close the small gap so it wont rattle.

-Robert

Thanks Robert!

talking about it takes some of the anxiety out of this before the final purchase goes though. It does not have the certified warranty and that worries me some, although it does still have the drive train warranty which is nice 6/70?. If it's made like my old Toyo LC I shall be very happy... just worried that all the bells and whistles stuff will give me headaches.

The condition of the smaller devices and toys is going to depend on the previous owner. Hopefully, the owner was the kind that doesn't know jack *BLEEP* about all the features in their cars and never bothered them, or at least someone who respected and took care of the toys. Even then, the toys are well built. My parents abused my LX for 2.5 years before they gave it to me and everything still works perfectly!

The power train warranty should be fine. I'm pretty sure the LX quality is equal if not better then the Land Cruiser. They are technically the same company anyways.

-Robert

Advise on the truck will be difficult to provide without being able to see it. For the most part, I would think you'd be fine - the LX 470 is, after all, a 100 series LC. Tough as nails structurally and mechanically -- with a very plush interior.

What model LC did you have?

I wouldn't worry too much about all the new gadgets in the 470. From what I've heard, there have been very few problems with accessories. You should be okay.

Enjoy the new rig!

Cheers,

Doug

I bought a 2000 lx470 a few months back as well, with 40,700 miles on it. So it was (actually still is) still under warrenty. The following items were repairs under warrenty:

1. Exaust Manifold leaks--the car made a tick-tick-tick sound when cold, and this was traced back to leaky manifold.

2. Steering column motor "grinding" noise--entire !Removed!'y replaced.

The service advisor informed me that these are very common issues with these autos, and when I reported these problems he immediately knew what was wrong! He also indicated that had I paid for these repairs out of pocket, it would have cost around $5000.

I also found a new problem with the car--it stalls when the outside temperature is below mid 20 degrees F. We take this truck skiing, so it's a major issue for us, but I haven't taken it in yet. I'll report what I find.

Are the manifolds a recall or are they at least covered by the drivetrain 6/70? Does the factory 50k expire at 49,999 mine has 50,900... I wonder if they would consider giving it one last once over under the 50k warranty?

Stan, how did you buy your truck... did you have any history on it?

Once I own the truck I wonder if I am entitled to a copy of all the history records from the local dealer.

Partial answer-

Our local dealer offered any maitenance history their database had on file, if I came into the dealership. They said they couldn't provide it over the phone. Although I was able to wessel a little info. out of him over the phone. Something like this:

" :( ..gee, I hate to make a trip all the way in if you don't have any information on file. Can you at least tell me whether anything is showing up?"

dealer - "hmm.. that makes since doesn't it.. let me see, well I'm showing records up to the 30,000 mile major service, and then a 40,000 mile pre-buy inspection, but nothing after that."

"roger that, all I needed to know. thanks chief"

;)

Also, I think typically once the warranty expires (i.e. 50,000.01 miles), your pretty much S.O.L. on the covered stuff, but Lexus might work with you little better about that.

You might check into an extended warranty if you're worried about it. I could have gotten one on my '97' for a grand.

Good Luck

rookie.

I got the car from a used car dealer; they didn't have any service records, but the CARFAX came out clean anyways..it was a lease return from a local owner, and the truck was extremely clean and still under warranty so I felt pretty comfortable with the purchase.

All Lexus dealerships share service history database, so all service visits to any Lexus dealership should be visible to your local dealer. My service advisor freely shared the service history with me.

The steering colum motor is the motorized steering column adjustment. The lx470 is designed to retract the whole steering column automatically upon removal of the key to make exit and entry easier. Our truck made a horrible grinding sound every time the key was removed--it was driving my wife nuts! (I believe this feature can be turned off by the dealer).

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a 1998 LX 470 with 44k miles (with CPO warranty). Had to bring it in for the steering column motor grinding issue that was covered by warranty. While checking the car they also fixed the exhaust manifold issue that was covered by the drivetrain warranty. Unfortunately, they didn't tighten the steering column enough so it wiggle a little bit and I have to bring it in again. And now it also idles at a little higher RPM than before so the car vibrates a little when stopped. Hopefully that can be fixed as well.

-Urban

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I purchased a 2000 LX470 w/58k miles on it this december. I was considering spending the 1600 on extended warranty but had faith in toyota reliability. The truck was a lease turn in and was maintained beautifully. I had the 60K maintenance performed ($1,800 & 2 days in the shop) and all is well. I will replace the tires this fall. I will have to listen for that manifold problem. I may be ignoring it because I don't know it's not supposed to do that. Otherwise no problems to report!

I assume that noise is pretty obvious? would it be there only when it's cold? and not when the engine is warm?

Just to report back our truck is doing great thus far and we are very happy with the purchase, great ride: smooth, extra quite and love the interior and the milage in a lot better than our 91 LC.

I was also offered the extended 3/36 for $1,700 but did not sign up yet. I am considering it, since I would think that any small problem would add up fast IE: steering wheel grind/exhaust manifolds crack.

Good advise on the 60k tune-up from toyota, we are at 53k right now.

Opps, my mistake, looking at the invoice it was $1,207. $361 in parts and $846 for labor. They replaced all the fluids (cooling, transmission, differential, lift system, brakes, etc), spark plugs, tune up, all air filters ($111 of intake, cabin, etc), replace thermostat, repack the bearings on the 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel alignment (which they had to do 2x, I am very particular on steering wheel alignment), new radiator and gas caps. Plus the peace of mind that all has been serviced and now it's oil changes every 7,500 for a few years. Also it was 100% tax deductable (as was the truck itself) for my small company... We just love the truck. It rides like a sedan and handled like a sports car (adjusting the suspension) on the mountain roads of pennsylvania. We put over 2,200 miles on it the first 2 weeks traveling for Christmas.

Thanks for the list, I will use it as a reference when our truck goes in for it's 60k

Are you saying that they covered the cost of the radiator under the drivetrain 6/70 warranty?

I take it that toyota cannot replace warranty stuff, I wonder is the have the small unique item like cabin filters, etc.

BTW, the only thing that I am not completely in love with is the handling around corners, it feels mushy and tips a little. Maybe we need more air in tire, what to you keep your suspension settings at? ours is in the middle between comfort and sport.

Sorry, for the confusion, they replace the radiator cap (and gas cap) as part of the service. You could try more air in the tires. I have traditionally filled my tires 3-4 lbs over what the factory recommendation is since I like a firmer ride (in my sedans). I believe i have the factory tires but others have used a different brand for better handling performance. On the highway I would switch between sport and soft depending on what the road was like (winding road or straight highway). One of the advantages of the lexus over the toyota was the active suspensions ability to keep the truck relatively stable. I assume you notice a difference between the settings. For me on sport it drives like a jeep grand cherokee (bouncy) and on soft it's like the LS400. If it's under warranty you could take it in and have them check it out for you.