Power Ect

any of you out there have any idea about the "Power ECT" option on the 2007 IS 250 models? The owner's manual recommends using that mode when driving uphill ... but what if I drive in that mode in normal road conditions (cuz it surely revs up the engine and make it more responsive for gassing the pedals)? Would it create any hassles beyond higher gas consumption? any deterimental effect to the car in the long run perhaps? any input would be appreciated!

any of you out there have any idea about the "Power ECT" option on the 2007 IS 250 models? The owner's manual recommends using that mode when driving uphill ... but what if I drive in that mode in normal road conditions (cuz it surely revs up the engine and make it more responsive for gassing the pedals)? Would it create any hassles beyond higher gas consumption? any deterimental effect to the car in the long run perhaps? any input would be appreciated!

That's the button you push when you want the car to feel more sporty and you don't care about getting worse gas mileage. It changes the gear shifting points and allows the engine to rev higher before shifting. It's kind of fun to use once in awhile, but I rarely use it.

It probably puts more wear on the engine, but you'll probably have to drive the car that way for a long time before you find out if it makes much difference on the life of the engine. The life of the car might be shorter when you're driving aggressively and crash.

thanks for the responses folks! got my 2007 Lexus IS 250 (used, with only 11K) a couple of weeks ago. have been enjoying it very much ever since .... the number of kool gadgets on that car is amazing ... and anyone noticed the number of small lights it has in the interior it has in every nook and cranny?! pretty kool stuff!

thanks again!

How is using the PowerECT setting any different than just stomping on the pedal harder? The tranny seems to figure out that I want to fast and usually does a pretty good job shifting.

It downshifts sooner, with less pedal. It also shifts a little snappier.

I drive with the Power ECT on all the time...

Manolo1 -

I'm curious how this has impacted your MPG City/Hwy? Please share.

BaddBoi

How would I know if I drive all the time with the ECT on?

My guess is that it is totally inmaterial as all you get is faster response and that should amount to -at most- 2%-3% worse mileage...

Iv'e noticed that I can feel the engine downshift and do some slight engine braking when I take my foot off the gas in the power mode also. But when I am in normal mode the car "coasts" more. I do notice the take off is much more "Now" in the power mode. My wife thought the power ect mode and the VDIM stuff was all just a gimmick. So with it in normal mode and the VDIM on, from a dead stop I floored it, while the rear tires did break loose, the VDIM quickly engaged and kept it civil, then I pushed the VDIM for 5 seconds to turn it completely off, and then put it in the power mode, again from a dead stop, I floored it and lit the rear tires up and pulled a 30 foot drift until she screamed and begged me to never do that with her in the car again. LOL!!! She'e a believer now! Not bad for a little luxury people mover.

Manolo1 -

BaddBoi

My guess is that it is totally inmaterial as all you get is faster response and that should amount to -at most- 2%-3% worse mileage...

Manolo1 - I believe what Baddboi was trying to get at was what MPG you get with the Power ECT mode so that he could compare to his mileage.

Iv'e noticed that I can feel the engine downshift and do some slight engine braking when I take my foot off the gas in the power mode also. But when I am in normal mode the car "coasts" more. I do notice the take off is much more "Now" in the power mode. My wife thought the power ect mode and the VDIM stuff was all just a gimmick. So with it in normal mode and the VDIM on, from a dead stop I floored it, while the rear tires did break loose, the VDIM quickly engaged and kept it civil, then I pushed the VDIM for 5 seconds to turn it completely off, and then put it in the power mode, again from a dead stop, I floored it and lit the rear tires up and pulled a 30 foot drift until she screamed and begged me to never do that with her in the car again. LOL!!! She'e a believer now! Not bad for a little luxury people mover.

:D :D

Manolo1 -

BaddBoi

Manolo1 - I believe what Baddboi was trying to get at was what MPG you get with the Power ECT mode so that he could compare to his mileage.

But Manolo lives in Florida, and Badboi lives in Denver. Huge elevation difference. Not to mention it's more about driving habits not the setting of the car. If you had it in power mode all the time, but drove it like a granny, you would probably show better gas mileage than someone who drove it regular mode very aggresively all the time.

But to help with the comparison, I live in Florida also, I "mostly" drive in the regular mode, but I admit that I am not a "Passive" driver. I seem to be getting about 21-22 mpg when I drive regularly bith city and highway combined. When I drive in the power mode for a couple of tanks fulls, I can get as low as 18 mpg's. Well, I should restate that as I have gotten as low as 18 mpg's. I'm sure I could get worse if I tried to. :rolleyes:

Manolo1 -

BaddBoi

But Manolo lives in Florida, and Badboi lives in Denver. Huge elevation difference. Not to mention it's more about driving habits not the setting of the car. If you had it in power mode all the time, but drove it like a granny, you would probably show better gas mileage than someone who drove it regular mode very aggresively all the time.

But to help with the comparison, I live in Florida also, I "mostly" drive in the regular mode, but I admit that I am not a "Passive" driver. I seem to be getting about 21-22 mpg when I drive regularly bith city and highway combined. When I drive in the power mode for a couple of tanks fulls, I can get as low as 18 mpg's. Well, I should restate that as I have gotten as low as 18 mpg's. I'm sure I could get worse if I tried to. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification and update :)

Smooth1 -

I've been trying to figure that out - THANKS :) I'd like to put it into a power slide (closed circuit course or at 3am in a vacant parking lot) :) However, I will be doing that withOUT the wifey in the car - LOL!!!

BaddBoi

:lol: Yeah, I think you'll have alot more fun that way. I hate it when they scare the heck out of you while you set up a drift turn with a quick steer, and e-brake tug, as the tires brake loose with a full on shreiking scream while death gripping the door and OS handle. Man that's distracting!! LOL!

• 1 year later...
:lol: Yeah, I think you'll have alot more fun that way. I hate it when they scare the heck out of you while you set up a drift turn with a quick steer, and e-brake tug, as the tires brake loose with a full on shreiking scream while death gripping the door and OS handle. Man that's distracting!! LOL!

I've been trying Power mode for the last 3-4 tankfuls. This is the first time I've tried it. I do notice the higher shift points when coasting to a stop. Also, it looks like it gets 1-2 MPG worse than Economy mode. I'm in Souther California and I do not drive the car hard.

• 5 months later...

I got my 2008 IS250 AWD in July/09. I drove with ECT off for the first several months. Then I turned it on and have been driving with it on ever since. I have noticed that my MPG has increased ever so slightly during the warmer months with ECT on but decreased slightly during the winter months compared to the same period last winter when I drove with the ECT off.

• 3 weeks later...

I have driving with it on for months now. In town, with traffic I actually get better gas mileage. But, I have noticed that on the freeway (after merging and settling in with traffic) I get better gas mileage with it off. I think ETC holds the RPMs up higher, even in 6th gear. Not a lot though, probably .5 - 1.0 mpg difference depending on distance. Maybe the longer the trip it would increase though, I only commute about 20 miles, and the commute back is bumper to bumper.

Definitely snappier shifting in town with it on though without requiring you to really hit the accelerator hard. I like it.

regards