How To Get Into Seatbelt Assembly

rubberchicken

Is there some document, say a PDF or website that has instructions on getting into the drivers side seatbelt assembly?

Like so many others, I'm having the issue on my '93 LS400 where the seatbelt is slack and seems to never want to tighten up. I followed the cleaning instructions but that didn't help. The problem must be with the retractor or something else down in the assembly and I would like to see if I can get in there and clean it up or fix it.

Is there some document, say a PDF or website that has instructions on getting into the drivers side seatbelt assembly?

Like so many others, I'm having the issue on my '93 LS400 where the seatbelt is slack and seems to never want to tighten up. I followed the cleaning instructions but that didn't help. The problem must be with the retractor or something else down in the assembly and I would like to see if I can get in there and clean it up or fix it.

The seat belt retractor has 2 "speeds", actually.

Open up the cover for the "B' pillar and disconnect the electrical connection to the seat belt retractor.

The idea was to reduce the retraction force once the seat belt is fastened..., bad, BAD idea...!!

• 5 years later...

Did anyone ever offer a pdf or other format illustration of how to break into the door pillar without breaking anything? Old plastic is usually brittle, and I don't want to break anything getting into the pillar to work on the seat belt extractors in my 1996 LS 400..

The door thresholds have to come off first.

Pry gently and gradually with a plastic trim removal tool to remove the lower door pillar cover - there is no trick to it. Yes, you may break a clip or where the clip attaches to the pillar trim. I did but it can't be seen and the remaining clips hold the pillar trim firmly in place after I reinstalled it.

Attached are some docs for the 2000 LS400 but it's probably the same for your 96.

bo-115.pdf

bo-116.pdf

bo-118.pdf

bo-119.pdf

bo-120.pdf

bo-125.pdf

bo-126.pdf

The door thresholds have to come off first.

Pry gently and gradually with a plastic trim removal tool to remove the lower door pillar cover - there is no trick to it. Yes, you may break a clip or where the clip attaches to the pillar trim. I did but it can't be seen and the remaining clips hold the pillar trim firmly in place after I reinstalled it.

Attached are some docs for the 2000 LS400 but it's probably the same for your 96.

Jim,

I thought you told me that Missouri was the Midwest version of Florida! 15 degrees sounds more like Iowa. LOL