Hydrogen Booster - Any Thoughts?

Jester1868

With the gas prices the way they are (and looking to go a little "greener"), I was looking into purchasing and installing a hydrogen booster that injects hydrogen and oxygen into the intake, making the ICE (internal combustion) engine burn less fuel and lower emissions. Has anyone ever tried one and what results did you get? http://www.hydrogen-boost.com pretty much guarantees a 50% gas mileage increase. What do you think? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

I find it very frustrating to see how many people don't understand the simple rules of thermo-dynamics. You can't get something for nothing. It takes more energy to get hydrogen from water than the energy that you get from the hydrogen. Why do you think we don't use hydrogen to free ourselves of the oil dependency? It is so utterly stupid for the government to support biodiesel and ethanol, when it takes more fossil fuels to produce them than you get from them.... It would be like buying watermelons for $2 each and selling them for $1.50, does that make sense? Not to count the rise in food prices, because we burn our food in our cars. It would take 90% of the USA land mass planted in corn to meet our oil demand.

I am sure it would increase your gas mileage to add a hydrogen injection system. It cost about $.15/mile to power your lexus on gasoline. Just guessing, but it would probably cost around $.25/mile with hydrogen and gasoline, not to mention how difficult it would be to find a hydrogen station... And if you thing you are going greener, think again, because it takes electricity to produce the hydrogen. The electricity comes mostly from coal.

I am a great nuclear power advocate, its our only way out. If you sit down and thing about it, the only energy not dependent on the sun, is nuclear and geothermal. The wind comes from the sun's heat, the hydro dams use the rain made by the sun, biodiesel and ethanol are simply plants converting the sun's energy to oils, coal and oil are simply stored plant and animal energy from millions of years of sunlight. There is no magic energy supply and people need to understand that. We all have to cut back, reduce the population, and not waste our very limited resources.

I find it very frustrating to see how many people don't understand the simple rules of thermo-dynamics. You can't get something for nothing. It takes more energy to get hydrogen from water than the energy that you get from the hydrogen. Why do you think we don't use hydrogen to free ourselves of the oil dependency? It is so utterly stupid for the government to support biodiesel and ethanol, when it takes more fossil fuels to produce them than you get from them.... It would be like buying watermelons for $2 each and selling them for $1.50, does that make sense? Not to count the rise in food prices, because we burn our food in our cars. It would take 90% of the USA land mass planted in corn to meet our oil demand.

I am sure it would increase your gas mileage to add a hydrogen injection system. It cost about $.15/mile to power your lexus on gasoline. Just guessing, but it would probably cost around $.25/mile with hydrogen and gasoline, not to mention how difficult it would be to find a hydrogen station... And if you thing you are going greener, think again, because it takes electricity to produce the hydrogen. The electricity comes mostly from coal.

I am a great nuclear power advocate, its our only way out. If you sit down and thing about it, the only energy not dependent on the sun, is nuclear and geothermal. The wind comes from the sun's heat, the hydro dams use the rain made by the sun, biodiesel and ethanol are simply plants converting the sun's energy to oils, coal and oil are simply stored plant and animal energy from millions of years of sunlight. There is no magic energy supply and people need to understand that. We all have to cut back, reduce the population, and not waste our very limited resources.

Please check the site before making assumptions! The system uses the energy already being produced in the vehicle and uses it to produce the hydrogen. You can also supplement the power usage by installing thermoelectric (Peltier) power modules and recycle the wasted heat energy. I'm not saying I'm going to use/try all that but keep in mind that a lot of the energy the gasoline produces is wasted/untapped. Simply use that waste energy and recycle it for something else to supplement the fuel powering the car, thus DECREASING the cost per mile by squeezing more energy out of the original fuel! The electricity involved isn't coming from coal, or your preferred method of nuclear energy, it's coming from the car itself (alternator/battery plus optional peltier modules)!

While I agree trying to go greener, while wasting fossil fuels is hypocritical, getting the most out of your fuel isn't! I never said I was trying to get something for nothing. A perpetual motor does not yet exist! All I'm asking is if the gas mileage would increase by injecting a hydrogen and oxygen mixture into the ICE engine, which you agree should do just that. So why not try to harness all that wasted energy from burning gasoline and supplement the engine? Think about how much electricity the alternator is generating when the engine is running. Think about how much heat the engine is producing while burning its fuel. Harness both and guess what? You can produce your own hydrogen without spending any more money!!! I know Peltier modules are pricy so that's more of an addition than anything but I highly disagree in your statement that you can't get something for nothing. Why can't we get energy from the Sun? Yes, wind and rain are from the Sun, yet there is no waste! None at all! I agree with you that nuclear is a good source of energy but then you're creating a waste problem. Where do we put it?

Electricity can be produced from running water, wind, solar, thermal/heat. Many sources that we have in abundance and guess what?...it's there for all of us to have for nothing! Producing the equipment to harness that energy costs money, which is why everyone prefers the easy way out but we also call for recycling aluminum, paper, glass, etc. Why not recycle the energy being produced from the engine itself?

I've looked into several of these hydrogen gas supplements for ICEs. Some are more complex then others and thus produce a purer grade of hydrogen gas. Some of the cheaper varieties produce lower grade hydrogen gas that can be detrimental to the engine in the long run by simply heating water and crystalized waste pipe cleaner. It can be very caustic to certain metals. IMHO.

Okay,, I don't have time to fully answer your question, but here goes. You say the electricity to power the hydrogen decombination uint is free from the alternator or battery. Say what???? Your engine has to power the alternator and charge the battery. This takes extra fuel to do this and the average car engine is only about 28% efficient. You are correct in stating that most of the energy in the gasoline is wasted as given off heat, either out the exhaust or from the radiator. The simple fact of combustion engines limits them to around 30% efficient. There has been some attempts at using the heat to produce steam and turn a turbine to get some of the lost heat back, but its not cost effective.

Hybrid cars use the energy of the brakes to turn a dyno/generator and charge the batteries, don't you think that if the alternator output was free, that we would simply charge big batteries while driving and then run the car on the batteries, but its not free. Braking energy is sort of free. The big probably with hybrids is all the parts, electronics, and replacing the batteries. Have you noticed that hybrids get better gas mileage in town, than on the highway? That would be a different science lesson.

I stand by my statement that no energy is free. You state that flowing water is free. Say what???? Some sort of energy is required to make the water flow. Either the sun has to evaporate the water and rain, or you have to pump it up to a higher elevation to add kinetic energy to the water. There would be no wind currents without the heat from the sun. I am sure you will say that sun power is free, if you look at it on a micro scale and our lifetime, then yes. However, the hydrogen will one day be used up producing your free energy and the sun will supernova.

I find it very comical "that a pepetual machine doesn't exist yet".... Wow, so you think there will be one? or are the oil companies keeping us from having one now? hahahaha

Really don't want to pick at you, because I deal with people everyday that think there is an easy answer to the world's energy needs. I did not read about your hydrogen website, because I know that it can not be efficient to use electricity to produce hydrogen and then use that energy converted to mechanical energy. It goes against the laws of thermo-dynamics. In mathmatics it would be like saying 2+2=7.

If you are really interested and want to educate yourself, please take a college course on thermo-dynamics. For home study just look at the "Carnot Cycle". Laws of thermo-dynamics may change when the universe stops expanding and begins to contract, but we won't be here to see it.....

I study energy for a living, but was never good at spelling or proper grammer, so please get me a break....

I personally don't think UZFE Engines are designed to access so much water (H + O2). In-fact chances are the the fuel line will freeze with excess water during winter, and the injectors will damage the cylinders.

I've come across Methane and Alcohol run Toyota engines, but this, not such a good idea.

I personally don't think UZFE Engines are designed to access so much water (H + O2). In-fact chances are the the fuel line will freeze with excess water during winter, and the injectors will damage the cylinders.

I've come across Methane and Alcohol run Toyota engines, but this, not such a good idea.

I love this guy,, H + O2???? Is that deturium or heavy water? I'm sure you meant H2 + O...... Engine digesting so much water??? We're talking about a system that seperates the hydrogen and oxygen and then you burn the hydrogen by piping it into the intake, sort of like a nitrox system works. I have no idea how you are going to freeze your fuel lines... LOL.... You seem to think that we are some how talking about injecting water into the fuel line and making hydrogen and oxygen at the injectors. Don't understand how the injectors would damage the cylinders,,, maybe they would spit ice cubes into the pistons....Wow,, I bet you don't work on your cars do you? LOL

They are probably going to band me from this board, but I love to comment, both good and bad....