2004 Lexus Rx330 Air Ride Front Struts Bearing

openwater

First of all I would like to say Hi to every one here. This is my first time at this forums. I own a 2004 Lexus RX330 with the sport package, and factory air ride suspension. In the last couple of days I heard noise when I turn my steering wheel from left to right. A friend of mine take a look at it, and he found out that the bearing on top of my driver side strut is worn. I went to the dealer to buy the part, and they told me that they do not sell the bearing separately for this type of air ride strut, instead they sell the complete strut, which is around $1400 dollar. Would anyone able to give me some advice as where to buy the bearing and the top mount separately or where to buy a used airs strut for a decent price. My strut is still in very good shape, and if I have to buy a new strut just to replace a bearing, I think that is a very bad design on Lexus. Thanks for all of your help.

• 3 years later...

other than a junk yard one I see the strut is around $800...For that I would convert both front shocks to the regular suspension...KYB shock struts and mounts...YOU would be cheaper.. the top mount is only about $40....

Would love to see that bearing. I can't believe there isn't a solution other than replacing the whole strut, or God forbid, a used junk yard strut. Bet there is another solution, just like the door lock actuators. I realize that bearing is a side load bearing (most likely) but here in the U.S. you have OFTEN been able to go to a bearing supply store and get a bearing just by having the bearing # from the old bearing.

• 5 weeks later...

other than a junk yard one I see the strut is around $800...For that I would convert both front shocks to the regular suspension...KYB shock struts and mounts...YOU would be cheaper.. the top mount is only about $40....

If I went w/ the converting to KYB shock struts mounts, would I be able to covert the rear also? Would it be a straight forward replacement?