Pics Of My Tinted Tail Lights (with Tail Light Removal Instructions)

Ok so basically I was sick of the "ricer" lights that came with the RX400h. I needed to distinguish myself from the other RX's somehow since there are a million driving around here. I have lots of insane and random ideas, so bare with me...this one day I just decided to rip out my tail lights and get them shipped out and tinted.

1. I started by opening the hatch, taking a long flathead screwdriver and prying off the clips that hold the plastic cover on (the hatch is way in the air so this can be quite difficult)

Rx400h-52.jpg

Rx400h-51.jpg

2. Take off the plastic piece, and start removing the tail lights, make sure to take all 4 screws out, some can be hidden. Also one screw on the outside holding the lights in the hatch screwed in.

I shipped them to www.jonstintedtails.com and he did a fantastic job, no bubbles, looks excellent.

I got the darkest tint available so its tough to see my lights.

Rx400h-72.jpg

Here is the finished product

Rx400h-71.jpg

Rx400h-49.jpg

post-58121-1207630996_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631018_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631051_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631075_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics with me hitting the brake lights, blinkers etc.

Rx400h-79.jpg

Rx400h-78.jpg

Rx400h-80.jpg

Rx400h-81.jpg

I have pictures in the dark but they look fine to be honest, the only time you can notice they are tinted is during the day when sun light is beaming down on the lights.

I have pictures in the dark but they look fine to be honest, the only time you can notice they are tinted is during the day when sun light is beaming down on the lights.

post-58121-1207630996_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631018_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631075_thumb.jpg

post-58121-1207631051_thumb.jpg

The installer noted that the RX tails are extremely bright so you don't have to worry. I love the way my car came out, it looks fantastic driving around all stealthy B) ... if only i could have tinted front windows!

It only cost $120 including return shipping if anyone is wondering, no the cops haven't bothered me yet because the LEDs in the taillights are so strong you can't even tell. What a fabulous mod for only $120, I highly recommend www.jonstintedtails.com

Funny thing is, on our '04 Prius, it came STOCK w/ tinted brake/signal tail lights ~ then next year? '05 and beyond? Boom, they went clear ( You can just barely make it out on my avatar, to the left ). Weird, that if folks prefer the tint, that the factory would go the other way. Beats me.

Funny thing is, on our '04 Prius, it came STOCK w/ tinted brake/signal tail lights ~ then next year? '05 and beyond? Boom, they went clear ( You can just barely make it out on my avatar, to the left ). Weird, that if folks prefer the tint, that the factory would go the other way. Beats me.

Personally I would have "baked" the tail light assemblies in an oven long enough so that I could easily remove the outer clear plastic and then painted the non-reflector surfaces black.

Personally I would have "baked" the tail light assemblies in an oven long enough so that I could easily remove the outer clear plastic and then painted the non-reflector surfaces black.

I did that with my supra, tons of fun lol. The tails came out perfectly and I can rip this stuff off in the future if I need to, thats the main reason I went down the tinting path

That looks great! I think it really works with black cars though. It looks fabulous. Oh, by the way, what do you put on your tires to make them so nice and shiny. I have tried different products and am kind of happy with the Tire Foam product but it doesn't look as nice as yours, nor when I get my car back from the dealer and they wash and clean the car. The tires always look much better than what I do myself. What do you use? Rey

That looks great! I think it really works with black cars though. It looks fabulous. Oh, by the way, what do you put on your tires to make them so nice and shiny. I have tried different products and am kind of happy with the Tire Foam product but it doesn't look as nice as your nor when I get my car back from the dealer and they wash and clean the car. the tires always look much better than what I do myself. What do you use? Rey

thank you rey! i appreciate the compliments very much.

I actually use costco tire foam, just spray and walk away. hehe i know im lazy but i've heard the stuff you apply with an applicator pad lasts longer, to be honest its sloppier and this stuff is extremely simple and effective. I'll check the brand when I get home but I used to use "Mothers" tire foam spray application which did a great job. let me know if you have any questions. i'm in the process of acquiring 255/50/18 Toyo Proxes, can't wait till those suckers get installed

after all that is that still the dealer license plate frame? no plate jewelry for the lexus? my dealer has one that is all black or chrome with just the lexus L logo at the bottom middle, i think it would be a great addition. there are many others online. otherwise your car looks very handsome.

That looks great! I think it really works with black cars though. It looks fabulous. Oh, by the way, what do you put on your tires to make them so nice and shiny. I have tried different products and am kind of happy with the Tire Foam product but it doesn't look as nice as your nor when I get my car back from the dealer and they wash and clean the car. the tires always look much better than what I do myself. What do you use? Rey

thank you rey! i appreciate the compliments very much.

I actually use costco tire foam, just spray and walk away. hehe i know im lazy but i've heard the stuff you apply with an applicator pad lasts longer, to be honest its sloppier and this stuff is extremely simple and effective. I'll check the brand when I get home but I used to use "Mothers" tire foam spray application which did a great job. let me know if you have any questions. i'm in the process of acquiring 255/50/18 Toyo Proxes, can't wait till those suckers get installed

You are going to love the Proxes! I got the 255/55-18s because I did want to have the wheel wells filled a tad more. 3.5% more. It makes a visual difference but doesn't mess up the specs of the car nor the MPGs...anyway, I've had them a full year now and will post pictures soon. They still look brand new and no sign of wear,or very minimal, after a year and 10K miles. I know I don't put them to the test but this should at least count for soething. Rey

You might want to consider taking off the roof rack. I really like that I did and it would look even better with your gorgeous all black car. Now with the blacked out tail lights the roof rack looks out of place. You need to continue that minimalist look! In my opinion. Take care and thanks for the pics. Rey in L.A.

You might want to consider taking off the roof rack. I really like that I did and it would look even better with your gorgeous all black car. Now with the blacked out tail lights the roof rack looks out of place. You need to continue that minimalist look! In my opinion. Take care and thanks for the pics. Rey in L.A.

thats actually a good idea, however i thought about it for a while and im still attempting to achieve the "macho" look with an SUV, hence the ramming guard and the blacked out tails. My intent is to make the SUV as non-girly as possible.... since the RX is a well-known girls car. I like the way yours looks, very sleek, although I would rather opt for a macho look but thank you for the suggestion rey.

after all that is that still the dealer license plate frame? no plate jewelry for the lexus? my dealer has one that is all black or chrome with just the lexus L logo at the bottom middle, i think it would be a great addition. there are many others online. otherwise your car looks very handsome.

thank you for the suggestion, i recently scoured ebay for "L" or "Lexus" license plate frames in Black and I couldn't find anything. I don't want to bring attention to my license plate lol as the cops won't like that but I could def go for a clean "L" or "Lexus" license plate cover in flat black. Let me know if you find anything.

thats actually a good idea, however i thought about it for a while and im still attempting to achieve the "macho" look with an SUV, hence the ramming guard and the blacked out tails. My intent is to make the SUV as non-girly as possible.... since the RX is a well-known girls car. I like the way yours looks, very sleek, although I would rather opt for a macho look but thank you for the suggestion rey.

The Toyo Proxes S/Ts will do much to make the car less princessy! Mine is still girly but more like Xena and less like Cinderella, like when I bought her...yes, it's a "Her". I can't

wait to see your car with the Proxes! It'll be a perfect compliment to your already "bitchen" car...and I haven't used that word in a long time...with good reason I suppose....take care,Rey