Rear Tail Light Warning Indication

texasbigdog

Hello,

1997 LS400 with 134K miles. One of the dash indicator lights is glowing and my owners manual says that it is warning for rear tail lights being out or bad.

However, everything works fine...running, brake and turn signal all function properly. Don't understand the warning light.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you get the light to go out.

Thanks

TexasBigDog

Hello,

1997 LS400 with 134K miles. One of the dash indicator lights is glowing and my owners manual says that it is warning for rear tail lights being out or bad.

However, everything works fine...running, brake and turn signal all function properly. Don't understand the warning light.

Thanks

TexasBigDog

Excluding the high mount there 6 dual filament bulbs in the rear, if more than one of these is replaced with LL, Long Life bulbs the indicator might come on, or be on intermittently.

There is a short in the trunk on the left side's wiring that is well documented but probably fixed by now.

But, I had the same issue and found that one brake light bulb, though working, was a bit beat up due to age (some short-like corrosion on it) and replacing it made the warning light go away.

Don't forget to check the bulb in the rear window behind the rear seats. That's the one that went bad on me and was rusted.

How do you get at this bulb on a 1997? I checked lexls.com but it shows a 1994 which is slightly different than a 1997.

Thanks

TexasBigDog

I had the same problem, and I was sick of looking at that warning light, so I just changed all of the bulbs--problem solved.
How do you get at this bulb on a 1997? I checked lexls.com but it shows a 1994 which is slightly different than a 1997.
Lift the third brake light housing up and pull it towards the front of the car, and it will come out.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem with my 94. the dash light was on, but all of the lights were working perfectly.

the rear passenger light's middle clips are broken and it would slightly vibrate. when i removed the lights, the semi spherical connections on the bottom of the bulbs were hallowed out. changed them, dash light went out. change them all while you are in there, they are cheap.

Hey there all...

also the small box in the boot that detects if there is a problem can also fail and cause the light to stay on... my celsior hasnt done it but have had the problem before in other imports, manily my old soarer, the light stayed on the dash constant, changed every bulb, they all worked fine, but light stayed on dash... replaced the fail lamp box in boot and problem went away...

hope this helps

Ed

Thanks

TexasBigDog

I had the same problem, and I was sick of looking at that warning light, so I just changed all of the bulbs--problem solved.
Lift the third brake light housing up and pull it towards the front of the car, and it will come out.

I had the same problem, also the cruise would trip off, I just went ahead and replaced all the bulbs even though they functioned. No problems since.

• 1 year later...