Timing Belt ?

Hi,

I live in France and own a 1992 SC 400. The local Lexus dealer is unable to change my timing belt. (the car has never been imported to France) the car runs perfectly and is only 46 000 mileaged. Due to its age, I intend to have this job done by my regular mechanics. I need to know what parts should be changed apart from the belt itself. I will order the parts directly. I will probably go for OEM parts.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Bodivo

Remember that your particular year of SC400 has a non-interference engine. Meaning that if the belt breaks, no damage will be done to the engine.

If you do not go out of town much, and it would not be a huge problem if the belt did break, you could wait a little while longer. Chances are it will not break for quite a long time though, unless the water pump failed.

Remember that your particular year of SC400 has a non-interference engine. Meaning that if the belt breaks, no damage will be done to the engine.

If you do not go out of town much, and it would not be a huge problem if the belt did break, you could wait a little while longer. Chances are it will not break for quite a long time though, unless the water pump failed.

Does the SC300 have this same non-interference feature on the engine?

Thanks a lot. I might take a chance to wait a little bit more. I just bought a repair manual (on CD). I want to show it to my mechanics to check out if he can manage this work. I hope there are no bolts or anything else requiring specific american tools?

Bodivo

Isn't it the same engine as the Lexus LS400 ???

Elle a été importée en France celle-là, non ?

:rolleyes:

Yes, I think it's the same 1UZ-FE as on the LS400. www.lexls.com has a good tutorial on this, under "engine mechanical".

I don't think there are any strange tools that you need. A torque wrench, of course. A harmonic balancer pulley remover to pull the crankshaft pulley.

There are some kits on ebay, do a search on "sc400 timing belt"

I have about 180k miles on my LS400 and will be doing mine in about 20k miles. I'll probably replace:

Timing belt

Water pump

Idler pulleys #1 and #2

Timing belt tensioner and pulley

Coils (only because mine are original)

Distributors

Rotors

I just did the sparkplugs and wires, or else would do these as well

Maybe crankshaft and camshaft seals?

Serpentine (drive) belt

...but if you're only at 46000mi (or km?) then I don't think you would need to touch it for awhile!

...so, which is faster, the SC400 or the TGV? :P

Bonne chance-

Rob

Isn't it the same engine as the Lexus LS400 ???

Elle a été importée en France celle-là, non ?

:rolleyes:

Yes, I think it's the same 1UZ-FE as on the LS400. www.lexls.com has a good tutorial on this, under "engine mechanical".

I don't think there are any strange tools that you need. A torque wrench, of course. A harmonic balancer pulley remover to pull the crankshaft pulley.

There are some kits on ebay, do a search on "sc400 timing belt"

I have about 180k miles on my LS400 and will be doing mine in about 20k miles. I'll probably replace:

Timing belt

Water pump

Idler pulleys #1 and #2

Timing belt tensioner and pulley

Coils (only because mine are original)

Distributors

Rotors

I just did the sparkplugs and wires, or else would do these as well

Maybe crankshaft and camshaft seals?

Serpentine (drive) belt

...but if you're only at 46000mi (or km?) then I don't think you would need to touch it for awhile!

...so, which is faster, the SC400 or the TGV? :P

Bonne chance-

Rob

Thank you Rob,

Your listing is about the same I've done. TGV is much faster than the SC 400, but the pleasure is 20 times bigger in the SC 400.

Merci encore et à bientôt

Bodivo

Bodiva:

Does your mechanic know of a good source to purchase Toyota Parts from in France?

Hi,

As the car has never been imported to France, I have to do my shoppinfg in the States. I was thinking of getting the parts from Lextreme. I have already purchased OEM parts from them and was satisfied.

Bodivo

46k? Brother you have a LONG way to go before you need to worry with the timing belt. There are people out there (foolishly) running 250k on the OEM belt. Not that smart, but it still runs.

Bodiva:

Does your mechanic know of a good source to purchase Toyota Parts from in France?

Hi,

As the car has never been imported to France, I have to do my shoppinfg in the States. I was thinking of getting the parts from Lextreme. I have already purchased OEM parts from them and was satisfied.

Bodivo

He's a good source too especially with engine parts and tuning, plus he's in California. The other source we've recommended is Carson Toyota. They can acquire TOM's Parts. I've looked for parts on Ebay before especially OEM Replacements. Don't buy the Service Kits or the Bodykits from there though.

I also have a 1992 SC400. Its has 149K, when I done the maintenance myself. I have listed below the following parts in order from start to finish. I also attached the link I used to complete the job. The link is for the LS400, but its the same principle, but you do not have to remove the radiator. Make sure you have plenty of room to accomplish the task. Just take your time, if you decide to do it yourself. I would also recommend running a can of Seafoam through your PCV valve to clean your injectors. A can of it through your gas tank when its full, and a can of it through your engine. This will insure everything is clean and ready to go for another 100k miles. Run the first can first before doing anything, this is known for fouling your spark plugs. So do the PCV valve first, then do the other two cans when you complete the job! How to accomplish this is on the can.

Air filter

Wires

Plugs

Caps

Rotors

Crank seals

Drive belt

Idler pulley

Drive belt tensioner

Thermostat

Timing belt tensioner

Crank seal

Idler Pulley #1

Idler Pulley #2

Water pump

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

I hope this helps! If you need further assistance, let me know!