Gasket Replacement

I went to have my 60k service done, long over due, bought thee car used with 80k-

so they hit me over the head, then tel me by the way your valve cover gasket and your transmission pan gasket need to be changed as well, I rememberr from when i used to work on my own cars, gaskets with o-rings if needed run about 5-20 dollars-

THEN HERE IT COMES, they want 960 dollars JUST for changing those gaskets-

are these platinum or gold gaskets? i went to rockauto.com to check the prices and sure enough the i can get them with shipping for around 25 dollars- what is the deal with the outrageous fee? is this normal?

should i change it myself? or have my friend (who is a mechanic) do the work?

I went to have my 60k service done, long over due, bought thee car used with 80k-

so they hit me over the head, then tel me by the way your valve cover gasket and your transmission pan gasket need to be changed as well, I rememberr from when i used to work on my own cars, gaskets with o-rings if needed run about 5-20 dollars-

THEN HERE IT COMES, they want 960 dollars JUST for changing those gaskets-

are these platinum or gold gaskets? i went to rockauto.com to check the prices and sure enough the i can get them with shipping for around 25 dollars- what is the deal with the outrageous fee? is this normal?

should i change it myself? or have my friend (who is a mechanic) do the work?

It's a no-brainer, DIY or Have a mechanic do the labor. ;)

Get a second opinion, or look for yourself, to confirm that those gaskets are really leaking, and not just leaving a bit of a dark stain around the edge, which does not warrant the work. I don't believe they need replacing, and the shop is just looking for profit. Bit of spray cleaner and a rag, and then charge you big money for stuff they didn't even do.

The gaskets you found for $25.00 aren't Lexus OEM that's for sure.

Get a second opinion, or look for yourself, to confirm that those gaskets are really leaking, and not just leaving a bit of a dark stain around the edge, which does not warrant the work. I don't believe they need replacing, and the shop is just looking for profit. Bit of spray cleaner and a rag, and then charge you big money for stuff they didn't even do.

The gaskets you found for $25.00 aren't Lexus OEM that's for sure.

Their logic was, because therre are dark spots it means they are leaking, when i get it back from the 60k service, i will spray and clean, and see what happens.

btw, would it be ill-advised to use silicone sealant on the permiter of the gaskets?

Do NOT use silicone sealer. That stuff is best reserved for specific applications, and used VERY sparingly. At the cost of Lexus gaskets, if you really do need to do this repair, which I doubt, the gaskets will work best dry.

• 1 year later...