New Head Gaskets And Still Smokes

I just put new head gaskets on my 93 es300 and it smokes so bad. The smoke just rolls out. It smells like gas and the heater doesnt work. I put all new gaskets, Thermostat and cleaned everything good. I am lost I thought for sure the head gaskets would fix this problem. It was doing the same thing before I put on the gaskets. It also idles funny but that is probally because it is burning to much gas.

I read somewhere something about the power steering fluid going into the intake and burning. If anybody can help i would really appreciate it.

I just put new head gaskets on my 93 es300 and it smokes so bad. The smoke just rolls out. It smells like gas and the heater doesnt work. I put all new gaskets, Thermostat and cleaned everything good. I am lost I thought for sure the head gaskets would fix this problem. It was doing the same thing before I put on the gaskets. It also idles funny but that is probally because it is burning to much gas.

I read somewhere something about the power steering fluid going into the intake and burning. If anybody can help i would really appreciate it.

what kind of smoke? is it losing coolant? whats the oil look like? any engine codes?

no its not losing coolant. I have no engine codes. The smoke smells like gas, It is kinda blueish white. The oil and coolant is not mixing. I have been working on this thing for months and can not figure it out. Could it be the injectors? Thanks for the help

I had a similar problem last year - idle was messed up, no acceleration, the smell of gas from the tailpipe and no CEL light - turned out to be a bad ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor. Because the sensor was giving false coolant temp readings to the ECU, the ECU retarded the timing to compensate (as it's supposed to do but only when the engine is cold) and injected more fuel into the cylinders than it should have.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a new ECU on and it dos not smoke. The timing keeps moving. It did this before the ECU too. Now the timing seems to be off I will set it, rotate the engine and it is good then I start car up and run it. Then I check all the marks on the cams and crank and they are off again. It is a new belt could it be the tensioner? Thanks again

I put a new ECU on and it dos not smoke. The timing keeps moving. It did this before the ECU too. Now the timing seems to be off I will set it, rotate the engine and it is good then I start car up and run it. Then I check all the marks on the cams and crank and they are off again. It is a new belt could it be the tensioner? Thanks again

When you check the timing marks, are you sure that cylinder #1 is at TDC, and not just looking at the timing marks when engine stops???

If the engine runs, then the timing could only be off (maybe) one tooth.

My suggestion is to double check to see that cylinder #1 is at TDC, then follow the book for timing belt installation.