Trailer Hitch For Rx 350

I am looking to aquire a used trailer hitch for my RX 350 for the purpose of hauling bicycles only, hence the wiring harness is unnecessary. What year RX's can I look for with a hitch that will fit my 2007?

I am looking to aquire a used trailer hitch for my RX 350 for the purpose of hauling bicycles only, hence the wiring harness is unnecessary. What year RX's can I look for with a hitch that will fit my 2007?

eBay just listed two hitches for the RX. With shipping each one would be around $150 if you are the winning bidder. That is about half price of the dealer's offering. Since you don't need electrical, that is an advantage. You might save an eBay search and then be notified by email when a new listing is made for the item you want.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

• 3 weeks later...

eBay just listed two hitches for the RX. With shipping each one would be around $150 if you are the winning bidder. That is about half price of the dealer's offering. Since you don't need electrical, that is an advantage. You might save an eBay search and then be notified by email when a new listing is made for the item you want.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Thanks for the tip...you saved me nearly $100! Bought mine from ebay for just under $150 including shipping! Now I just have to find a trailer wiring harness that I'm confident I can install without messing up the electrical system.

You must have changed your mind about the wiring harness since the original post said it wasn't needed. Now you're in for an adventure and a lot of research.

If your RX is not equipped with a "towing package" you will need a converter box and a wiring kit.

If you have the towing package then only the wiring kit is needed. They are about $90 from Lexus based on other posts on this forum. Toyota might have the same part for the Highlander for less. I haven't seen the kits advertised anywhere and the off-brand hitches don't seem to offer them for their hitches for an RX. Lexus must have a patent on them.

Saving a few bucks on the stand-alone hitch may end up costing close to a fully equipped stock hitch from Lexus after the wiring is added.

You must have changed your mind about the wiring harness since the original post said it wasn't needed. Now you're in for an adventure and a lot of research.

If your RX is not equipped with a "towing package" you will need a converter box and a wiring kit.

If you have the towing package then only the wiring kit is needed. They are about $90 from Lexus based on other posts on this forum. Toyota might have the same part for the Highlander for less. I haven't seen the kits advertised anywhere and the off=brand hitches don't seem to offer them for their hitches for an RX. Lexus must have a patent on them.

Saving a few bucks on the stand-alone hitch may end up costing close to a fully equipped stock hitch from Lexus after the wiring is added.

I never intended to buy a Lexus hitch...priced one at the dealership and it was about $800 for the hitch/wiring and install...NO THANKS!!

My RX has the "towing prep" package...I've already priced the wiring install at Jiffy Hitch... ~$100 installed...so let's see - $250 TOTAL vs. $800...somehow I don't feel like I made the wrong decision. :lol:

The key is the "install" costs. They are completely absurd at the dealership. There are several posts on this topic. Do a site search for "trailer hitch".

The hitch with wiring cost me $280 from a Lexus dealer.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry254728

The key is the "install" costs. They are completely absurd at the dealership. There are several posts on this topic. Do a site search for "trailer hitch".

Thanks for posting...I may still go that route...I could always resell the ebay hitch. I would rather have the Lexus wiring. I thought the parts would've cost more of the $800 quoted price for parts/installation.

Thanks for posting...I may still go that route...I could always resell the ebay hitch. I would rather have the Lexus wiring. I thought the parts would've cost more of the $800 quoted price for parts/installation.

Installed the "ebay" hitch Friday afternoon - easy install - remove two tow loops (one from each side held on at the two rear hitch mount points), install the Curt Manufacturing hitch with 6 included bolts/washers and torque bolts to 36 ft. lbs. Hitch cost was $148.xx including shipping. Today I picked up the wiring harness I ordered Friday at a local Lexus dealership - cost $74.xx...so total cost was $222.xx for parts. The wiring install should take no more than an hour...going by the directions posted by landesjm. Thanks jml!!! AND a big thanks for the part number for the wiring harness - 08942-48870-BB.

The Curt manufacturing hitch appears to be a well made hitch with strong welds and very nice gloss black finish. I will post pics soon.