Google Maps' Street View Option

TA in KC

When Google Earth first came out, I remember using it for the first time and being absolutely fascinated with the quality of it's aerial photos, and even more with the fact that the program was free.

A couple days ago a friend was talking about the "street view" option newly added into Google Maps. I thought it sounded kind of neat, so I gave it a try this week. It is pretty cool, but almost disturbing to know that the only thing someone needs is my address to get such a high-quality photo! I can only wonder what this technology will be like in 5 years.

post-48798-1207256273_thumb.png

When Google Earth first came out, I remember using it for the first time and being absolutely fascinated with the quality of it's aerial photos, and even more with the fact that the program was free.

A couple days ago a friend was talking about the "street view" option newly added into Google Maps. I thought it sounded kind of neat, so I gave it a try this week. It is pretty cool, but almost disturbing to know that the only thing someone needs is my address to get such a high-quality photo! I can only wonder what this technology will be like in 5 years.

Oh my gosh, a house in Overland Park that actually looks unique!!!

I use to live there, from 1989 to 1995, graduated from BVN, two years at KU, and on one horribly cold February morning in 1995 at KU, walked up the hill to be greeted by sub zero winds coming from the western side, turned around, walked back down the hill to my apartment on Tenn. street, called my folks to tell them "I'm done, transferring to Carolina in the fall", then called my cheating girlfriend and told her "we're done, I'm tranferring to Carolina in the fall, !Removed!", then called admissions and withdrew from all classes, and haven't looked back since. Admissions lady asked me why, and I said "two years of freezing my butt off, for a 2.9 gpa, just sucks. I'd have a 3.5 if I didn't skip so many classes due to this bitter cold."

Granted, I'm from Alabama, so you can imagine the shock. I knew we had made a mistake when we moved there in December of 89' from B'ham. Left 65 degree weather, to be greated with -65 degree windchills.

I use to live there, from 1989 to 1995, graduated from BVN, two years at KU, and on one horribly cold February morning in 1995 at KU, walked up the hill to be greeted by sub zero winds coming from the western side, turned around, walked back down the hill to my apartment on Tenn. street, called my folks to tell them "I'm done, transferring to Carolina in the fall", then called my cheating girlfriend and told her "we're done, I'm tranferring to Carolina in the fall, !Removed!", then called admissions and withdrew from all classes, and haven't looked back since. Admissions lady asked me why, and I said "two years of freezing my butt off, for a 2.9 gpa, just sucks. I'd have a 3.5 if I didn't skip so many classes due to this bitter cold."

Granted, I'm from Alabama, so you can imagine the shock. I knew we had made a mistake when we moved there in December of 89' from B'ham. Left 65 degree weather, to be greated with -65 degree windchills.

Yes, we have the extremes of hot and cold weather here in KC, but I have learned to live with it. Aside from that, I think life here is perfect and I don't think I will ever leave the area.

When you say BVN, I assume you are referring to Blue Valley North High School? My neighborhood is directly east of there. Small world!

Yes, we have the extremes of hot and cold weather here in KC, but I have learned to live with it. Aside from that, I think life here is perfect and I don't think I will ever leave the area.

When you say BVN, I assume you are referring to Blue Valley North High School? My neighborhood is directly east of there. Small world!

My brother still lives there, and seems to like it. I like to visit, but after a week or two, i get an itch to come back to NC. If for anything, to stop being starred at due to my acent. Although, I must admit, it sure does play well with the ladies, or at least it did in my 20's. Hahha... Yep, BVN..Blue Valley North. We use to live down along 119th and Switzer, in Nottingham. Then moved to Leawood after I left home for school. Man, has that placed ever grown! I use to make it down 119th from Switzer to school in about 10 minutes, with just a couple stop lights.... now, well, you know the story.

Is KenTacoHut still there at 119th & Metcalf? That was the hangout spot for us in highschool.

My brother still lives there, and seems to like it. I like to visit, but after a week or two, i get an itch to come back to NC. If for anything, to stop being starred at due to my acent. Although, I must admit, it sure does play well with the ladies, or at least it did in my 20's. Hahha... Yep, BVN..Blue Valley North. We use to live down along 119th and Switzer, in Nottingham. Then moved to Leawood after I left home for school. Man, has that placed ever grown! I use to make it down 119th from Switzer to school in about 10 minutes, with just a couple stop lights.... now, well, you know the story.

Is KenTacoHut still there at 119th & Metcalf? That was the hangout spot for us in highschool.

"KenTacoHut" is still there, although the last time I was in there was about 10 years ago. There has been tons of new residential and commercial development here in O.P. the past few years, most of it is south of 135th Street. There are 2 or 3 of those KenTacoHuts near here now.

I think I remember reading somewhere that 119th and Metcalf is now the one of the busiest intersections in the Kansas City area. I guess most of the traffic comes from Sprint's world headquaters, which they probably weren't quite finished building when you left KC. I live in Dover Estates, right across from BVN's football field, and just south of Sprint. Luckily there are plenty of trees to cover up the view of those ugly buildings that make up the Sprint campus.

Nottingham...know right where that is. Play golf over near there sometimes at Overland Park Golf Course.