Replaced The Power Antenna

91LexusLS400

Used the lexls tutorial to replace the antenna on my 91. Went just like the instructions said it would. Best $18 fix I've done in a while (buy now on ebay). The best way to get it right is to remove the motor, take it apart and coil the cord up inside the motor housing with the antenna fully retracted. The set of instructions that the antenna came with tell you to feed the cord in from the top and let the motor take it by turning the radio on/off. It does take it in, but I could'nt get it to take it all the way in. Thanks again lexls.com

The best way to get it right is to remove the motor, take it apart and coil the cord up inside the motor housing with the antenna fully retracted. The set of instructions that the antenna came with tell you to feed the cord in from the top and let the motor take it by turning the radio on/off.

I agree, I tried it 2 or 3 times the other way then gave up and did it the way you stated. Worked like a charm. The second time I had to replace the antenna (yes I've replaced it twice after I forgot to shut my radio off at the car wash) I just went right for the coiled up way and had it done in less than 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the mast on my 92 ls today. I used the lexls tutorial as well. Took the unit out, opened it, removed all the "dead" antenna debris, (there were 3 different pieces) cleaned up some of the old lube. Hooked the unit back onto the car and verified it was in the down position by turning the radio on then off and watching the drive gear move first in one direction then the other. Put the unit back on the bench and fed the nylon feed down into the unit. I reached a stopping point and had to pull the drive gear up and out to feed the nylon all the way in till the mast bottomed. Reinstalled the drive gear then wrapped the nylon feed up and into the plastic drum, applied a bit of lube and closed it up. Installed the unit in the car and it works like a champ. Radio reception has improved as well, especially on AM. Thanks all!!!