Door Sensor Issue

HomerTHX1138

93 LS400

This hasn't been a big deal (sometimes interior light doesn't come on) until this week when I entered the car, set the keys down inside to pop the hood, exit and close the door, then have the auto-relock feature lock the doors because the car didn't think anyone ever entered it.

I do not see the plunger type sensor on many other cars I've owned in the hinge area.

I did a search on "door sensor" and "door sensor open" and found 100s of threads but none relevant to my issue.

Anyone know what the prognosis and fix for this issue is? DIY or shop.

Thanks,

Matt

93 LS400

This hasn't been a big deal (sometimes interior light doesn't come on) until this week when I entered the car, set the keys down inside to pop the hood, exit and close the door, then have the auto-relock feature lock the doors because the car didn't think anyone ever entered it.

I do not see the plunger type sensor on many other cars I've owned in the hinge area.

I did a search on "door sensor" and "door sensor open" and found 100s of threads but none relevant to my issue.

Anyone know what the prognosis and fix for this issue is? DIY or shop.

Thanks,

Matt

You need new courtesy switches. You can find replacement instructions on lexls.com, as well as the part number for them. Last I checked they cost about $20.

I had the same problem and replaced the switches. They are located in the door jams under a rubber cover. The replacement switch will come with a harness and a plug, (about $15 at Park Place online). Rather then dig into the trim work the plunger part of the switch can be replaced by removing the nylock tiewrap and pulling out the releases on either side of the switch. The contacts will come out with a slight pull. Clean the contact surfaces and install in the new plunger. Add the small nylock and set the rubber and install in the car. Done.