2009 Murano Le Vs Rx350

Does the top of the line Murano compare favorably with the RX? I know the Murano has better technology ie Nav.

The interior has improved greatly though I haven't seen the RX interior.

Never use captive nav systems as a comparitive measure of various vehicles. Go out and buy a Garmin 680 and you will understand why.

I can't imagine that even a fully equipped Murano would be able to compete on price with the RX. Murano is too much less expensive.

Does the top of the line Murano compare favorably with the RX? I know the Murano has better technology ie Nav.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Maybe the RX vs. MDX or Murano vs. Pilot vs. Highlander makes more sense. If you like to save money, you can get the Murano with almost all the bells and whistles from the RX for a lot cheaper...but the drive/handling/comfort are BIG different. I test drove the 2007 Murano, fully loaded for 36K, but I decided to bought the RX for $10,000 more.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Maybe the RX vs. MDX or Murano vs. Pilot vs. Highlander makes more sense. If you like to save money, you can get the Murano with almost all the bells and whistles from the RX for a lot cheaper...but the drive/handling/comfort are BIG different. I test drove the 2007 Murano, fully loaded for 36K, but I decided to bought the RX for $10,000 more.

I thought the Murano was RWD or R/AWD, in which the FWD and/or the F/awd RX wouldn't be able to hold a candle in comparison to the much safer handling of R/AWD or even RWD alone.

Not sure if it's apples to oranges any more. I specifically compared the 2009 LE. The LE has BIG upgrades in its interior which I really think was the big differentiator between the 2 cars. From all the reviews I have read, the Murano ride is quite good. No one beats the Lexus for the level of cabin noise but its ride has always been sited as mushy.

I owned a 2002 RX and it's okay. Extremely reliable and a very comfortable ride. The interior was luxury back in 2002 but every manufacturers has been raising the bar since then. LE has dual moon roof. Automatic rear door. Very nice Nav and bluetooth. CVT engine has been bumped up in horsepower.

2 things that stood out about the Lexus for me were the reliability and interior. It's what I thought made it a "luxury" brand. But the Murano has a great reliability track record and now they've greatly improved the interior.

Actually...I would buy the Murano over the RX350 in this comparison.

I drove one of the new ones, its EXTREMELY nice and very upmarket. Better technology than the RX, rides just as good, excellent materials and build quality. Its an excelent vehicle.

If the brand isn't important to you...check out the Murano.

I haven't test drive the 2009 LE Murano yet, so I can't really judge. But if the new 2009 Murano has better technology than the previous Murano, a reduce in price is definitely a red flag that you oughta think about.

I had the RX400h, so it's a little bit better than the RX350. It has CVT like the Murano, in which the RX350 does not. The RX is more stable to drive in highway than Murano, nicer interior design, and definitely MORE quiet.

Now, if you just want a base model, than you should get the Murano because the base Murano is like $10,000 less than the base RX350. But if you want a fully loaded, an RX350 fully loaded would only add in about $4,000 from the base, but the Murano would add in almost $8,000 from its base. (RX350 base cost so high because a lot of options had already put as standards). Not to mention you'd probably get really good deals on RX350 now since they are having a redesign next year. And finally, Lexus resale value is just remarkable. Nissan resale still way behind Honda & Toyota.

I recently purchase a 2009 Murano LE and am very pleased with it. The other vehicle I was considering was the RX350. I came very close to purchasing one until I decided to checkout the Murano. The interior is much nicer than the RX. As said before the Murano is much more technology advanced than the RX. One thing in particular that is much better is the navigation. Not only is the Murano a hard drive based nav but you can actually use many features of the nav and bluetooth while the vehicle is in motion. No need to get some aftermarket device to unlock the nav. I found the Murano to be very quiet and the ride is as good as the RX. I found that the RX's seats were hard and small. Also the gas mileage is very good. I don't have quiet 1000 miles on it yet but I am getting 20.5 mles per gallon in the city. I am sure that will get better. I highly recommend it Murano over the RX.

I agree with most of you in respect that comparing the Murano and RX to be apples to oranges, but strangely enough, when I sold Nissans in '03-'05 the majority of people that were checking out the Murano, were indeed comparing it to the RX. They liked the sleek look of it and the way it drove. The styling on the Highlander and Pilot at the time, they called it bland and a bit boring.

I agree with most of you in respect that comparing the Murano and RX to be apples to oranges, but strangely enough, when I sold Nissans in '03-'05 the majority of people that were checking out the Murano, were indeed comparing it to the RX. They liked the sleek look of it and the way it drove. The styling on the Highlander and Pilot at the time, they called it bland and a bit boring.

Some for reasons I've always thought that the Pilot & Highlander are not mid-sized SUVs since they are 7-passengers vehicle, but I guess they can't be consider full-sized either. I also think it's unfair to compare these two to the Murano since the Pilot & Highlander needed to be in a boxy shape in order to have the space available to carry 7 people. So sometime, it may not be the most attractive SUV out there.

Conclusion: I don't think the Murano has any competition. It's not a luxury brand so its can't compete with Lexus' RX, Acura's MDX, Infiniti's FX35, or BMW's X5. It's smaller than the Pilot & Highlander so it would not fit in the same category. Maybe the Hyndai's Santa Fe might be the Murano's only competition.

having owned an 04 maxima... I will NEVER buy another Nissan...EVER!!!! unreliable clunky POS cars

I love my 08 rx350

Sorry to hear about your experience. I sold many Nissans to my family members and there cars are still in their driveways or they traded up for new ones. My sister bought a new 05 Pathfinder from me and she beats the hell out of it with the way she drives. She puts gas in it, and changes the oil and the only problem she had with hers was that the passenger side mirror would adjust up and down, but not right and left. Mileage on the ticker is almost 70,000.

I haven't test drive the 2009 LE Murano yet, so I can't really judge. But if the new 2009 Murano has better technology than the previous Murano, a reduce in price is definitely a red flag that you oughta think about.

Why? Technology gets cheaper as time goes forward.

I had the RX400h, so it's a little bit better than the RX350. It has CVT like the Murano, in which the RX350 does not. The RX is more stable to drive in highway than Murano, nicer interior design, and definitely MORE quiet.

How can you say these things since you've never driven a new Murano by your own admission?

Why? Technology gets cheaper as time goes forward.

How can you say these things since you've never driven a new Murano by your own admission?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the 2009 Murano is better than the 2007 (which is only 1 year model different since they never released 2008 models), even so, the 2009 probably get a 10 if the 2007 got a 8-9. Technology from the same company don't improve the quality to superior over night, so you can't argue that the 2009 technology is much better, it's only BETTER.

I agree with you that technology will get cheaper, but only when it's mass produced or it's low in demand. So if you plan to keep your Murano for life, then you should consider buying it. But don't expect it to retain any value since it has been degraded when it's still brand new.

Only 1 model year different...but its an all new model.

Your argument doesn't make any sense...

That's my point, read back my post carefully!

"All new model" means it's an all new redesign, it doesn't mean it's an all new state-of-the-art technology compare to last year model. As I said, technology doesn't improve overnight, and the Murano is no exception. Don't believe everything Nissan said.

But like Messerchmidt said, never buy anything when it comes out the first year. There's always a price to pay for early adapters.

I defy you to find me some data that shows first year models have a lower reliability rate than later run models.

Check out the 02 Ford Explorer...(what we traded in on our 09 RX last week)...I GUARANTEE that "first year redesign" (first year for IRS) has FAR MORE SERIOUS issues than later models...

serious:

defective transmission

defective torque converter

defective rear end

defective rear axle seals

defective wheel bearings

and not so serious:

defective heater fan motor

defective 6-disc changer

And those are only the issues we know of from personal experience...

I think that Murano is not comparable with RX350 since Murano is in the Sport MID-SIZE and RX is in the Luxury MID-SIZE class..Personally don't like the "RoboCop" front side of Murano but the rest is very well looking...Never drive that car so cannot judge.

Check out the 02 Ford Explorer...(what we traded in on our 09 RX last week)...I GUARANTEE that "first year redesign" (first year for IRS) has FAR MORE SERIOUS issues than later models...

serious:

defective transmission

defective torque converter

defective rear end

defective rear axle seals

defective wheel bearings

and not so serious:

defective heater fan motor

defective 6-disc changer

And those are only the issues we know of from personal experience...

You can't compare an Explorer or Ford workmanship to a Japanese carmaker, even Nissan...and that comes from a previous Explorer owner.;

I had several of the issues you had and my Explorer was two model years into a minor refresh.

While I agree, if you can wait you may as well wait if only for your peace of mind. But when you're dealing with well made cars like these, I'd buy a first model year if it wasn't convienient to wait.