Ball Joint Replacement

I need a right front ball joint. Is this a repair that's worth doing myself? my quote is $248 + tax.

what kind of special equipment would I need to do this? What would the replacement parts cost?

How long can I wait on this repair... I only put 5k miles on the car per year, and the play in the wheel is not excessive at this point.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the part alone cost 150.00. Just ask Lexus to hook it up. I think they did mine for 175 w/parts.

I need a right front ball joint. Is this a repair that's worth doing myself? my quote is $248 + tax.

what kind of special equipment would I need to do this? What would the replacement parts cost?

How long can I wait on this repair... I only put 5k miles on the car per year, and the play in the wheel is not excessive at this point.

thanks!

right........i can see ANY dealer "hooking it up" i mean u trying to tell us that the part was 150 and u got the dealer to put it on for 25 labor? hahaha yeah not happening! labor is a 100 a hour here at the Memphis dealership! and i know ball joints aren't a 20 min swap! so anyways i was talking to someone about this said they got after market replacements for like 45 each side and did it themselves! it really depends on you.........the better ? is can u do it? do u have the time? patience? i don't but luckily i have a close friend whose a great mechanic and his shop has serviced ALL my cars since like 8 years ago!

is that quote for both sides or just one?

Brian

• 1 month later...

Good point sakataj.. A dealership will never hook anyone up!! lol. whatta kidder that guy is..they will take you for everything you got!!! Try to find a reputable mechanic, good luck or get a manual and try it yourself..

thanks!

ALWAYS replace lower ball joints in pairs. If one is bad the other can't be far behind unless some dunce already replaced the left w/o replacing the right. If you're not sure or have no records just replace both. If a lower joint fails you risk THIS:

failure.jpg