Rattleing Noise

I have a 2006 GS 430. I've noticed a noise that appears to be coming from the front left speaker area. Just recently I took the car into the dealer to have it checked out, the dealer told me that they added additional foam sound proofing and tightened up my drivers side door panel. The noise is still there. I don't expect the LS ride on my GS but don't think we should have to live with a rattle noise. Has anyone else experienced this? I want additional info before I go back to the dealer and raise hell. Any help is appreciated.

-George

I have the same rattling noise coming from the same area. Generally only happens when it is below freezing. If I place my hand in between the speaker and the windshield and push a little, the noise disappears. (Not a safe way to drive.... :P ) I haven't had the time to go in and have them fix it, and now that it is getting warmer, I may wait until next winter. Anyway...try pushing on it near the windshield. The more info you can give them, the better off you will be in getting it fixed. Let me know if you do get it fixed...so I know what to expect when and if I take it in.

I had one other rattling noise. It came from the center display unit. It was not a proper fit. In December, I had them take it out wrapped felt around it, and then wrap more felt around the connection points. Haven't had a problem with that rattle ever since. The car had only 19,000 miles on it at the time so they did it for no charge.

--Duckman

EDIT - I just put two and two together...when you said front left speaker area, I thought you meant the speaker on the dash by the windshield. Sorry...after re-reading your post, it appears that you meant the speaker in the door.

If the noise is still there, bring it back to them. here is a check list from my dealer when they did my rattle:

Install noise kit, Install wind noise kit. Install felt on dashboard pins, windshield cowl, AC vents, where dashboard comes in contact with the firewall and remove windshield clips. Have your dealer perform the whole list and the noise should be gone.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '06 430. Every time the temperature goes to freezing or below I get a rattle from behind the Nav system. The dealer was advised and they say they put foam around the winshield/dashboard interface, but this did nothing. This has happened for three winters now and it's getting worse. At the last servicing I advised the service technician who told me " that Lexus makes a good car, but its not perfect". My old Mercedes S430, BMW 540 and X5 never had rattles like these.

It's just a rattle, but it freaks me out when I drive a rental Buick that's peaceful and quiet!

I have an '06 430. Every time the temperature goes to freezing or below I get a rattle from behind the Nav system. The dealer was advised and they say they put foam around the winshield/dashboard interface, but this did nothing. This has happened for three winters now and it's getting worse. At the last servicing I advised the service technician who told me " that Lexus makes a good car, but its not perfect". My old Mercedes S430, BMW 540 and X5 never had rattles like these.

It's just a rattle, but it freaks me out when I drive a rental Buick that's peaceful and quiet!

Make sure that your dealer does what I stated above. I had squeaking that was unnerving from my center display (Nav system). Have them take it out and wrap it. The squeak has not returned.

--Duckman

• 4 months later...
The rattle can also come from the center AC vent as well, have them wrap those in felt.

I have an 06 GS430 and I have experienced all the rattles and squeaks. Most annoying one came from passenger door panel, rattling when bass is pumping or going over bumpy roads. It is really disappointing. Everywhere you touch, all the plastics in the interior SQUEAKS!!

i had my 06 awd gs300 worked on by the dealer, felt wrap everything and the squeaks are mostly gone. HOWEVER, the little squeaks are still there when going over bumps that makes the car feel cheap. i thought about this for a while and i remembered that back in 1996 or so, i bought a toyota camry v6 xle brand new and had developed this squeak problem after 20k miles or so. got sick of it and started buying german cars ever since. i got rid of a M3 covertible to find peace and quiet with this car (i'm 43 now) and i'm probably not going to keep this car for long because of this very problem. sure the car will last a long time but the daily drive needs to feel solid, not just "mostly" quiet. i think i'll put up with the little problems here and there with the german cars for that totally solid feel i got from all my previous german cars (m3, 740il, e320, s500). I also currently have the porsche cayenne s (06, wife's car) and a 02 911 turbo (wknd car) and yup, these cars are rock solid with no rattles or squeaks. when i was buying the lexus, i was so impressed with the stereo (ML), i fotgot to listen for the squeaks! i just assumed that they wouldn't be there. i'm a dumbass but just expected better from lexus.

they haven't improved this issue for over 10 years. just unbelievable.

• 1 month later...

:chairshot: :ph34r:

I hate rattles more than I hate about anything else in life. The worst is in the morning when your tired and want nothing but peace a quite and every noise no matter how quite is amplified becuase you just woke up.

LEASE YOUR NEXT CAR

that's my advise. You have the car for the best 32,000 miles of it's life and you move on. I've had my GS 460 for 6 months and just had my 5,000 mile service. I'm coming out of a '05 RX330 that did nothing but !Removed! and moan when going over bumps and I'm just waiting for the same rattle goblins to invade my 460. Maybe they'll never come....

When do the rattles start? I'm almost @ 31,000 miles and it's still whisper quiet.

I am almost at 40k and the only rattles I hear are the typical rough road induced ones you would hear in any vehicle.

Maybe I should just shup up and not jinx myself.

steviej

The rattles usually starts in the 1st year or when it gets cold. If you dont have any rattles in the 1st year, then you dont have the dash rattle problem. I have own many cars that have no rattles after 4 or 5 years, even in rough road. Rattles have never been a big problem for Toyota / Lexus until the recent designs.

• 1 month later...
The rattles usually starts in the 1st year or when it gets cold. If you dont have any rattles in the 1st year, then you dont have the dash rattle problem. I have own many cars that have no rattles after 4 or 5 years, even in rough road. Rattles have never been a big problem for Toyota / Lexus until the recent designs.

I took my car in a few months ago due to the dash rattle and they addressed it. They removed the dash, added padding, and etc. But when they put my radio back, they slightly misaligned it. There is spacing between the nav/radio and the dash piece that covers the nav/radio on the left side. The spacing is very small.. maybe i can fit a business card through it, but it irritates the crap out of me. I mentioned this to the lexus service personnel and he told me that they couldn't do anything about it since the nav/radio not adjustable.. he told me that it is a computer that removes and installs the nav/radio piece and that it just fits in. is this true? do you guys think i can get this adjusted so that it fits better? should i try another lexus dealer? Please advise...

I had the same problem, after they reinstall my dash, they left a big gap between the center AC vent and the nav unit. I did not want them to remove the dash again because I did not want more problems. The dash rattles is gone but 4 more rattle develop after a year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with a GS 350 with about 20K. Always when it gets cold. I've had the car for about 18 months so the initial warranty is over. Did Lexus do anyone's fix as a warranty claim or did you have to pony up?

I've shoved some cardboard between the windshield and the dash to see if that eliminates the problem. Just an attempt to see what's up.

The rattles are fix under warranty.

Thanks, G Man.

I called Lexus of Toledo today and am scheduled for after the holidays. The service guy seemed to know very well what was happening. He said "when it's 90 degrees there is no problem but when we get down about 10 or 20, there are ...." I'll need to leave the car for a day or two and there is a loaner so I'll report back.

He also implied that Lexus knew about this so I'm sure that there will be warranty coverage.

Jan 5, 2009 Update: I took the car in to Lexus of Toledo today and the service writer said there are two service bulletins out. Evidently, there is a lot of plastic in the dash and when things get cold, the plastic shrinks and becomes a little brittle and does not make a solid contact with the windshield which may be one of them. I'm guessing the other is when the radio or nav stack as well as the glove box bump the underside of the dash on a hard bump.

We'll see what happens.

Jan 8, 2009; The car is back and the rattle appears to be fixed although I did not have a chance to really take some back rods as a test. It was a warranty repair with an nice RX as the loaner (my request to try one) and I saved a lot of money because my wife's 8 year old MDX is still better than this new Lexus. Funny how stuff works out.

December 2009 Update: It has turned cold here again and in a couple of recent drives, there was just a few little creaks and noise in the dash. Much better but I really want a very quiet car (the LS400, ES300, and an Acura TL that I have owned over the last 15 years were like tombs inside). My lease is up in June and I'm thinking that the new TL AWD looks very, very good.

• 1 month later...

I just want to say thank you, because I recently bought a GS 300 and I am so annoyed with the rattling sounds coming from the dashboard. I tried turning up the volume of the radio but that is not a solution. Everyone's feedback has giving me the info I needed to go back to the dealer and have them fixed it. My wife calls my new car the "RATTLER." Hopefully the LEXUS dealer fixes this if not I will be very pist Lexus "Rattler," owner.

Thanks again and wish me luck.

Please advice,

David

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used 06 300 AWD August of 08. Also got the rattling problem noticed as weather here got colder. Lexus did authorize repair even though had over 50K on the odometer. The problem is definitely better but the rattle is still there. It seems to be coming more from aorund windshield area. Should I return to dealer and have them try to fix or just live with this. I had a 02 GS that did not have a single rattle. I am very disappointed by this , this is only complaint otherwise great car.

Hi, I had the same annoying creak coming from the general area of the left side dash speaker.

Thinking that the creak was coming from the speaker cover I removed it several times, tried padding it with felt and other materials but nothing worked. The last

time I removed the speaker itself which is held with two hex bolts and was suprised to find the famous White Clip directly below the speaker. (I thought it could only be accessed by removing the dash). By pressing lightly on the white plastic clip I found that I could exactly reproduce the annoying creak. I sprayed the white plastic clip with silicone, pressed it again and the creak had gone.

Don't know how long the silicone will last but at present the car is creak free.

With the speaker removed I also noticed that there were two plastic heater

pipes which were running very tight to each other so I sprayed them as well and wedged

a small piece of sponge between them, just in case they decide to join in the chorus.

• 1 month later...