Air Conditioning Bogs Down Engine

theoldpaths

I have a friend who used to have an old Nissan Maxima that did the same thing. He had to replace the whole compressor.

That might not necessarily be the case for you though. Is the clutch engaging when you turn on the A/C? Is it staying engaged or disengaging quickly?

Is the clutch engaging when you turn on the A/C? Is it staying engaged or disengaging quickly?

Thanks for the reply

How can I tell? I'm sorry, I know carpentry and computers but not a whole lot about cars.

The clutch is the black thing that is on the front of the compressor. Look under the hood while the engine is running, then have someone turn on the A/C. The thing that starts turning is the clutch.

Is the clutch engaging when you turn on the A/C? Is it staying engaged or disengaging quickly?

Thanks for the reply

How can I tell? I'm sorry, I know carpentry and computers but not a whole lot about cars.

The clutch is the black thing that is on the front of the compressor. Look under the hood while the engine is running, then have someone turn on the A/C. The thing that starts turning is the clutch.

Ok, today while driving about 35mph I turned the AC on and it did not seem to bog the engine down at all, but I do hear something that sounds like bad bearings.

While parked and idling, I turned AC on, this time it did not bog engine down. The clutch is turning when AC is on, but also makes a sound (loose marbles) like bad bearings when turned on.

Where would you say the bearings are? Does that mean I have to replace whole compressor, or can that be repaired?

I would replace the compressor before shavings get in your system. I would also replace the drier in case there is debris. and then pull a vacuum before replacing the freon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-C-Compres...tem160224608275

Ok, thanks!

I am not real proficient in auto repair. Would this be basically unbolt old one and bolt on the new one? It looks real tight down there.

• 1 month later...