Oldsmobile Is Back!

Lexusfreak

Even if this is true, I have a feeling Toyota will realize the consequences of American backlash, for mocking GM. This could actually play favoribly for GM, if they play their cards right. I know, as just one American, that I would be very upset with Toyota if this is true, and they're really going to make Oldsmobile named vehicles now. This is a cheap shot against GM, and if they're smart, will use it against Toyota in a very sucessful way. American's don't like to be slapped around, and this is just a cheap shot slap shot. For example, Bush once had a 93% approval rating following 9/11. If he can gather that kind of support, GM could do the same, just in a different way. In all honesty, if I could afford it, my twitchy driving 4runner would be traded for a new Tahoe in a millisecond, and someday just might.

I love the new Tahoe look. Very nice. Unfortunately it comes with that Tahoe gas mileage. I read a report in some magazine about them getting a city/hwy combined fuel mileage of 9 miles per gallon. They actually calculated like 8.62 mpg's, so they atleast rounded up to help it look better. Although, I can't remember if the article was on the Suburban or the the Tahoe as I recollect. I'm not really sure what the fuel mileage difference is between the two either, or what engine option was used to get that. I just remember Exxon calling me that afternoon to collect $38.50 for thinking about the drive in one.

I can't imagine that Toyota would actually roll an Oldsmobile off the line. I would think it's more of a padlock on the Oldsmobile name more than anything. I think the interview they did was just a thoughtful fishing line to see if the fish were biting. I would spend 5 grand to sell the name back to them for say 250 million dollars or so, heck, maybe even more. If they really want it. If not, well, hey, any German's want in the US market???, I hear the Koreans are looking, or maybe Ford would like a nice trophy? Although, Ford is up to it's pits in reorganizing also.

LOL Nicely done! :lol: Just when I thought the new Sequoia was ugly enough, they add an Olds Silhouette grill, and it gets even worse! haha

LOL!! Maybe the Prius could benefit from " wider is better", and the Firebird could be brought back to run for more than 3 years without the body panels falling off!! Heck, maybe Toyota could compete in the retro market against the Camaro and Challenger by bringing back the Judge!!!!!!! Damn, this really could be good!!!

Damnit....that's TWICE I've been had! :chairshot:

1st one was an email requesting my presence in our home office "in cali" for three weeks in June...a few days after the delivery due date of our first child.

In the words of Eric Cartmen....Screw you guys, I'm going home! :pirate: :D

So did the story come out on the 1st (April fools) or today the 2nd.

You sure it's a gag?? I heard it on the radio this after noon as well. April 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid in the mid-60s we had an ultra-cool Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon, either the 1965 or 1966 model year. What a family hauler that beast was - plenty of room, plenty of power, gas was cheap, and so much glass in the roof panels that you felt like you were cruising in a fighter jet canopy! And that was well before sunroofs or moonroofs made their debut. Our Vista Cruiser was a medium metallic blue and did not have the fake wood paneling as shown in the last couple of photos above. It looked so much better without the fake wood panels....

That vehicle was perfect for the family trips we took to the beach, mountains, or wherever we were headed for vacation. I always claimed the entire third row seat at the very back because you could set it up to face the rear, making it harder for my parents way up front to see what I was up to. I remember times when I would wait for my mother to fall asleep in the front passenger seat and knowing that my father would be preoccupied with driving, I would crank down the tailgate window and actually fly small kites out of the back of the station wagon while we were rolling down the interstate at 65 mph! At the beach I had learned to use my dad's newfangled monofilament fishing line instead of regular kite string due to the strength required to keep the kites tethered and in control during strong winds. Imagine having a kite 200 feet in the air out of the back of a station wagon while your parents had no clue until a Highway Patrolman on a motorcycle pulled my dad over! By the time he stopped us I had the kite reeled in but I was still in big trouble. I remember the cop telling my dad that in more than 20 years of patrolling the highways in South Carolina he had never seen anything like that before....

Luckily I knew the long stretches of highway where there were no bridges or overpasses or power lines so that never came into play, but I still got my butt whipped and my kites confiscated on that trip.... My daughter always enjoyed hearing that story when she was a kid but I told her that if she ever tried it, she wouldn't be able to sit down for at least a week....

Great story! I can picture that as I read it, you and the cop facing each other while you were reeling in the kite must have felt very akward and the fear of your parents finding out! But still, the vision of a Vista Cruiser rolling down the highway with a kite out the back is hilarious!!! :lol::lol:

Yep, it brings back some great memories of some of the crazy things I did as a kid....

I flew my kites out of the back of the Vista Cruiser on several different highway trips that summer but only got caught that one time. I remember my dad telling me that it was actually a pretty innovative thing to do, taking advantage of the windspeed like that, before he yanked off his belt and whipped my butt....

Yep, it brings back some great memories of some of the crazy things I did as a kid....

I flew my kites out of the back of the Vista Cruiser on several different highway trips that summer but only got caught that one time. I remember my dad telling me that it was actually a pretty innovative thing to do, taking advantage of the windspeed like that, before he yanked off his belt and whipped my butt....

:lol::lol:

We had a Plymouth Grand Fury III, that olive puke green, and the vinyl interior to match. That thing was huge! I used to just stick my hand out the window and act like it was a wing flap on a fighter jet. I remember being like 6 years old and not being able to keep my arm down when I tilted my hand up. And would perform assault manouvers. LOL!! I used to also play this game where I would pretend I was on a motorcycle and I was riding on the side of the highway we were on, and whatever the terrain would dictate, is what I would imagine my motorcycle would do, like if there was a ditch and then a driveway, well that was a huge jump, or if there was alot of water, then I would go hydroplaning across it. I died smacking directly into walls and fences often. LOL!!!! :lol:

Great wagon story. Wagons bring back alot of memories for many folks back in their childhood days.

Was the wagon anything like this?

1965OldsmobileVistaCruiser.jpg

This is a 65' Vista Cruiser wagon w/o the woodgrain option. Maybe thats you in the back seat? :)

When I was a kid in the mid-60s we had an ultra-cool Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon, either the 1965 or 1966 model year. What a family hauler that beast was - plenty of room, plenty of power, gas was cheap, and so much glass in the roof panels that you felt like you were cruising in a fighter jet canopy! And that was well before sunroofs or moonroofs made their debut. Our Vista Cruiser was a medium metallic blue and did not have the fake wood paneling as shown in the last couple of photos above. It looked so much better without the fake wood panels....

Another great story...

Was the car similar to this? This is a 72' Plymouth Gran Fury Sport Suburban wagon (this was the "top of the line" Plymouth wagon in 1972).

72furywagon.jpg

We had a Plymouth Grand Fury III, that olive puke green, and the vinyl interior to match. That thing was huge! I used to just stick my hand out the window and act like it was a wing flap on a fighter jet. I remember being like 6 years old and not being able to keep my arm down when I tilted my hand up. And would perform assault maneuvers. LOL!! I used to also play this game where I would pretend I was on a motorcycle and I was riding on the side of the highway we were on, and whatever the terrain would dictate, is what I would imagine my motorcycle would do, like if there was a ditch and then a driveway, well that was a huge jump, or if there was alot of water, then I would go hydroplaning across it. I died smacking directly into walls and fences often. LOL!!!! :lol: