Ls 400 High Miles?

Dezzy

I have a 1996 LS 400 and I recently turned over 500,000 miles. Is this out of the ordinary? It certainly was a special moment for me when it happened. The car still rides incredible and has not had any serious mechanical issues ever. The body is in prime condition still and I live in Northern Michigan, of course the car usually overwinters in my garage, but she has seen snow. I actually drove her all winter long this year and to my surprise the car is incredible on the slick Michigan roads. Thanks for sharing any info on other high mileage 400's you might have!

500K? WOW! I thought that 210K on my 1991 LS was high miles. :P I hope mine hits 500K!

My old 1990 LS400 had 252K when I sold it and it was still running like brand new. My 210K LS still runs like new too, but its due for engine mounts.

The highest mileage cars I have ever owned were:

1995 GMC Suburban - 293K (still ran excellent, original engine, tranny rebuilt once, had developed engine oil leak)

1985 Mercedes 380SE - 274K (original engine was getting weak (low power), original transmission still shifted like new)

1998 Ford Taurus - 249K (original engine/tranny - still ran like new, but tranny was getting weak) yeah, this one surprised me too!)

1988 Nissan 4wd V6 truck - 265K (still own, its actually my dads work truck- needs nothing but a new body for the chassis!)

Wait until your LS hits 1,000,000 !!

252k on my 93 here. Poor thing still soldiers on. Idles low, and i prolly need new engine mounts along with a major tune up(still original wires). Otherwise still runs 90%. Seems to be smooth, until you compare it to my mom's 94 with 150k. She has new mounts, and a full tune up. That engine is super smooth!

Don't get mad at me guys, but i don't think i'm really gonna invest alot of money in my ol LS. Just isnt worth it. I mean, i got her for only 2 grand almost 2 years ago.

I'm just gonna keep driving it until i get something nicer and newer. Then it'll retire to a spare car. I'll never sell her. She was my first lexus. Also, as of recently i've been kinda low on the dough. 75 dollar fillups hurt.

Search mileage threads here in the forum & you will find alot of info on everyone's mileage....
Exactly!! Here's the most recent one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=18493
Don't get mad at me guys, but i don't think i'm really gonna invest alot of money in my ol LS. Just isnt worth it. I mean, i got her for only 2 grand almost 2 years ago.
I think we all get to this point as time progresses and the odometer numbers rise. You have to get more picky about what repairs you do to an old car that you might not keep too much longer and won't be worth diddly when you trade it in.

500K...that's quite impressive!!! :cheers:

Search mileage threads here in the forum & you will find alot of info on everyone's mileage....
Exactly!! Here's the most recent one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=18493
I think we all get to this point as time progresses and the odometer numbers rise. You have to get more picky about what repairs you do to an old car that you might not keep too much longer and won't be worth diddly when you trade it in.

500K...that's quite impressive!!! :cheers:

188,925 on my 94 ls400 - just beginning to replace some mechanics, ECU and Air Control Valve, but never fails to start - had her since new in 94. I do have the blacked out dashboard everyone talks about, all I can see are the lit needles. Everyone asks how do I know how fast I'm going - I just tell 'em that "80mph is straight up"!!! haaaah! Love my ls!

You hear lots of testimonials on Ls400's and how far they go. I have had my 96 for many years, just gave it to my oldest son with 109K and in all those years not one wrench has hit it except belt replacement and oil changes. Replacing it with a 99 I found with 60K. Both run, as my Dad used to say, "like a sewing machine". My Mom always comments how the 96 Lex rides so much better and quieter than her 2008 Buick, which of course my father does not like to hear even though it is very true.

You hear lots of testimonials on Ls400's and how far they go. I have had my 96 for many years, just gave it to my oldest son with 109K and in all those years not one wrench has hit it except belt replacement and oil changes. Replacing it with a 99 I found with 60K. Both run, as my Dad used to say, "like a sewing machine". My Mom always comments how the 96 Lex rides so much better and quieter than her 2008 Buick, which of course my father does not like to hear even though it is very true.

You say you had your 1996 for years but it doesn't look like you put a lot of miles on it for it to only be at 109K. Your son will probably get another 150K out of that car easily.

500k miles is definitely impressive. I figure that I'll get at least 300K out of my LS before I even think about getting another car

B) Wow - 500K miles - very impressive - mine is rookie - 92LS400 with 169K miles - However, i have changed some major like "Starter, Alternator, Timing Belt, Water Pump, A/C evaporator". She is healthy and strong.

:lol::lol::lol: Dezzy, go for another 500K miles then sale back to Lexus - they are definitely buying back from you for their advertisement. How about one dollar for every mile you have on the car:lol: :lol::lol: :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the Lexus. Bought a 92 LS400 about a month ago so I can't take much credit for the 210,800 on it. Just out of curiosity, took a hint from BBCs Top Gear and put a glass of water on the engine block. Revved it up and the water barely moved in the glass. Have a few minor electrical glitches but very minor. Looking for a second 1st gen Lexus for my daughter.

My father bought his 1990 ls400 brand new when it came out. Its been in the family still and now I drive it to school to save mileage on my other car. The ls400 has about 240,XXX. Amazingly, since I have been driving it, the only thing i ever did was the basic maintenance. I have not yet experience any serious mechanical problems yet.

But 500,000, I think you should win an award.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1996 LS 400 and I recently turned over 500,000 miles. Is this out of the ordinary? It certainly was a special moment for me when it happened. The car still rides incredible and has not had any serious mechanical issues ever. The body is in prime condition still and I live in Northern Michigan, of course the car usually overwinters in my garage, but she has seen snow. I actually drove her all winter long this year and to my surprise the car is incredible on the slick Michigan roads. Thanks for sharing any info on other high mileage 400's you might have!

I have a 96 LS 400 also. Bought it 3 years ago with 136K on it and have run it up to 270 clicks. Motor and transmission are tight as ever but I did just drop $1700 into the front end.....upper control arms, ball joints, etc. Now I am at the crossroads of letting this thing go or keeping it as a back up. Best car I have ever owned. Joy to drive, handles snow well (with aid of Blizzaks), and dangerously fast.....capable of 150. Have pondered letting my 24 year old drive it until she figures out her car situation......could sell it to her (meaning GIVE) or use it to keep some of the miles OFF of the Cadillac I am picking up next week. I am not surprised to hear about one turning 500 spins. Very impressive car.

I have a 96 LS 400 also. Bought it 3 years ago with 136K on it and have run it up to 270 clicks.

You do realize that 'clicks' is a slang term for 'klicks' which means Kilometers? So 270 'clicks' would be 167k miles. Is that what you intended?

Welcome to the club!!! :cheers:

I just bought a Black 99 LS with 228k on it, now has 230, and will get new VC gaskets, engine mounts and a tranny cushion this week.... other than that it is a solid LS. original owner was a doctor who ran between Dallas and San Antonio for 168k, 2nd was 60k and then me, 2nd put 430 wheels on it, and that was what attracted me to it. The CEL and brake warning light was on, and it ran too cool. I replaced a faulty Tstat and ECT switch to turn the CEL out. and repaired RR warning pad to turn the light out (it wasn;t pluged in). I also have a white 99 with 167k and it runs like new also. here is the black one:

post-5365-0-13591400-1364825226_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

I Got my 90 ls in March of 2008 and the odometer was broken at 358,143 miles. Been driving my car daily since i've had it so no telling how many miles are on it now.

I keep threatening to sell my 90 LS 400 and then the usual thing happens, I drive it. Mine only has 193000 synthetic miles on the car. I just put new tires on and it rides so nice. I drive rental cars fairly often and my wife has the ES330 which doesn't compare. Nothing I have driven compares to the fantastic ride the LS gives. Then the engine. Oh that sweet four cam V-8 that just sings. Other than than the broken air conditioning, this is perfect. I have 3 other cars for myself so I usually don't drive the Lexus in the summer.

Since I plan to retire in June, I'm thinking of going through the suspension and brakes and all the stuff I can do then maybe get the AC fixed. I have no doubt this car will last forever.

248,500miles on my 99 gs300. Running strong with synthetic motor oil. Belt, timing belt, alternator, header, plugs, and wires are the only things done so far. Other than that just oil changes. Rides super smooth. The blend servo has started fluttering but I just turn up the radio for now lol. Will fix it when its a constant bother.

• 8 months later...

My 94 Lexus LS400 has now 67K .I brought car in 2008 with 50K on clock.I have all service papers and mileage is correct.

Regards Jim Taylor.Australia.

you drive even less than I do.... in Dec 2012 (above) with 230, now it has 238.... I have never owned one with under 100k... could have, but seeing how good they are, it was not necessary..