Normal Vs Power Mode?

Hello guys!

Thanks for all the useful help so far. My next question is this :

How much better is fuel economy in normal mode Vs Power mode? Further, what are your opinions about performance in the different modes? Is it healthy for the car to always drive in power? Which situations warrant power mode and which do not? Is it hard on the transmission to drive on power mode most of the time?

thanks so much!

- Miles

Personally, I can't tell too much difference. I don't think there's any harm in drivin it in ECT all the time; I used to do it. Just depends on if you like the car to hold the gears for sportier driving and more throttle response or to shift to higher ones for quiter ride and more fuel economy. B)

There is a bit of a fuel difference but the biggest ting is if you floor the car it downshifts and holds the gears anyway so it is useless really .Also the trannies are not the best so having it change gears in a higher rpm is more likely to wear it faster.

i've read an article a while back ago.

it stated that if your RPM is above 3500 on DOHC engines, you are wasting 50% extra gasoline.

higher octane fuel = better gas mileage

I don't see much harm in driving around with power mode on. However, you will probably have to do tranny flush more often than normal mode driving. In fact, change engine oil often if your driving harsh.

My last car had 260 000 miles (300zx twinturbo). did oil change every 1500 miles with regular (non-synthetic oil). I am doing oil change on my es300 every 3000 miles instead of 5000 with regular engine oil.

the lesson is..as long as you maintain your vehicle and take good care of it..you can ride it harsh. Afterall, if your transmission dies, you can buy another used one for around 4-600 bucks. (after while, you will have to replace the rear main seal anyways..same labor rate)

4-600 BUCKS? ARE YOU INSANE? You must have some connections or somethin, b/c everywhere I've looked said somewhere in the range of 1,200-almost 3k $$! I seriously doubt you could find one that cheap...but hey, I don't know everything I don't suppose. :whistles:

there are some realy nice j-spec transmissions out there. plus knowing a few shop people does help.

check out..

www.car-parts.com

it's database inventory of many junkyards in US.

i found some really good deals/prices on it before.

got my bro's alternator on 95 maxima for 35 bucks + 15 shipping

and my 300zx twinturbo tranny for 300 bucks