Is250 Power Curves? (hp & Torque)

Are you running an automatic? Looks like it from the dyno. They never hit wot until around 4000 rpm, so anything under that is useless info. But I can't beleive how lean your afr's are!! Looks like the most hp is made around 13-13.5. That might be why your not making quite as much hp as you should be. Your on a Dynopack which usually reads a little lower anyway, but still, I think I have seen some dynopack sheets on the 250 show closer to 165-170 whp. Your torque numbers are not that far off though.

Yes, it's an auto. I made sure the dyno operator was 'mechanically' WOT at 3k. However the Electric Thottle body, ASIC etc... have an effect on the power as well as the A/F. The pulls were done in 4th w/snow mode. All the data shown is useful AFAIK as we excluded the low RPM's where he was rolling into the throttle. Trust me, I was sitting next to him in the car recording data during the runs. I might be possible to get a smoother curve by rolling into the throttle but I would guess that it would be hard to repeat from a testing standpoint.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, well, considering all wheel drive, you have 160 (ish) hp, not bad. Maybe the dyno chart I saw before was a rear wheel drive 250. I can't remeber at this point, or if that point even came up.

So, when are you looking to slip the headers and exhaust on and then doing the comparison dyno?

Hmm, well, considering all wheel drive, you have 160 (ish) hp, not bad. Maybe the dyno chart I saw before was a rear wheel drive 250. I can't remeber at this point, or if that point even came up.

So, when are you looking to slip the headers and exhaust on and then doing the comparison dyno?

I should get the headers back from coating in a couple of weeks. So I will probably have an 'after' dyno in about a months time.

Coating? are you having them ceramic coated or chromed?

I sent them to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating. They are doing what they call the 'extreme sterling' coating which will hold its shine up to 1700°F They might still get discolored with these DI engines running so lean but the true benifits are the thermal barier they form to keep heat out of the engine bay.

Besides - it is hard to see the headers anyway so it is not for looks.

Which was what I was going to point out if you were just wasting your money on having them chromed. BUt the ceramic coating is a good choice.

Which was what I was going to point out if you were just wasting your money on having them chromed. BUt the ceramic coating is a good choice.

Yup, it's the best thing going for headers. The primaries on the AWD headers are much shorter then the orignal design that Mazzuri made for the RWD cars. I am suppose to loose some of the benefits but am hoping that the coating will give me back a pony or two? But again, I am just being conservative and doing to aviod any possible heat related issue later on down the road.

Yeah, I'm talking with Daniel about the 350 headers. There have been some issues with it. He seemed to think that the specs for the 250 headers would work on the 350. Well, he finally did a dyno on the 350 and saw that there wasn't anywhere near the gain he had with the 250. So he's going to take another look at the primaries and lengthen the headers even more the the 350, which was what he and I talked about a few months ago. Once he works it out and gets the 350 figured out, I may get a set from him then. Right now it's looking like we'll have to relocate the 02 sensor and move the y pipe and maybe come up with a new flange. I don't see any other way at this point. Although I wouldn't mind going with a true dual exhaust system and just set up the cross pipe after the header. But we'll see what he comes up with. Daniel is a great guy, and knows what he's doing.

I have been keeping up with the 350 header issue on the other forums as well. It is hard to believe that there was so little gain from the original headers. I would have thought that just removing the primary CATs would make a hugh difference in of itself. Maybe I could replace the secondary CATs with the primaries from the OEM manifolds if the flow much better. May be more work then it is worth?

Good luck to you and all the other 350 guys. Once Daniel gets if figured out I am sure it will add much power.