Abs And Vsc Warning Light Plus Soft Brake Pedal

bob2001ls430

Hi,

I have a 2001 LS430, which I have owned for 5 years. On occasion the ABS and VSC warning light goes on. At that time the ABS and VSC stop functioning. When I turn the warning light off by following the dealers repair manual brake pedal sequencing the ABS and VSC start functioning again. This problem is intermittent, but is occurring more frequently in warmer weather. My brake pedal is a little soft. I have bled the system a few times. I have used the brake pedal method and also used the vacuum method to suck the fluid out at the calipers and ABS actuators on the driver’s side of the firewall. I am using dot 5.1 synthetic brake fluid, which is compatible with dot 3 and dot 4. It is not dot 5 which is silicon based and not compatible, so that should not be the problem, but it might be, but I doubt it. The car has 90k and the brakes were done over by me at 75k with stainless steel hoses and drilled and slotted rotors plus new pads. Worked great for 10k. Pedal was higher and stopped quicker. Pads are still good. So my questions are:

1. Does this ABS system require the car to be running when the brakes are bleed.

2. Does the ABS actuator by the fire wall get bleed 1st or last..

3. Are there any additional ABS actuators hid under the car to bleed.

4. Does this car require a pressurized bleeding as described by the repair manual, I am starting to think that it may. Maybe a part in the ABS actuator is stuck and a pressurized bleed would free it.

I am 58 years old and am a motorcycle and car hobbyist. I built my 1st hot rod when I was in high school and worked in gas stations when I was a kid. I don’t feel like getting screwed by the dealer. I would appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Bob

I have a 1998 LS and the problem with my VSC light going off is the throttle body. Lexus said my throttle body needs to be replaced but it is a very expensive part, so I just leave my Air Conditioner running all summer and winter and adjust the climate control to what temperature I want. I know it burns more gas, but the part runs close to a thousand dollars by itself. I tried having them clean the throttle body with their cleaner solution but it didn't help. You can try turning on your A/C if you'd like to see if that stops it from occuring so much. Hope that helps a little.