Rattling Upon Acceleration

bear

Posted this in the UK site....now here:

Vehicle has a rattling noise upon acceleration (sounds like a loose heat shield)...could this be it? any other causes? Rattle is a deep rattle and happens for about 2 seconds while accelerating normally from dead stop or under load. Thanks in advance

I am experiencing the exact same situation in my 1990 ls400. Can anybody tell me where the heat shield is located and secondly if it is a job that can be undertaken by a Newbie Do It Your Selfer such as myself....

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Do you JUST hear it upon acceleration, never under any other circumstances? Its possible that its a slight engine ping, sometimes this can be mistaken for something like a rattling heat shield. Try changing gas brands...

I hear it especially for example, I am in the military and when I stop at the gate to check in my car is enclosed on both sides by walls and when initially take off under and minor to moderate acceleration I hear this rattling coming from underneath the car. I cannot hear it during Idling and I can only hear it at slow speeds... What so you think?