2001 Ls430 173k Miles - Fair Body- $12k Worth It?

mttls400

Hi,

Would like some help to purchase the used car - someone has offerred me a 2001 lexus ls430 with fair body clean tittle and 173,000 miles. its first timing belt has been done at 90k miles. Everything seems to work inorder - The car might need another timimg belt plus minor jobs and 4 new tires. Is it worth to consider. Has this model have any common problem that i need to know before buying. Thank you all.

Michael

There are no known major issues on the 430....Mileage seems high so I guess they are Highway miles. The price seems good. I would have a Lexus Dealer go over it so you would have a clearer picture as to previous service history and overall condition plus cost involved in required maintenance which would include timing belt, water pump etc.

If the car has been maintained well with records to prove, and you don't have an aversion to high-mileage vehicles, go for it.

I have seen several LSs owned by family/friends of mine go for many more miles than that, so do not let the high miles scare you. The best ones are a 1994 with over 300k, still a (good looking) daily driver, and the other one a 1993 that had close to 400k when it was finally rear-ended and totaled. With proper care and maintenance these cars will last a very long time.

If the car has been maintained well with records to prove, and you don't have an aversion to high-mileage vehicles, go for it.

I have seen several LSs owned by family/friends of mine go for many more miles than that, so do not let the high miles scare you. The best ones are a 1994 with over 300k, still a (good looking) daily driver, and the other one a 1993 that had close to 400k when it was finally rear-ended and totaled. With proper care and maintenance these cars will last a very long time.

I have a 96 LS 400 with over 500K currently and everything works fine and she still purrs like a kitten.

i'd get a cleaner lower mileage LS430 for 16k. 4k is alot, but your gonna spend quite a bit on the timing belt and water pump, new tires and other random little things. Or i'd get an immaculate 98-00 ls400 for the 12k

Don't let high miles scare you though. :) if it checks out 12k seems pretty good. Define fair body for us :)

You say "fair body". Does it have any body damage at all?

Thank you everyone - i have chickened out on the 2001 ls430 deal; however, i have found 2004 ls430 84K miles with $23K wholesale offer. Hope this will last for another 15 yrs. My 92 ls400 is still going strong after 165K miles. Again - thank you for all your help :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: B) :lol:

• 3 weeks later...