Broken Belt/which One

oohryry

My belt broke but I am unsure if it is the serpentine belt. I lost power steering and the battery light came on so I assume they are all connected somehow to this one belt. I can see the belt is missing when I look under the hood. I put some belt dressing on it this winter because it started to squeel a little on really cold days. Please tell me which belt this is and if I can replace it myself. I didn't think it would be the serpentine belt at first because I haven't gone 90000 miles yet since Len Stoler Lexus replaced it last with my timing belt. Thanks everyone.

ls400 has only one belt on the outside of the engine. you can either buy it online or go to your local dealer to pick one up. it should be around 50$. i would not recoomend getting an aftermarket one.

hold on here, if the belt broke it broke for a reason, serp belts dont just break, check all ur pulleys to ensure they are smooth when u rotate them, if u dont know what to check for have a mechanic do it, otherwise your new belt will break as well, now as far as getting an aftermarket belt, i would get a gatorback made by goodyear, they are the best belts out there

Thanks everyone, I'm on my way to the store now to look for a belt. Sounds very easy to replace. I also need to change my ball joints (upper control arm) but I will post that as another topic. Thanks again.

Ok, I think the part is called the tensioner. I'm trying to find out now from the dealer. Ok I just found out on the phone while I'm typing. It's 95 dollars for the tensioner. It's the part with no grooves, smooth on the outside. I tried turning it and it would get stuck. So I took it off and the the balls fell out like on a bad pair of skate wheel bearings. I'm not sure if anyone else but the dealer has it but I'm going to look around and see.

Ok, how tight is this tensioner bolt suppose to be screwed in. I tightened it all the way in and it wouldn't turn at all. The washer that is on the outside is keeping it from turning. If I loosen it a little it turns but has a little play in it. I'm almost certain I shouldn't leave it with play in it. Is it possible that the wrong washer is on here or that its not suppose to have this big washer on it at all. The washer is the piece in the middle with the bolt. The new tensioner is on the left side of the picture and the old one is on the right side.

post-16271-1206995199_thumb.jpg

I seen the replacement pics on Lexls and the washer is suppose to be there. I need to know how tight is this bolt suppose to be, because when I tighten it all the way the tensioner will not turn at all. Thanks.

I seen the replacement pics on Lexls and the washer is suppose to be there. I need to know how tight is this bolt suppose to be, because when I tighten it all the way the tensioner will not turn at all. Thanks.

It appears that the spacer will not fit on the aftermarket tensioner. It's not spacing from the tensioner therefore it rubs against it causing it to not move. I am just going to put the bolt on there without the spacer and see if I can find the correct spacer tomorrow hopefully, because I know the spacer is on there to keep the tensioner from falling off if the bearings break like my old one did.

I'm not having any luck with this. The bolt is too long to put on by itself without the spacer attached. Maybe I can find a some kind of washer at Lowes to use as a spacer. This is ridiculous. I guess I'll have to fork out the 95 dollars to Lexus for their replacement part. Oh well.

Looks to me that the new tensioner is not compatible so you'll need a Lexus one. I always use OEM if I can afford it.

I am having the same problem right now, and I am about to replace the entire tensioner from Imported Replacement Parts which only cost me $129.99.

Bite the bullet & buy the tensioner pulley from Lexus, then you can use your old cover plate & bolt........the bolt is left handed thread....in other words counter clockwise to tighten....

Torque bolt to 27 ft-lbf per service manual......

You will be happier with OEM part here....

You are saving on labor by Doing It Yourself....

Bite the bullet & buy the tensioner pulley from Lexus, then you can use your old cover plate & bolt........the bolt is left handed thread....in other words counter clockwise to tighten....

Torque bolt to 27 ft-lbf per service manual......

You will be happier with OEM part here....

You are saving on labor by Doing It Yourself....

Yes, I admit the job seems like it would be easier than I expected if I didn't run into these loopholes. I couldn't return the part today because AutoZone had a gas leak when I went back and the fire department had to shut them down for the day. Len Stoler said they should have one in tomorrow but no dealer close to me has any in stock. I'm hoping they will have one. It's just so funny to me how they make replacement aftermarket parts that don't fit your vehicle. I couldn't put it on without the spacer either because it left tooooooo much play in the aftermarket part. I'll try again in the morning if Lexus has the part. Thanks.

The dealer probably sells the whole tensioner only.....by that I mean the whole tensioner with the pulley attached to it.....you replace the entire assembly....thats where they get you.....

If the pulley is just bad...you can have the bearing pressed out at a auto machine shop.....look at the bearing number on the backside of pulley & purchase a new bearing from a bearing store in your area.... & have it pressed back in.....then the pulley is as good as new.....

Hopefully you can take back the replacement pulley you already purchased......

Good Luck.....

The dealer probably sells the whole tensioner only.....by that I mean the whole tensioner with the pulley attached to it.....you replace the entire assembly....thats where they get you.....
I bought just the pulley from a Lexus dealer, and it was only $45! Here's the part number: 16603-0w010 (from what I'm seeing it works for 95-00).

ok so u have a bad tensioner, i knew something else was the culprit, i am going to have to agree with the guys this time and get the part from the dealer, the belt u can go aftermarket, i would suggest having someone else who is a mechanic do the work, its not that hard but u dont want anything happening like the tensioner flying off and the belt ripping apart ur radiator and or fan......o btw get the whole assembly not just the pulley, no sense replacing the pulley and have the tensioner itself go out down the road

Thanks to everyone. Done Deal for the serpentine belt and tensioner. FiveofaKind, the dealer wanted 95 for just the pulley, the entire unit was like 300. Thanks for the suggestion about the bearing. The bearing was totally destroyed so I couldn't get a bearing number. I purchased a used 1996 upper control arm (passenger side) 150.00 from Brandywine Auto Parts and I took my wrench with me to take the used pulley off the engine they had and used steel wool to get the rust from around it off. Now comes the task of the upper control arm. I looked at it and it looks like it would be easy for me since I'm good with my hands. However, I'm not sure what tool I'm suppose to use to tighten it and how much to tighten the upper control arm. That's if I have the tool in my father in law garage. It's hundreds of tools everywhere. But I'll chech the other post I have on that now. Thanks again everyone. Peace.