Where Can I Get Satellite Radio Cheaper!?

the dealer is charging almost 500 dollars to install satellite radio in my is 250

and i dont want to pay that much...is it cheaper anywhere else?

should i get one of those after market radios and stick it to my windshield?

I'd be a bit careful with this one...

I had the dealer install my XM radio and after I made my Lemon Law claim, the MANUFACTURER (Lexus of America) said they thought my problems started after the dealer did a faulty installation of the satellite module.

I don't know if that is true or not (and probably never will), but it made me think that if the dealer couldn't get it right, what about other places? In any event, on my replacement IS350, it was factory installed and seeems to be fine.

I have an aftermarket, made a bracket so the display actually "mounts" in the ashtray holder. The antenna is mounted on the left corner of the dash, no exposed wiring and i love where it's at. It took all of thirty minutes and in my opinion looks good (and I'm picky).

dude can u put pics? that sounds tight as hell. i wanna do something like that so i can move the XM or Sirius (whichever one i buy) around to my other car

I have an aftermarket, made a bracket so the display actually "mounts" in the ashtray holder. The antenna is mounted on the left corner of the dash, no exposed wiring and i love where it's at. It took all of thirty minutes and in my opinion looks good (and I'm picky).

dude can u put pics? that sounds tight as hell. i wanna do something like that so i can move the XM or Sirius (whichever one i buy) around to my other car

I bought my XM kit for $254 from Lexus-parts.com. Did the install myself, takes about 90 minutes to complete.

I got the Sirius option installed on my IS250 and yes it was about $500. The reason I did that was because I had an aftermarket Sirius unit in my previous vehicle ( a Sportster Replay model mounted in my Pathfinder) and was less than pleased with the sound quality. The factory installed version sounds great and I like that the information is displayed on the Navigation unit screen. If you install an aftermarket unit make sure that it is hardwired into the Lexus factory radio and not using the FM modulator. Since the satellite signal is compressed so much it degrades the sound quality tremendously when played thru the FM band.

You can get a small unit that will clip in the air vent on the dash and plug into the lighter. The antenna is a small magnet that will stick on the roof and it's easy to run the wire around the sun visor and to the unit. Go to Circuit City's web site and get the Roady for $19.95. I've had one for three years and move from auto to auto...it takes about one minute to switch from car to car. I have mine in my Lexus SC430 now and it's a killer sound on the Mark Levinson speakers.--Roger Silvey

What year is your Is?

Do you have Nav?

Are you handy?

Do you like XM or Siruis?

I installed my XM on my 07 in about 2 hours with instructions from either this forum or another. It was easy. I had the fin so it was seamless. I think most could probably do it.

the dealer is charging almost 500 dollars to install satellite radio in my is 250

and i dont want to pay that much...is it cheaper anywhere else?

should i get one of those after market radios and stick it to my windshield?

I just bought an aftermarket and I bought the cupholder mount but it's too far back I would like to have it where the ashtray is could you email me some pictures of yours please? spangaldi88@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Has anyone added the factory XM and installed the shark fin? I assume it requires a small drill hole...do you have to take down the headliner?

I added the factory XM to my car. Pretty easy to do. I ordered it from Sewell Lexus from their eBay site. It was 20 bucks cheaper than buying it from their online site. A lot cheaper than having the dealer do it. I put the XM antenna on the rear deck up next to the glass. This was the most work. To route the antenna cable correctly I decided to pull out the back seat. I pulled both the back and bottom. It just made it easier to run the cable through the access home already there. The unit works fine with no problem. I am very pleased with its operation. I have had XM for about 4 years now in another vehicle. I love my XM.

Norman

p.s. My only issue was with the windows after disconneting the battery. Once I learned I needed to re-program the windows all was right in the world again.

Has anyone added the factory XM and installed the shark fin? I assume it requires a small drill hole...do you have to take down the headliner?

I added the factory XM to my car. Pretty easy to do. I ordered it from Sewell Lexus from their eBay site. It was 20 bucks cheaper than buying it from their online site. A lot cheaper than having the dealer do it. I put the XM antenna on the rear deck up next to the glass. This was the most work. To route the antenna cable correctly I decided to pull out the back seat. I pulled both the back and bottom. It just made it easier to run the cable through the access home already there. The unit works fine with no problem. I am very pleased with its operation. I have had XM for about 4 years now in another vehicle. I love my XM.

Norman

p.s. My only issue was with the windows after disconneting the battery. Once I learned I needed to re-program the windows all was right in the world again.

Thanks! So following the instructions that you can get from Sewell was spot on huh? And no problems w/either reception throuhg the window or the antenna moving around? Also, please send me the window reprogram info. I will order and do this myself. Thanks for the information and experience.

Oh...and also I assume the controls are via the factory head unit and all works as if from factory?

BillT.

How to reset your windows is in the owners manual

Adding the Lexus XM unit should make it work exactly like if Lexus had added it. (though as noted if it's an 06 the antenna requires placing somewhere since there's no shark fin to plug into)

All:

I took my car to Thompson Lexus in Doylestown PA today and they told that it would be $999 for XM in an '06 IS350. Something about needing to run wiring from unit in trunk all the way back to head unit and connect. I have'nt heard that before..what gives? Am I getting a bit line of BS??

All:

I took my car to Thompson Lexus in Doylestown PA today and they told that it would be $999 for XM in an '06 IS350. Something about needing to run wiring from unit in trunk all the way back to head unit and connect. I have'nt heard that before..what gives? Am I getting a bit line of BS??

Sounds outrageous to me. At the very least, you should call around to other dealers to keep Thompson honest (try Wilkie or Chester Springs).

Ridiculous price, but the wiring is partially correct. Lexus vehicles are not prewired for satellite radio. In most Lexus vehicles, wire has to be run to the front head unit, but not in the IS. All wiring work is done in the trunk area. Satellite install in the IS is one of the easier installs compared to the RX, where the vehicle has to partially gutted. If you got the install instructions, you could probably do it yourself. The kit does not come with instructions.

Ridiculous price, but the wiring is partially correct. Lexus vehicles are not prewired for satellite radio. In most Lexus vehicles, wire has to be run to the front head unit, but not in the IS. All wiring work is done in the trunk area. Satellite install in the IS is one of the easier installs compared to the RX, where the vehicle has to partially gutted. If you got the install instructions, you could probably do it yourself. The kit does not come with instructions.

Thanks...I grabbed the instructions off Sewell's site and mentions nothing about wiring to the head unit. I was just checking. Thanks...buying it for $280 and doing the install myself seems the way to go.

If anyone has any info to the contrary regarding "wiring up to the head unit" please let me know. I'll be doing this in May sometime.