Stereo Speaker Replacement

davisnetworks

One of my factory Pioneer speakers in the front passenger door blown up last week. So obviously, I went and researched the types of speakers that it took. I ran into a problem: there is a support bar running down the center of the speaker hole and only allows up to so much room (depth, where the speaker magnet is). Does anyone know where I can obtain replacement speakers to fit? I cant seem to find any anywhere. Thanks - David

One of my factory Pioneer speakers in the front passenger door blown up last week. So obviously, I went and researched the types of speakers that it took. I ran into a problem: there is a support bar running down the center of the speaker hole and only allows up to so much room (depth, where the speaker magnet is). Does anyone know where I can obtain replacement speakers to fit? I cant seem to find any anywhere. Thanks - David

I just replaced mine last weekend... my PS speaker was trashed as well. On a tip from some other cruiser owners, I went with 6 1/2" Pioneer TS-G1641R. They install easy, and sound real good. They are getting hard to find though. I found them at Target of all places for $50. Best buy and Circuit City "might" have them. There are a couple on ebay right now that can be had for around $40 which is cheaper than I got mine for.

Couple of notes on the install... the factory speakers are mounted directly to the door metal, behind the door panel. These Pioneers have to mount to the face of the door panel in order to set them out far enough to miss the window channel bar you mentioned. You will not be able to use the factory grills, so they'll need to come off the door panel. You'll need to get some longer screws than come with the speakers, so you can drill 4 new holes into the door metal behind the door panel. After that, just wire them up and screw them in. Had them both installed in under two hours.

One note on the message from the other guy above, I didn't need spacers with these, and I'm not sure if you bought speakers that were deep enough to require the spacers, if that would really work. There's not a lot of room to space them out, because of where they are located, they'll hit the side of the dash when you close the door. The ones I've described above don't need spacers.

If you want a picture of what they look like install, PM me your email address and I'll take a couple of shots.

Regards,

Rookie

Edit: I didn't see you were from Knoxville (what are the chances). Bestbuy doesn't have them, I got the last set at the Target at Turkey Creek. You might try the one at Downtown West. Circuit City had them on clearance for $37 but were all gone. He said I could buy the sample ones they had installed on the wall for $30. I told him I wasn't buying used speakers at only a $7 discount. I'd probably just go the Ebay route, if I had it to do over.

Thanks for the info. Do you think any of the Targets around here would have the ones you where talking about. I still have the factory stereo installed in mine. Should there be enough power to run the new ones with the factory amp.

I just replaced mine last weekend... my PS speaker was trashed as well. On a tip from some other cruiser owners, I went with 6 1/2" Pioneer TS-G1641R. They install easy, and sound real good. They are getting hard to find though. I found them at Target of all places for $50. Best buy and Circuit City "might" have them. There are a couple on ebay right now that can be had for around $40 which is cheaper than I got mine for.

Couple of notes on the install... the factory speakers are mounted directly to the door metal, behind the door panel. These Pioneers have to mount to the face of the door panel in order to set them out far enough to miss the window channel bar you mentioned. You will not be able to use the factory grills, so they'll need to come off the door panel. You'll need to get some longer screws than come with the speakers, so you can drill 4 new holes into the door metal behind the door panel. After that, just wire them up and screw them in. Had them both installed in under two hours.

One note on the message from the other guy above, I didn't need spacers with these, and I'm not sure if you bought speakers that were deep enough to require the spacers, if that would really work. There's not a lot of room to space them out, because of where they are located, they'll hit the side of the dash when you close the door. The ones I've described above don't need spacers.

If you want a picture of what they look like install, PM me your email address and I'll take a couple of shots.

Regards,

Rookie

Edit: I didn't see you were from Knoxville (what are the chances). Bestbuy doesn't have them, I got the last set at the Target at Turkey Creek. You might try the one at Downtown West. Circuit City had them on clearance for $37 but were all gone. He said I could buy the sample ones they had installed on the wall for $30. I told him I wasn't buying used speakers at only a $7 discount. I'd probably just go the Ebay route, if I had it to do over.

Thanks for the info. Do you think any of the Targets around here would have the ones you where talking about. I still have the factory stereo installed in mine. Should there be enough power to run the new ones with the factory amp.

It'll be hit or miss as to whether one of the other Targets has a set. Just have to check, maybe they can pull it up and transfer one for you.

The other folks I've talked to (a lot of them LC guys) that have installed these with the factory setup have been very happy. I've got an aftermarket stereo that pushes more juice than the factory, so I can't comment directly on how much the improvement will be with a stock setup. IIRC, the factory lexus speakers were a little nicer than the LC's, so you may not notice "as much" of an improvement over stock as an LC guy would, but you should notice some improvement. Of course if you've got holes in your current speakers... anythings going to be an improvement.