Car Stall After Fuelling

Hi everyone,

I have a strange situation with my car. I purchased it week ago, and everything fine. The car is 2003 GS300. Today I got it to gas station first time, the tank was almost empty the indicator of low fuel was on. I put 17 gall, so tank was full till the top. I close the cap till 3-4 clicks, started the engine and began moving, suddenly it started to lose RPM and stalled. I start it again and when I moved it was jumping because the RPM was jumping. When I got to my driveway I put it on a parking and started watching on a RPM gauge pressing and releasing gas pedal. So when it was idling after one minute it stalled again. I turned it off and open fuel tank cap and closed it back, started the engine and problem gone. I tested it, run couple of blocks around, everything looks fine. So now I am in big confuse what was wrong and will it happen again? Every help very appreciated.

Thanks.

This is one of my business partners who forwarded an email to me....

"I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline....Here in

California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a last mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and theatmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom."

that should do it

California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a last mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and theatmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom."

that should do it

Great write up. I have heard about only filling in the morning when temps are lowest, and not filling when the gasoline truck is pumping gas, but not of the others. These days I'm happy to make my gas dollar stretch as far as possible.

that should do it

Great write up. I have heard about only filling in the morning when temps are lowest, and not filling when the gasoline truck is pumping gas, but not of the others. These days I'm happy to make my gas dollar stretch as far as possible.

some of the above techniques and tactics about gasoline re-fueling does make sense...but how much of it is true and whether or not its worth your time is another story:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

• 3 months later...

Thanks for reply BUT it was all off topic! Do you have any thoughts about my car case? It is still abnormal, and finally today I've got the Check engine light on after fueling, and when it idling it is working not right. PLEASE help

off topic again i read a write up awhile ago where none of those matter........or significantly enough it will do ANYTHING for you

heres a few...........

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6..._fallacies.html

http://drivesmarterchallenge.org/money-sav...tips/myths.aspx

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/12/autos/ways...e_gas/index.htm

as far as the sediment being stirred up they said that modern gas stations have filters PLUS your cars fuel filter should filter out any material u contain!

brian

• 2 weeks later...

What grade of gasoline did you put in your GS300? Low grade or Premium? Stick with Premium. You may want to put an additive like Fuel Injection Cleaner and then later....Octane Booster.