Red Line Shifting

scottmcc

Hello all

I want to make sure that my LS is acting normal when shifting. When driving on the highway and passing someone when the passing gear kicks in seems the tach goes well into redline before shifting back. It never reaches the rev limiter but I would like it to shift back earlier.

When driving in manual shift mode and having fun, when I shift into third from second..(Don't do this out of first to second because you only have about 1.2 seconds before redline..) usually before it hits 5000, there seems to be a considerable delay and the vehicle does not shift until close to red line.... Yes I know its electronic and there should be some delay..but what is normal?

Please don't think that I race my car or abuse my car because I love it..I just want to make sure that it is shifting safely and not causing damage to my engine....

Sometimes when I try to pass someone slowly so it won't go into passing gear, it decides to downshift anyways and goes to redline.. When I get home I feel so guilty that I want to take it for an oil change...

Are these engines that bullet proof?

I would say 6200 - 6400 not having the tach in front of me right now and going from memory.. Redline is at 6 -- correct? Anyways it seems to be about 2 to 4 hash marks from the beginning of redline.

When does the rev limiter kick in?

I have 69000 miles and have had all regular scheduled maintenance done at the lexus shop.. Transmission fluid was NOT changed as it is only recommended to be changed (@60,000miles) if you TOWED things, which I have not..

I am planning on changing the tranny fluid with my Timing belt at 90,000....

Thanks.. The VERY BULLETPROOF makes me feel better..

I want to make sure that my LS is acting normal when shifting. When driving on the highway and passing someone when the passing gear kicks in seems the tach goes well into redline before shifting back. It never reaches the rev limiter but I would like it to shift back earlier.
I searched a couple LS430s on youtube, and it it looks like it is normal for them to go in to the redline during WOT acceleration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmdFHijNww

Are these engines that bullet proof?
I think they are still too new to rightly deserve that title although I've never heard of any problems with the 3uz-fe's. I'm not sure I'll call them bullet-proof until they are 15 years old, have 275k miles, and still goes like a bat out of hell--that's bullet-proof to me. B)