Interior Lighting

tem

Compared to other cars, my 1997 LX450 is like getting into a Candle Lit room. The front light, which isn't controlled by the door switches, is brighter.

I would like to hear if anyone has added lighting to improve this.

Tom

There is an improvement available.

It's a HUGE improvement, but it will cost a few $$.

I know someone in the San Jose who makes and sells LED dome lights for the Toyota Land Cruiser/LX 450. The dome lights -- behind the front seats and behind the second row (in the cargo area) are simply plug in. Meaning you remove the cover, remove the old light bulb and insert the circuit board with the LED attahced.

He has a replacement for the front map lights, but when I bought my lights, these had not been developed, so I don't have a set of these. I have also replace my door courtesy lights on each of the doors with his LEDs.

If you're interested, you can check out his web page and email him. -- let me stress, these lights are not cheap, but they do make a huge difference in lighting. And the other benefit is that since they are LED, they draw MUCH less power from the battery. This means that if you happen to leave your dome light on, for some reason, you won't return to a dead battery.

Here's his LED light web site:

http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/led.html

His "other projects web site is:

http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/#projects

You might find some good tips/hints there -- if you want to see pics of a front axle service, or TRD supercharger install -- that's the place to look.

I'm not affiliated with George in any way, I'm just a satisfied customer. I have a few friends who have his lights, and they're all happy with them too.

Long answer to a simple question.

Cheers,

Doug

WOW!

Luxeon LED's, those things are hella bright!

I was going to suggest LED's, but had no idea there were kits availible. I thought the only way to use LED's in the LX would be to mod some up by yourself.

I use to sell cheaper LED's and some customers told me that they did mod their car intertior to take them.

LED's is the future in lighting. Some cars use them as tail lights.

-Robert