Steering Feel At Highway Speed

Just had our 25k service performed at the dealer. They performed the recall campain work and replaced both outside mirrors to due intermittant operation. They also replaced the rack and pinion stemming from a comment mentioned regarding how the steering felt while driving on the highway. Not sure what they found but will have to get an update from them when I return home. Has anyone else had their r&p replaced and what was the deal?

Just had our 25k service performed at the dealer. They performed the recall campain work and replaced both outside mirrors to due intermittant operation. They also replaced the rack and pinion stemming from a comment mentioned regarding how the steering felt while driving on the highway. Not sure what they found but will have to get an update from them when I return home. Has anyone else had their r&p replaced and what was the deal?

Sorry that I can't add much to this post but I would like to ask you about what you said to your dealer to get your steering rack replaced and to also further explain the "how the steering felt while driving down the highway" comment. The reason I ask is that my '06 GS 430 has "dead" spots when making small changes to the steering wheel like when keeping the car centered in the lane. But the problem I am experiencing is most noticeable when I am on an on or off ramp on the highway. The steering almost seems to stick in spots, however it is only once in a while but it is happening more and more often. Is this what you were referring to? I was resigned to thinking it was typical of the electric power steering systems in our cars.

I also had the dealer replace a dead driver's side outside mirror because the motor died but they did not replace the passenger side. Unfortunately, I was not aware of any recall campaign and am disappointed that my dealer didn't go ahead and fix both sides when they had it in a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your input.

"Sorry that I can't add much to this post but I would like to ask you about what you said to your dealer to get your steering rack replaced and to also further explain the "how the steering felt while driving down the highway" comment. The reason I ask is that my '06 GS 430 has "dead" spots when making small changes to the steering wheel like when keeping the car centered in the lane. But the problem I am experiencing is most noticeable when I am on an on or off ramp on the highway. The steering almost seems to stick in spots, however it is only once in a while but it is happening more and more often. Is this what you were referring to? I was resigned to thinking it was typical of the electric power steering systems in our cars."

My steering issue was exactly that. I always noticed it while maintaining lane position on the interstate. Keeping centered in the lane is only a slight pressure to the steering wheel and then release when the correction is made. However, my applied steering wheel pressure seemed to have not affect on correcting a drifting car and so more pressure would be applied. Then, the resistance would be overcome and the steering felt like something was being released and the car would over-correct for my intended adjustment.

I suspected the recall campaign had something to do with the steering but the service rep told me that what I explained was something different. I really never suspected the the rack and pinion would be replaced. I'm on the road now and when I return in a few days, I'll drive the car to see how it all feels.

MC,

I misunderstood you, I thought the recall was for the mirrors, not the steering. As my own dealer seems to be less than helpful with warranty repairs versus normal service work (I'm guessing it is smaller warranty dollars ($) versus bigger customer dollars ($$$) due to their attitude), I will need to get my facts straight when I approach them to get my steering fixed.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts after your fix. Thanks.

CVGolfer

I had that funny feeling. When you try to stay center and slightly turn steering wheel, it felt like it was stuck, then it would jerk over like you're overcorrecting. My dealer did an alignment, which helped, but I am still not 100% convinced issue is corrected. I can still feel it a little, but not as much. It's not there bad enough where it bothers me anymore, plus convincing the dealer .............. well, you know how that goes.

I had that funny feeling. When you try to stay center and slightly turn steering wheel, it felt like it was stuck, then it would jerk over like you're overcorrecting. My dealer did an alignment, which helped, but I am still not 100% convinced issue is corrected. I can still feel it a little, but not as much. It's not there bad enough where it bothers me anymore, plus convincing the dealer .............. well, you know how that goes.

Mine is also not so bad that my dealer will ever listen to me but it seems to have gotten worse since I changed from the Dunlop runflats to Michelin Pilot A/S tires. Since you said that an alignment helped a bit, maybe I need to follow suit as my car almost doesn't want to self-center the steering after making a slight correction. Back in the day I used to autocross and had my cars aligned to turn rather than necessarily go straight and they also did not like to track and were a bit "darty".

Thanks for the idea.

Finally got to drive the car after the rack and pinion was replaced. The steering problem went away and the car drove nice on the interstate. Additionally, there was also a pulsing vibration that went away but that may have been a tire balance issue - not totally sure.

Now, I just have to get the steering wheel straightened.

• 6 months later...