Rx400h Winshield

I had a rock hit my 2006 RX400h from a passing vehicle. I had the Lexus dealer replace the windshield because the crack extended up the drivers side, across the middle to obstruct vision. The dealer charged $1709. The Lexus windshield was over $1400 alone. Is this reasonable? I have $500 deductible comprehensive insurance. Now the insurance adjuster claims the dealer overcharged for the job. I called the insurance company recommended glass installer for an estimate and the installer said they would have to get the windshield from Lexus due to the rain sensors and special properties of the RX 400h.

Anybody getting this issue when replacing windshields from accidental damage that is covered by comprehensive insurance? Thanks for your response.

$1400 is the correct list price for the windshield. Lexus windshields are very expensive and your insurance company knows that. Insurance companies are fairly up to date with part prices as they deal with them everday in dealing with body shops.

This is often unavoidable but whenever I get hit by a rock, I have the window company do a repair of the ding as soon as possible. This will usually prevent a crack from spreading and the insurance companies waive the deductible (so it is a free repair). I have 2 repaired rock dings in my windshield now that haven't spread in about 1 year.

Wow! I had no idea those windshields were that expensive. Since we have $1000 deductible that hurts! Interesting tidbit, when I purchased my new IS in December they had an extra package that covered all dings and the windshield. I wasn't going to purchase it, but the 3rd day I took that little car out it got 3 dings! So I decided to buy it and of course I haven't had any new dings now. However, they put on some kind of protective coating on and in the car and the windshield which is supposed to help. I'm sure they sell it now for the RX400, too, but mine is now almost 2.5 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! I had no idea those windshields were that expensive. Since we have $1000 deductible that hurts! Interesting tidbit, when I purchased my new IS in December they had an extra package that covered all dings and the windshield. I wasn't going to purchase it, but the 3rd day I took that little car out it got 3 dings! So I decided to buy it and of course I haven't had any new dings now. However, they put on some kind of protective coating on and in the car and the windshield which is supposed to help. I'm sure they sell it now for the RX400, too, but mine is now almost 2.5 years old.

I paid one for one of mu friend, (happend when I was driving the car :( ) Cheapest was $550 plus tax installed. Aftermarket.