Laundry List Of Problems For 92 Ls 400

mickstix25

OK guys here's the scenario. I just purchased a 92 Lexus LS 400 about a month and a half ago. It has 222,000 miles on it but the engine purrs like a kitten. I purchased the car for a $1000. I have been reading the forum and you guys are the best at giving options for repair. I am not wealhty by a long shot in fact I'm pretty broke sometimes. I tinker around under the hood from time to time but nothing major. The car has some minor and major issues but I'm willing to take a chance because I know these cars are well built and last a very long time. I have another vehicle so this is my project car. Please Help

1.Traction control light comes on and stays on and yes I've pressed the button on and off.

2. The gas tank has a lot of air pressure when I take off the cap for refuel

3. The car sputters like crazy and sometimes even shuts off. After the car warms up ( about 15 to 20 minutes of driving ) it doesn't sputter as much. It seems like the coils could be bad or something along those lines. I really have no clue.

4. Transmission troubles!! The car shifts in the daytime but when I turn the headlights on at night it doesn't shift out of first gear and the reverse indicator stays lit even while in drive. The reverse lights don't work ( I changed the bulbs) I'm taking a guess at saying it's because the transmission is shot. Should I get a used tranny from somewhere or buy the rebuilders kit. Either way I won't be performinig the operation but just thought I should ask.

5. Drivers seat only comes up on one side

6. LCD panel is blacked out

7. A/C dosen't blow cold air could be coolant or could be compressor have to get back to you guys on that.

8. Factory rear subwoofer is gone and the wires are cut to the amplifier. Only have door speakers. Also has a aftermarket pioneer radio.

9. I can put the rear windows down from the driver side but not back up and the passenger window only goes up or down from the driver side.

Thank you guys in advance I know I'll get plenty of tips and advice on how to bring this baby back to glory. I plan on putting a few pics up. She is a beauty in and out and I know she's worth it.

You got plenty of problems there but nothing serious. A search of each item on here will reveal lots. A few pointers to help you!

2. Mine's the same and I think it's normal.

4. Sounds like the wiring loom on the hinge of the boot (trunk). The tranny is bulletproof. Lots of info on here.

6. Your most expensive job and plenty of info on the forum

Good luck, welcome and happy motoring. You'll soon be converted.

You got plenty of problems there but nothing serious. A search of each item on here will reveal lots. A few pointers to help you!

2. Mine's the same and I think it's normal.

4. Sounds like the wiring loom on the hinge of the boot (trunk). The tranny is bulletproof. Lots of info on here.

6. Your most expensive job and plenty of info on the forum

Good luck, welcome and happy motoring. You'll soon be converted.

I agree about the little black wire in the trunk, along the hinge. It's broken or exposed. Fix that, and then check what it does to the rest of the electronics, as that little wire has been known to be the root of lots of little wierd issues in your series.

Everything else you've metioned can be fixed for relatively cheap dollars. Your lcd display is infamous, and there is a sticky post at the top of index for it. Car sputters.... search "seafoam" and go buy some spark plugs. Gas tank.... charcoal canister might need replacing, but mine had built up pressure too, a different series than yours, and I never had a problem. infact, i've had several cars hiss at me when taking the cap off when i was low on gas. AC.... conversion kit might be needed to refill with the proper coolant, run a search for it as it's a pretty big topic on here as well. Walmart has a kit for pretty cheap. Traction light....again, search seafoam as you'll probably want to clean out the intake, which is free! Search for "cleaning throttle body" to learn more, big topic too. Also, search "drain and fill" for transmission fluid service. You're probably due. my recommendation is to stick with toyota tranny fluid. Go by the toyota dealer and buy a few quarts and read about the drain and fills.

Overall, you need the basic CPR service on the car to bring it back, which is mainly just a good cleaning of the fluids from front to back. And clean the throttle body, will help tremendously. The throttle bodies get sooo dirty that they can choke the car out.

I made a couple posts about Seafoam and cleaning the throttle body. They are very simple and cheap to do! About $7 for the Seafoam and around $10 for a new TB gasket!

Clean Throttle Body

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=clean+throttle

Seafoam

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&hl=Seafoam

The hiss when removing the gas cap is usually caused by a worn gasket on the cap. It should be replaced every 60,000 miles, I believe. Part number is 77316-16010. See www.lexls.com for replacement instructions.

I owe you guys all a beer!!!! I located the wiring loom in tghe trunk and disconnected and drove around the block and it shifted!!!!! The reverse indicator went out and everything. To think I was about to spend a load of money for a new tranny. I had to plug it back in because none of the lights worked int he rear but I now know the problem and it should be an easy fix. I also plan on getting the seafoam today and putting it in the brake booster. I cant get to the throttle body cleaning until this weekend. How easy it is. That makes this car a steal at $1100 bucks. I'm glad the previous owner didnt know about this forum. I'l be sure to rub it in his face though. Nah I'll play nice. I'll just suggest that he do his research first. Thanks again guys I'll post pics later this week.

nc211 and jchrome thanks a million I found the trunk hinge wires...there were two that was completely split apart. After reconnetion every that wasn't working now works. The reverse lights now work and the lights that are on the lid of the trunk now work as well. I can't tell you guys how much money ya'll saved me not to mention headache. I also took you guys advice and did the seafoaming....I used it in all three place brake booster, oil, and gas tank. I noticed the difference almost immediatly after the process.

Now I have another question my ABS light started blinking a few weeks ago now it stays on as. I think thats the reason the trac on/off light stays on as well. What do I do to get it to go off. It is the only light lit on my dash and annoys me. Please help!!! I plan on doing the throttle body cleaning this weekend if Lexus has the gasket in stock. Could the rear brakes need to be replaced and thats why the abs light stays on???

You mentioned the problem with the windows acting up-and down. I had a bad problem with my 94LS windows 4 years ago, and after extensive removals, tear downs, cleaning and spraying all the controllers with lubricants and the like, the windows still hung up. The problem for me was the main controller at the drivers side. I tore it apart, the springs, the plastic spacers, the electrical connectors, and still had occasional problems, especially trying to open and close the rear windows from the front. In frustration, I sprayed the drivers side controller with PB Blaster, the stuff we use to loosen bolts and such. Four years later, I have never had any problem with operating the windows. And no, I don't sell PB. I think maybe the main control copper contacts need to be almost "etched" after so many years. Best of luck....