Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check Engine Light)

leedoobert

so I was driving to my friend's house and as I was parking...*gasp* the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light) suddenly came on!! I currently own a 2001 IS300 and it only has 36,500 miles on it...

naturally, I went home and cracked open the IS300 manual and it tells me to make sure my gas cap is not loose as well as make sure I'm not running on an empty fuel tank...which OF COURSE is almost never the solution to this problem...

I don't feel any differences in the performance of my IS...it still accelerates normally and runs smoothly...no problems at all

I know this is a broad question, but any questions on what could be wrong with my IS?

i'm stressed!! =(

so I took it to my mechanic friend and I ended up getting the following error codes:

P0172

System too Rich (Bank 1)

P0175

System too Rich (Bank 2)

could it be that the air filter (connected to the intake) is clogged up and too dirty?

I know the feeling, belive me. My husband and I, we been spending so much money at the dealer!!! We got so tire of been charged, that while browsing the net, we found a Lexus as well as a Toyota ORIGINAL WHOLESALE/RETAIL AUTO PARTS. They are call TOYOLEX PARTS CONNECTIONS; we found them in Ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/TOYOLEX-PARTS-CONNECTION) and let me tell you great service! They have everything and the price, well we are soooo happy, and there is no comparison! www.toyolexparts.com

Pass the word around, because you can save real money, specially these days.

so I was driving to my friend's house and as I was parking...*gasp* the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light) suddenly came on!! I currently own a 2001 IS300 and it only has 36,500 miles on it...

naturally, I went home and cracked open the IS300 manual and it tells me to make sure my gas cap is not loose as well as make sure I'm not running on an empty fuel tank...which OF COURSE is almost never the solution to this problem...

I don't feel any differences in the performance of my IS...it still accelerates normally and runs smoothly...no problems at all

I know this is a broad question, but any questions on what could be wrong with my IS?

i'm stressed!! =(

you'll only have to buy one k&n filter since you can clean and recharge it.... so ya i guess if you're not gonna get an aftermarket intake ever it will eventually pay for itself.... plus it's just a better filter....

ok...so I haven't had the chance to buy a new air filter yet...

but so far, I had my mechanic turn off my check engine light and take the old air filter out and kinda shake it around and blow compressed air into it to kind of "clean it out"...then he put the old air filter back and suggested that maybe I should try getting a new air filter...

anyways, a day or two later, (still with my old air filter in) my check engine light turned on again! I will go and buy an air filter soon to replace the old one and see if the check engine light will turn off by itself...but at the moment, I am somewhat doubtful that changing the air filter will turn the check engine light off

i will keep you guys posted...

but in the meantime, do you guys think it could be anything else? my IS doesn't have any mods what-so-ever...

You may need to clean the sensors off. They may have a build up and giving a false read. The only way to really know is do a scan and datalog to see what's going on. After you get a new air filter in, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reset the ECU, clean the sensors, and then see if you still have an issue. IF you do, then I would recommend you take it in and find out what is going on. Could be the MAF-IAT, could be exhaust valve leak, could be bad spark plugs, on and on and on.

the funniest thing happened! I was driving yesterday night and the check engine light magically turned off by itself! i didn't even attempt to fix it yet!

the only 2 things that I changed in my daily rountine of driving prior to the check engine light turning off by itself is

1) it rained (it has been awhile since it has rained)

2) i was driving on the manual step-tronic "M" mode (i usually just drive it on "D")

weird huh?

Yeah, soemthing to remember. The ODB system is not a warning system. It's a data logging system. If a sensor reads an event that goes outside a set parameter, then it logs it into the ECU. If that event happens a certain amount of times during a set period of time, then the cel will go up to alert that there is something going on. So soemtimes cel lights will go on and then go out, only to return again. That's why I said before that you should have someone do some data logging with a scanner to see whats going on. then you can make the right diagnosis and fix the problem.

ok...so i finally bought a factory air filter from a lexus dealership and installed the new air filter, cleaned the sensors (i.e. MAF), and reset my check engine light!

is it possible that any of the sensors (for example MAF sensor) got dirty (like any of the detailing solutions/wax got onto the sensor) when the previous owner had the engine detailed?

in any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I hope that by changing the air filter and cleaning my MAF sensor that my check engine light STAYS off.

thanks for the help! will let you guys know if the light comes back on *knock on wood* =)

the bank 1 and bank 2 sensor are visible from the engine bay. If you look at your exhaust manifold, you'll see what looks like all metal spark plugs sticking out of it with a wire that comes out of the end of it. If you take those out and use a parts cleaner, or Kerosene, and clean the sensor off, then reinstall it. If the cel comes back, then you probably have a bad sensor and will need to replace it, or determine what is cause=ing the sensor to read that condition.

the bank 1 and bank 2 sensor are visible from the engine bay. If you look at your exhaust manifold, you'll see what looks like all metal spark plugs sticking out of it with a wire that comes out of the end of it. If you take those out and use a parts cleaner, or Kerosene, and clean the sensor off, then reinstall it. If the cel comes back, then you probably have a bad sensor and will need to replace it, or determine what is cause=ing the sensor to read that condition.

I'm still having a little bit of trouble finding the bank 1 and bank 2 sensor...maybe you can point them out for me? i'm totally clueless : /

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

post-42851-1207222638_thumb.jpg

I circled the one I could see from the pic. The other one is back in the shadow there behind the arrow. Those are the 2 sensors sending up your cel right now.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
You may need to clean the sensors off. They may have a build up and giving a false read. The only way to really know is do a scan and datalog to see what's going on. After you get a new air filter in, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reset the ECU, clean the sensors, and then see if you still have an issue. IF you do, then I would recommend you take it in and find out what is going on. Could be the MAF-IAT, could be exhaust valve leak, could be bad spark plugs, on and on and on.

Where are the sensors located?

Thanks