Any Engine (non Toyota/lexus Vehicle) Experts Out There?

denslexusgx470

Funny, I thought at first we had a forum for problems or engine issues, but since you don't really expect that from a Lexus or Toyota, we don't! lol :wacko:

Anyways to my question. I don't want to mention what vehicle this is for right now (to get a fair answer) but does anyone know what is the problem with an engine that EATS up oil, but doesnt leak out anywhere? Im pressuming it probably evaporated or something? Now some of you MAY know what vehicle I'm talking about, but for now I want to keep this as a general question. I'm just looking around (who knows I MAY or MAY NOT buy a used car) at some used SUVs that I want to use as a daily beater (as if 3 cars werent enough for us already! lol) and I've heard of engines that eat up oil, but don't leak out anywhere! The AD would say to add oil every once in awhile as the oil level goes down. Thanks in advance! I hope someone will help me with this question of mine. :blushing:

Any engine with worn piston rings will consume oil. How much oil is consumed depends entirely upon how worn the rings are. Some moderately-worn engines get by with adding a quart of oil between typical oil changes, while some severely-worn engines may require having a quart of oil added every couple of weeks. So be aware that if you're looking at purchasing a vehicle that is known to consume abnormal quantities of oil, you may be looking at an expensive piston ring job in the near future....

I see. Ok I'll mention what vehicle it is.

I'm looking at a Trooper, because so far my experience with my Trooper in the Philippines was wonderful! I was looking at some nice slightly used ones, but the only problem is (after I've done my homework and research) that it eats up the oil and a lot of people complain on the Trooper forums about it. I'm thinking of getting one as another daily beater (4Runner's too new, GX can't be a daily beater, Ody's got about minor $2,500 repairs needed, etc) and just to kinda "play" around with it. :D

This is the information I know so far. As for the 3rd Gen Trooper (which is the latest one, and the last one ever built) there were two different engines. The 92-97 had a 3.2L engine, while the 98-02 had a 3.5L engine. The 3.2L engine, I heard, were PERFECT. Doesnt eat up oil, just keeps running. the 3.5L engine, when they refreshed it, started having problems (probably when they turned over to GM I guess). Funny, the diesel counterpart (like my Common Rail Diesel in the Philippines) has Injector problems (luckily mine doesn't have it)! :angry:

I'm not really going to use the Trooper as a main car, but I would like to buy one (because they're so cheap, depreciation is so HIGH) as like an extra car. hehe.

So piston rings... I got feedback from another website that it might be oil gellin... Any more advice? I've already inquired at a local engine shop as to how much a new engine would cost and I'm willing to have it replaced IF i find a Trooper, nice condition, with a good price. ;)

And also if anyone has or knows anyone that has a TRooper, preferrably the 98-02 models, please ask them what their experience with that vehicle is! Thanks. :D

I've heard mixed results on them, most complaints had to do with engine related problems due to internal components going out, the whole burning oil, and some timing belt issues that blew the engines "might be rodeo I'm thinking about though". I do know that I've seen three on their roofs due to very easy rollover risk. I was behind one a few years ago that flipped going around a turn-about at just a tick over normal speeds. Acura had one too just like it. I think maybe that 3.2 engine might of been the honda powerplant?

I had a 98 Trooper and gave it up at the end of the lease with 45k on it. I had no oil issues.

Is it possible that because you only used it for 45k miles that maybe it didnt show up yet? They advice all owners to check their oil level regularly in case that you run out and blow your whole engine! hehe :o

NC, when you mentioned internal components, what components are you talking about? The Rodeo, particularly those 98 and newer (aka Honda Passporte also) had the same EXACT engine as the 3.5L 98-newer Troopers. So whatever problems that the Rodeo/Passport had, the Trooper MAY also have the same problems! :angry:

Yes, Acura did have the SLX (aka Trooper badged with an ACURA logo). The SLX had the 3.2 L engine, and I think they were still selling that car around 1998 and 1999 when they launched the 3.5L engine, so I believe there are some SLXs out there with a 3.5L engine, unless they are 97 and older models then they have the 3.2L engine.

do you notice any smoke at startup? Could be valve stem seals also. If you have a worn oil ring, chances are it will be evident on the spark plug of that cylinder, so a good prepurchase inspection sounds like a worthy investment.

I'll second that. :)

:cheers:

You probably already have this info, but I thought I would share just in case...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...uzu-trooper.htm

You can also check out www.nctd.com I find there are very good & detailed reviews & you can compare 3 vehicles side by side for complete specs. ;)

:cheers:

Lexusfreak, thanks for the info! I've gone through most websites, hence I've already registered at one Isuzu Forum but havent posted questions yet as all I need to do is scroll through their topics and read them. :)

Honestly, there isn't a particular unit that I'm looking at right now. I just heard from one of the realtors at my dad's office that he's planning to sell his 98 around Jun or July of this year so I've been going around town trying to see if there are any other ones out there.. But sad part is, there's NO OTHER Trooper out there! sheez!

Yes I still remember Consumer Report's complaint about roll-overs. But think about it, if you drive an SUV, you would go fast on a curve would you? Well at least I don't because I'm used to driving bigger vehicles hehe. :P The previous generation 4Runners had roll-over issues also, because of their narrow but tall stature.

Worn oil ring? hmm Ok I'll keep that in mind. The one at my dad's office, I havent really had the chance to inspect it myself, like start it up, rev it, etc. So I'll see when I have the chance, I'll let you guys know! I know I started one up at a dealership, and it was good, no smoke, but problem was after you rev it, there's a rattling sound that came from underneath. :huh:

At least we're dealing with gas engines here in America. Over when we were searching for one in the Philippines, I had the hardest time figuring out which unit was the best, because all of them puffed out black smoke! hehe. :P (but mine was the lowest mileage i've ever found so I knew it was still ok.)

I had a 98 Trooper and gave it up at the end of the lease with 45k on it. I had no oil issues.

Is it possible that because you only used it for 45k miles that maybe it didnt show up yet? They advice all owners to check their oil level regularly in case that you run out and blow your whole engine! hehe :o

NC, when you mentioned internal components, what components are you talking about? The Rodeo, particularly those 98 and newer (aka Honda Passporte also) had the same EXACT engine as the 3.5L 98-newer Troopers. So whatever problems that the Rodeo/Passport had, the Trooper MAY also have the same problems! :angry:

Yes, Acura did have the SLX (aka Trooper badged with an ACURA logo). The SLX had the 3.2 L engine, and I think they were still selling that car around 1998 and 1999 when they launched the 3.5L engine, so I believe there are some SLXs out there with a 3.5L engine, unless they are 97 and older models then they have the 3.2L engine.

I've known two Rodeo's suffer massive engine failure due to the timing belt snapping unexpectently. One was on an old girlfriend's 99' with 48k miles while driving down the highway from Chapel Hill to Wilmington. The other, was around 60k, my best friend's sister had a 2 door Rodeo, and again the belt just snapped one day and took out the engine. I believe hers was a 98' as well. Both were green though, so that might have something to do with it :lol: .

I knew a camera guy back in my film crew days that bought one of the new style troopers, I believe a 97 or 98, and he loved it. I saw him a few years later at a local coffee shop, noticed he still had it with about 80k on the clock, and he told me it's in the shop quite a bit for internal engine problems related to burning oil. Said he couldn't pass the state's emissions test for the past two years, which prompted expensive repairs to correct the problem. At that time, he said he was going to sell it before his state inspection period came up again. I saw him a couple years ago driving an older 4runner.

Honestly, who here can't say they've been behind an Isuzu at the stop light, and didn't get smoked/choked when the light turned green? Especially the older Troopers, the square box ones. It's been my experience with friends who've owned Isuzus that when the engine has a problem, it's usually a very big problem. Either all or nothing.

dens, my grandparents live in ilo ilo. :) go jeepney.

LMAO! How about FX, oh wait they're all Crosswinds and Revo's now (well maybe there's still a handful of Tamaraw FXs still running hehe)! lol ur pinoy? haha. Do you speak tagalog or the dialect in iloilo?

Anyways back to topic. so far I havent heard of any Troopers that had timing belts snap on them. I saw an LTD Trooper on ebay, looked really CLEAN, but had 107k on the odo. The bid's around $3000 but I don't have that kind of cash at the moment (Me, the 19 yr old kid, planning on buying a nice used car CASH on my own so yea I couldn't jump onto it even though it was IMMACULATE and I have trust that the engine is still good) But they said that all the records are in Richmond, VA (at the Isuzu dealer there). We'll see, I'm still canvasing around, and I really like the TRooper, but it's the problems that the vehicle has that keeps me from just jumping into one today. If i really didn't like this car too much, and heard of all these problems, I wouldn't even bother asking for advice! ;)

Maybe someday if I run into a nice Trooper with less than 50k then maybe I'll go for that one. ;) My Trooper in the Philippines is probably, if not, one of the youngest Troopers ever! 36k kilometers (about 22,500 miles) and it's a 2002 model. =) Once we bought that, I really LOVED driving that thing around (even though it was a slow !Removed! diesel haha) :P