Buy A Gs300 W/ Over 100k Miles?

I am currently looking at a couple 1999 GS300's for sale with about 100-110k miles, for around $10,000...very clean nice looking cars. The car will mostly be for highway driving to and from work.

My wife and I have a 2005 RX330 with 30,000 miles that we absolutely love, but we are cautious of cars with over 100k miles. From reviews I have read these cars should have another 100k, at least, left in them.

Is this a worth while investment, or I am going to end up paying to much in repairs and maintenance in the next 50-70k miles?

Any comments and suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated!

I was in the same position. I wanted a GS but 400s are hard to come by around my area and my budget was tight. I ended up buying a 2000 GS 400 with 139k miles (140k) for about $12,410 everything was about $16. If you just want a GS then get the 300. But if you want the GS and power then get the 400 way different. Just about the same gas mileage. I hear the 400 gets better mileage but then it’s the driver and were you drive it. You can always turbo the JZ motor (JZ=SUPRA MOTOR maybe a little different) in the 300, it’s a really good motor from what I hear. But if you want out of the box power go for the 400. Pulled on my buddy’s 07 TL Type S this past weekend =P. So I’m happy.

I'd steer clear of it unless all of the maintenance is documented.

I got rid of my 1999 GS 300 last summer when my ac condenser began dripping onto the carpet of the driver's side floor.

I took it to the dealer and they said that this was a common issue and could be repaired for $950.00.

I also had the same issue with the stereo display screen that fades in and out with this car and my previous LS.

Also, the back driver's side door lock actuator went out and that was going to cost another $800.

I decided to sell it and with 136,000 miles, I got $9500 for the car.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
I'd steer clear of it unless all of the maintenance is documented.

I got rid of my 1999 GS 300 last summer when my ac condenser began dripping onto the carpet of the driver's side floor.

I took it to the dealer and they said that this was a common issue and could be repaired for $950.00.

I also had the same issue with the stereo display screen that fades in and out with this car and my previous LS.

Also, the back driver's side door lock actuator went out and that was going to cost another $800.

I decided to sell it and with 136,000 miles, I got $9500 for the car.

Good Luck!

Love my GS300....3rd Lexus I've owned, never had any issues. Will continue to purchase Lexus with this track record. Do scheduled maintenance, oil changes, timing belt replacement, etc. Smooth, quite, reliable, and classy. B)