1993 Ls400 Speedometer Cluster

Riddle

Currently I have a 1993 lexus ls400 with about 98,000 miles on it. recently in the cold weather my dashboard doesnt light up until about an hour or more of driving.(untill the car really heats up.) i called lexus and they told me that it is the speedometer cluster that is messed up and that it would be about $1500 to replace the dashboard...my question is, is there any place where i can buy this part and have it shipped to me without going through lexus? All the dials work, except the one for the gas tank.

There are a ton of replies on this forum about the cluster problem. In fact the lead-off discussion on the Gen 1 forum is about the cluster problem. I took out the cluster (easy) and sent it to Jim Walker, and all is fine. He tells you how to remove and send the cluster to him. Best $225 I've ever spent, even better than my ex-wifes wedding band. Sorry, Laurie.

• 1 month later...
Currently I have a 1993 lexus ls400 with about 98,000 miles on it. recently in the cold weather my dashboard doesnt light up until about an hour or more of driving.(untill the car really heats up.) i called lexus and they told me that it is the speedometer cluster that is messed up and that it would be about $1500 to replace the dashboard...my question is, is there any place where i can buy this part and have it shipped to me without going through lexus? All the dials work, except the one for the gas tank.

check out my post on dead tach