Navigation System Updates, Rx300, 2001

Eldora

We've just acquired a 2001 RX 300 and have moved it from the Mid-Atlantic Coast to the Rockies. The Nav System is the 2000 v.1 that came with the car. It works OK, but it's pretty dated relative to new roads and routes in this part of the West. So, if we want to update it, what are the options?

Is this something that's available on the open market, or is it closed via the manufacturer and dealers? Recommendations on sources and costs?

Also what are the mechanics of the system? Per the manual the box seems to be in the right rear quarter behind the jack and it looks like a CD/DVD type of component with a disk slot. Is that correct, and, is the content of the system on a disk? If so, how does the box operate, i.e., is the original disk in there and does it eject, and how? There's a small port with a sliding cover next to the disk slit, but it's not clear what that port's for and how it's related to the disk port.

Would an update be on a disk to be inserted in that box, or are there computer download options? Or is there some combination of those, i.e., download to disk burn to box?

So, several questions here and any and all advice welcome. Thanks.

Hi Eldora,

You have a generation 2/3 navigation unit in your 2001 RX300. The v1 dvd is quite old as the newest one is version 7.1 made by navteq. The dvd is available from the dealer.

The system runs off of the dvd located in the trunk as you suspected. You wold have to remove the cover and then you would see an eject button next to the slot of the dvd drive. To update the system, simply insert the new dvd into the drive with the accessories in the car on.

• 1 month later...
Hi Eldora,

You have a generation 2/3 navigation unit in your 2001 RX300. The v1 dvd is quite old as the newest one is version 7.1 made by navteq. The dvd is available from the dealer.

The system runs off of the dvd located in the trunk as you suspected. You wold have to remove the cover and then you would see an eject button next to the slot of the dvd drive. To update the system, simply insert the new dvd into the drive with the accessories in the car on.

I cannot send you a private message as you are a new member. I have the navigation dvd you need. Contact me at:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

and I can send you more information about the dvd disc and answer any other question you may have about upgrading the navigation system. I can also send you some detailed instructions on how to access the drive and disc.

Hi Eldora,

I cannot send you a private message as you are a new member. I have the navigation dvd you need. Contact me at:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

and I can send you more information about the dvd disc and answer any other question you may have about upgrading the navigation system. I can also send you some detailed instructions on how to access the drive and disc.

Hi Stephen,

I'm a new member and sorry for double posting. I'm also interested in the disc and would like to know if its possible for you to share. I've called Lexus and they are charging an arm and a leg for the dvd to upgrade my 2001 RX 300 nav system.

thank you,

kohl

I just purchased the DVD at Lexus today. Part# is PT219-GEN23-07 the cost is $ 233.20. I have the original version in my 01 as well. Cant wait to see whats on this one!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have a 2001 RX300 with version 2000 V.1 nav.

The dealer says the cost of the new DVD is $265, but with labor it's $400. That's way too much.

Is it straightforward to install a new DVD if I bought it?

I looked at the dvd box in the trunk. It has a sliding button that opens and closes the dvd door, but that's about it. No Ejection button or anything else.

How does this work? does the DVD stay in the box?

Thanks for any help.

Tanno