Install 400h Gps Update

If the navigation is the same as the one in my '06 GS300, open the glovebox and look at the top right corner. Do you see a dvd drive slot?

Tape Menu, and then you will see a button appear that says Map DVD. Press that button, and then you will see a choice to eject said dvd. Insert the new dvd and sit back and enjoy as the update commences.

Contact me if you have any more questions or need more info:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

If the navigation is the same as the one in my '06 GS300, open the glovebox and look at the top right corner. Do you see a dvd drive slot?

Tape Menu, and then you will see a button appear that says Map DVD. Press that button, and then you will see a choice to eject said dvd. Insert the new dvd and sit back and enjoy as the update commences.

Contact me if you have any more questions or need more info:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

The Nav unit is located in the back under area near spare tire. Do a search.

I downloaded a copy of the v7.1 update for my 2006 400h gps. I burned it on a double layer DVD but I now don't have any idea what to do with the disk. Where do I install it in the car?

Per the 2006 RX400h Nav manual, the DVD reader is in the compartment closest to the rear seats. That's under the deck at the back of the SUV. If you have the Nav manual, page 20 shows where the NAV DVD is located. Last year, I was able to find a site at www.lexus-parts.com which told you how to determine which 'Generation' you car used. (The 2006 RX400h uses Gen 4!) It also had a link to 'Navigation System Installation Guide' which I fortunately printed. It is no longer available I'm sorry to say. Its instructions (with pictures) said:

1: Replace the navigation DVD

a. Turn the ignition switch to the "ACC" or "ON" position.

b. Open the rear hatch.

c. Open the deck board sub-assembly. (picture shows section closest to rear passenger seats)

d. Support the deck board via the supporting rod. (rod lifts from front, close to seats, to upright to fit in deck slot 'hole')

e. Disengage the 2 claws. (DVD is on the right side and drive faces left)

f. Remove the navigation ECU cover.

g. Press the "PUSH" button and slide it to the left. This will open the dust cover and eject the DVD.

h. Remove and discard the old DVD. (I don't think so... keep just in case!)

i. (this step didn't print but I think it probably read something like 'insert new dvd')

j. Press the "PUSH button and slide it to the right. This will close the dust cover.

k. Reinstall the navigation ECU cover.

l. Return the support rod to the closed position.

m. Close the deck Board sub-assembly

2. Verify the search area is set to the local area described in the navigation system owners manual.

3. Your navigation system will now update on its own.

I think it's important to get the right "Gen" update... for the 2006 RX400h is Gen 4. I hope the above helps. I think just knowing where the drive is located is a good start. If you want more help, reply.

• 2 weeks later...
I downloaded a copy of the v7.1 update for my 2006 400h gps. I burned it on a double layer DVD but I now don't have any idea what to do with the disk. Where do I install it in the car?

Per the 2006 RX400h Nav manual, the DVD reader is in the compartment closest to the rear seats. That's under the deck at the back of the SUV. If you have the Nav manual, page 20 shows where the NAV DVD is located. Last year, I was able to find a site at www.lexus-parts.com which told you how to determine which 'Generation' you car used. (The 2006 RX400h uses Gen 4!) It also had a link to 'Navigation System Installation Guide' which I fortunately printed. It is no longer available I'm sorry to say. Its instructions (with pictures) said:

b. Open the rear hatch.

c. Open the deck board sub-assembly. (picture shows section closest to rear passenger seats)

d. Support the deck board via the supporting rod. (rod lifts from front, close to seats, to upright to fit in deck slot 'hole')

g. Press the "PUSH" button and slide it to the left. This will open the dust cover and eject the DVD.

i. (this step didn't print but I think it probably read something like 'insert new dvd')

j. Press the "PUSH button and slide it to the right. This will close the dust cover.

2. Verify the search area is set to the local area described in the navigation system owners manual.

I think it's important to get the right "Gen" update... for the 2006 RX400h is Gen 4. I hope the above helps. I think just knowing where the drive is located is a good start. If you want more help, reply.

Hello Everyone

I am from Australia and I have a LS430 2002 Model and I saw that you have been talking on how to install a gps update. This might be the wrong thread but you guys seem to know what you are doing.

I have found on other sites instructions for the 430, but they are similar to the ones you listed.

Now the problem I am having is that when I unbolt my gps unit and when I slide the push / eject switch the dust cover opens but no disc will come out. Now there must be one already in there I think ??? Mabye if it has never been upgraded there is no disc. So I am just wondering if there anything that I need to do in the menu or secret menu of the gps system. Because I have tried everything else, with the car on / off, pressing the i agree or not.

So could you please try and help me.

Thanks

Andre

• 1 year later...

The DVD drive is under the door to the tire jack and other tools. If you look in the compartment to the right you will see a small door that you can open. That will give you access to the front panel of the DVD drive where you insert the disc. There is an eject button on there too that you have to slide over first. Do you mind letting me know where you were able to download the disc. I need one for my 2006 400h (I think its Gen 4?) and I don't want to pay my dealer $268.00.

Thanks, and I hope that helps.

I just dropped off the RX for the steering recall and was given an ES350 with navigation. Based upon its total confusion when trying to get me to an alternate highway, I am reluctant to upgrade the NAV software in our RX.

The other thing I think is a bit unsettling is that I have to pay for the gas I use in the loaner car. We are asked to bring the vehicle in to be "fixed" and yet we have to pay for gas to get to work. When I take the (out of warranty) Corvette in, I am driven to work and picked up later. I don't spend a dime on fuel, other than to drive my car to the dealership and back.

I think the customer should be allowed a stated mileage and then anything beyond that mileage requires a per-mile fee, which would essentially cover fuel costs.

My dealer does not (as yet) charge anything for a loaner car.

Tom

My dealership doesn't charge me per se, but does mention that I should "bring the car back with the gas gauge indicator in the same position."

I just dropped off the RX for the steering recall and was given an ES350 with navigation. Based upon its total confusion when trying to get me to an alternate highway, I am reluctant to upgrade the NAV software in our RX.

The other thing I think is a bit unsettling is that I have to pay for the gas I use in the loaner car. We are asked to bring the vehicle in to be "fixed" and yet we have to pay for gas to get to work. When I take the (out of warranty) Corvette in, I am driven to work and picked up later. I don't spend a dime on fuel, other than to drive my car to the dealership and back.

I think the customer should be allowed a stated mileage and then anything beyond that mileage requires a per-mile fee, which would essentially cover fuel costs.

Why do you find it unsettling you would have to pay for gas you use in a loaner car? You'd have to pay for gas you'd use in your car.

If you ask the dealer to drive you to work and drop you off and pick you back up they will do that. A loaner car is an upgrade to what you're talking about, which is a courtesy shuttle that pretty much all lower end car dealerships have. I'd much rather have my own loaner car to drive instead of waiting around on some van to come get me.

As for the nav disk, the nav in the ES350 is a different company than yours, the upgrade of the maps won't change how yours calculates.

The ride I get from the Chevy dealership is not in a shuttle van. I am driven to work with no one else in the car (not a van). It's somewhat like using a taxi except the vehicle is much nicer than a typical taxi. And there is little to no wait. Now I can't say that all Chevy customers get treated this way, but I do and that is why I go back to that dealership.

Regarding the loaner car, I find it unsettling because of the recall. It would be like having a company send you a defective product and then turn around and expect you to pay for shipping to send it back. If my car is defective, it shouldn't cost me anything to have it fixed, especially while under warranty. Granted, not all people feel this way, but hey, sometimes you don't get what you deserve unless you complain....

Dave

I just don't get it. You would have put gas in your car anyways, why would you expect to have free gas in the loaner?

It won't cost you anything to get your vehicle repaired under the recall...its gas you would have normally used in your own vehicle...

I just don't get it. You would have put gas in your car anyways, why would you expect to have free gas in the loaner?

It won't cost you anything to get your vehicle repaired under the recall...its gas you would have normally used in your own vehicle...

If my car weren't recalled, I wouldn't have to drive the 45 miles back and forth to the dealership. But that's not the only gas I had to use; the gas in the loaner represents another 45 miles, so the total number of gallons of gas consumed because Lexus had to fix their mistake amounts to almost 4 gallons or about $10. Of course, since I wanted to have the brake fluid flushed, I had to bring the RX there anyway, so the expenditure to get back and forth to work was only $5.00, but still.........

If my car weren't recalled, I wouldn't have to drive the 45 miles back and forth to the dealership. But that's not the only gas I had to use; the gas in the loaner represents another 45 miles, so the total number of gallons of gas consumed because Lexus had to fix their mistake amounts to almost 4 gallons or about $10. Of course, since I wanted to have the brake fluid flushed, I had to bring the RX there anyway, so the expenditure to get back and forth to work was only $5.00, but still.........

If I recall correctly, the Lexus dealer fills your fuel tank to FULL after any recall work.

Are we really arguing over $5?

The dealer would have even driven the loaner to you and picked your car up...

It just astonishes me how much people over-expect service to be...

Should they come clean your house too? How about reimburse you for that soda and bag of chips you bought to consume on the ride home?

Be glad you have a car from a company that recalls them before the NHTSA makes them...

Preposterous.

It just astonishes me how much people over-expect service to be...

Should they come clean your house too? How about reimburse you for that soda and bag of chips you bought to consume on the ride home?

Be glad you have a car from a company that recalls them before the NHTSA makes them...

Preposterous.

I don't expect the dealer to cough up for chips & soda, but i HAVE come to expect those GREAT warm/soft cookies ... oatmeal and/or chocolate chip ... that the service department always leave out ... YUM YUM !! Foo foo coffee too. :P

Now I'll segway back to the OP. Hugh? "downloaded" DVD ?? Man, the ops used to jump all over that. They must be gettin' old :D The DVD's are hard copies, last time I checked ... so the only downloads are from torrent sites like pirate bay, etc (which by the way just got 4 of their main dudes hauled into court for copyright violations). Well, I don't want to be accused of playing cyber cop, so I'll just leave it alone.

If I recall correctly, the Lexus dealer fills your fuel tank to FULL after any recall work.

I wish!

Hey, I didn't become a billionaire by giving away my money for no reason! :D

And no, my dealership has never offered to do that, so I would assume, it is not available there.

astonishes me how much people over-expect service to be...

I did ask them to wash the RX, but I received it in exactly the same condition. (well, except for that scratch near the key hole, but I used Scratch X to remove that when I arrived home.)

you have a car from a company that recalls them before the NHTSA makes them...

I guess I should be glad that they didn't give me a gas-hog RX350! :P

perposterous!
No, highly demanding of the dealership that sold me a $55K vehicle!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference between being highly demanding and being preposterous. Expecting there to be no charge for everything is not reasonable. Yes they sold you a $55,000 vehicle...and probably made about $1500 from that sale after they paid the salesman. $55,000 is not that high priced a car anymore.

It is completely reasonable for the dealership to ask that you refill the loaner with fuel...the loaner they have provided you for free. Hell, even when you PAY for a rental car you have to refill it with fuel.

Ah, but let's see how you answer this one......

You buy a new computer from your local computer store. This is not just any computer, since while the average computer runs about $800, you spend $1600 on a more powerful version with upgrades in every category. The computer is warranted for 2 years and just before the warranty has expired, the dealership tells you that there is a chance your computer will catch on fire, so it will have to be serviced. In addition, they can't do any of the work on the weekends when you are not working, so you MUST take at least three hours off from work at a time when management is looking for just one good reason to send you out the door (...not because of your capability, but because money is "tight".). Traffic is horrendous, both ways.

Fortunately, you will be provided a car, but of course, you must drive cross-town to bring in the computer and pick up the car. In addition, you must leave work early during one of many important meetings to give yourself enough time to fill up the tank and then pick up your computer. By the time you arrive, the service department is closed, so you can't really ask anyone why there is a gouge near the DVD burner cover. Because of the heavy traffic, you end up skipping your trip to the gym, only to come home to a cold supper.

Is this acceptable?

Would you be the least bit irritated?

The scenerio below is why I started buying clone drives over 5 years ago ... runing RAID's on our network. Pull out out one JBOD ... shove it into another system, and FEDEX the potential fire bomb system to the repair joint ... on my lunch break, of course B)

Ah, but let's see how you answer this one......

You buy a new computer from your local computer store. This is not just any computer, since while the average computer runs about $800, you spend $1600 on a more powerful version with upgrades in every category. The computer is warranted for 2 years and just before the warranty has expired, the dealership tells you that there is a chance your computer will catch on fire, so it will have to be serviced. In addition, they can't do any of the work on the weekends when you are not working, so you MUST take at least three hours off from work at a time when management is looking for just one good reason to send you out the door (...not because of your capability, but because money is "tight".). Traffic is horrendous, both ways.

Fortunately, you will be provided a car, but of course, you must drive cross-town to bring in the computer and pick up the car. In addition, you must leave work early during one of many important meetings to give yourself enough time to fill up the tank and then pick up your computer. By the time you arrive, the service department is closed, so you can't really ask anyone why there is a gouge near the DVD burner cover. Because of the heavy traffic, you end up skipping your trip to the gym, only to come home to a cold supper.

Is this acceptable?

Is this acceptable?

Your scenario is a little convoluted. What does any of that stuff have to do with paying for the gas you use in the loaner?!?

But yes, I would understand that I purchased a computer from a place that is far from my home and I would understand that I need to bring it to them for repair during the times they are open for business. It honestly would never occur to me that would be an issue.

For one, the dealership is open on the weekend. I'm sure if you told them you could only drop the car off on Saturday and pick it up the following saturday they would do that and leave you in the loaner for the week...my dealer would do that. I've dropped my car off and its needed warranty repairs and they have told me to take the loaner on a trip.

Also, like I said if you explained the situation to the dealer I bet they would have come and picked it up for you and dropped off the loaner.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask. Did you even talk to the dealer to see ways in which they could accomodate you?

In any event, if you didn't have time to stop for 5 minutes and get gas, just let the dealer charge you for the gas. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Or maybe next time you should buy a car with a dealer thats closer to your home if this is such an imposition.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can you email me where one can get hold of the new DVD. Did everything work out okay for you with your update?

I also have a 2006 RX400h and would like to upgrade the Nav like you have.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Andrew

andy_taipei@mail.com

b. Open the rear hatch.

Hello Everyone

I am from Australia and I have a LS430 2002 Model and I saw that you have been talking on how to install a gps update. This might be the wrong thread but you guys seem to know what you are doing.

I have found on other sites instructions for the 430, but they are similar to the ones you listed.

Now the problem I am having is that when I unbolt my gps unit and when I slide the push / eject switch the dust cover opens but no disc will come out. Now there must be one already in there I think ??? Mabye if it has never been upgraded there is no disc. So I am just wondering if there anything that I need to do in the menu or secret menu of the gps system. Because I have tried everything else, with the car on / off, pressing the i agree or not.

So could you please try and help me.

Thanks

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Back on topic, regarding upgrading the NavData for the GPS system, LexusPartsWorld.com has the latest disk (Nov "08) for the Gen 4 (2006 RX400h) for $199; a previous poster has explained how to install it quite clearly. Personally, I would not use a pirate copy for this or any other purpose.