Mark Levinson Subwoofer Replacement And/or Repair

boblexus430

• 3 weeks later...

Bob,

thanks so much! This worked like a charm. I got a glue gun from Michaels arts & crafts and went to work. I played music with

bass so I could see the tear. I could not see it by a visual inspection at first. I have pictures and a quicktime movie of the process if anyone wants me to email them. Now my sub is fixed and sounds great!

The repair took me about 20 minutes and works.

Can you PLEASE send the video(if you still have it) to Chirag7184@gmail.com...thanks THANKS thanks!

Bob,

thanks so much! This worked like a charm. I got a glue gun from Michaels arts & crafts and went to work. I played music with

bass so I could see the tear. I could not see it by a visual inspection at first. I have pictures and a quicktime movie of the process if anyone wants me to email them. Now my sub is fixed and sounds great!

Randy, please send me the pictures, etc as i need to do this. I tried to PM you but can't.

Worked like a charm. Had to take out the back seats on my 02 es300 but i got to it and glued it and as good as new. Saved me $500. I have a copy on how to take out the back seats and get to the ML sub for this car. If anyone needs it just pm me.

PLEASE COULD YOU SEND ME THE COPY OF HOW TO TAKE THE BACK SEATS OUT?.....PLEASE, PLEASE...BEEN TRYING FOR SO LONG TO FIX THE SUB..THANK YOU

Brad,

Thank you for your post of even more common sense. I tried 2 rounds of the inside of the cone, but no joy. Once I followed your advice and circled the outside perimeter, le jeux sont fait. (Apologies to Sartres).

Best, Lee

Irvington, VA

Subwoofer Fix

Feedback from a 2001 LS-430 subwoofer fix. Firstly, thank you very much for your basic advice. The French Philosopher Voltare wrote, "Common sense is not so common." I guess you're an exception to the rule. I started with a glue gun around the cone - nothing. Then I went around the very outside of speaker where the poly vinyl is attached to the metal frame - bingo! This was so easy I feel guilty. Everything is back to normal. I really couldn't get close enough to see cracks due to the speaker being so tight in the back window unless one uses special mirrors - so just go for it with a glue gun. Use the tiniest one you can find at a hobby store; this makes it easy to access. Plus, the glue sets in 2 minutes so you can test the speaker. Silicone is okay, but you need to let it set for hours and it outgasses, stinking up the car's interior. Stay with the glue gun. Thanks again, Bob.

Brad

Scottsdale, AZ

• 2 months later...

Bob,

Hi Randy,

Please email me your pics and quicktime movie of your repair process. My ML subwoofer is so scratchy with bass now. Thanks a lot:)

Bob,

Can you PLEASE send the video(if you still have it) to Chirag7184@gmail.com...thanks THANKS thanks!

Can U please send the video to mslm2u@aol.com . . . thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Randyg215 .....

could you please forward email... i'm having heck getting the back seat out... i allowed shop to unplug speaker because it was rattling so bad... so i have to get it plugged back in then do the repair...

and i cant get back seat out...

kthompson@zianet.com

tks kt

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Randy,

My bass speaker appears to be bad and the replacement estimate is ridiculous! I'd appreciate your pictures and movie if they're still available.

Thanks!

meeskamooska@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

The hot glue/silicone fix did not resolve the problem completely, and now I have a front speaker that rattles as well. I was considering replacing the Levinson sub with a sub enclosure in the trunk with a separate amp. The quotes I received were around $600-700 for parts and installation. Both shops claimed that the bass response would be an improvement over the stock system, but ultimately I did not like the idea of tinkering around with the original set up. Also, I found that the impedance for the various speakers is hard to match with aftermarket products. For instance, the industry standard for the door speakers (I was told) is 4 ohms, versus the 8 ohms for the Levinson. The shop told me that this wouldn't be a problem for the amp. However, because of the impedance differential, the volume through the new speakers would be lower, and so I would have to adjust the fader to compensate. I didn't like that solution. Ultimately, I decided just to replace the door speaker and subwoofer with OEM parts through Sewell Lexus. Sewell Lexus offers a substantial discount to Club Lexus members, so that the Levinson sub was only $298.52. (You have to sign up with Sewell, and indicate that you're a CL member, and the discount will be automatic when you check out.) As for the door speaker, the dealer wanted $176.22. With the CL discount, the Sewell price was $102.58. I will have a car stereo shop do the install.

:) GREAT ADVISE WITH THE CAULK! i have had such a repair last for two years now. HOT GLUE MELTS IN OPEN SUN (HEAT). I HAVE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE IN ANOTHER VENUE. IN THE INTENSE HEAT OF A CLOSED CAR I THINK THE REPAIR MAY DISSOLVE. I wish i had read your post before i had first spent a lot of time trying to remove the sub-woofer.

• 1 month later...

Bob, you must have saved owners with the woofer problem thousands of dollars in replacement costs. I popped the woofer cover which has 4 separate compression posts in each corner. Turned woofer on and saw a number of speaker tears. Ran a bead of hot glue from a cheapy small glue gun and wow, the woofer sounds great. Good suggestion from another poster, though about running a full glue bead around the entire cone, where it connects to the outer edge, just to be safe. Glue has no effect on quality of sound which is amazing. Thanks again.

Purchased a 01 LS430 Ultra 60k mi last week had a rattling woofer, used the hot glue technique and so far so good.

Thanks Bob.

Also the passenger window has the "frost" look where the laminate is coming a loose. Is there a way that this can be repaired without replacing the glass? Also how do I know if the air suspension is stuck on high? Otherwise a great car

• 1 month later...

Ran across this life/money saving post via Google search. I am truly estactic, here are my results;

Just bought 2003 LS430 on 3.17.2011, It was so clean that I drove off the lot without cranking audio. 3 hours later noticed blown sub, felt like an idiot!!!!

I blew the sub in my '92 SC400 15 years ago so I know these ain't cheap.

1) Used a flat wide round nose butter knife to pry off grill. Go slowly and gently increase pressure.

Knife may bend a bit to a lot until compression fittings let go. Make sure you don't knock fittings off grill,

they could fall onto deck and rattle around there forever!.

2) With music on loud enuff to get subwoofer buzz, I placed and moved my finger gently around cone/foam suspension junction

until I found the spot to make it stop buzzing. Even though I could see no tears I assumed this was the spot.

3) No electricity out back for glue gun so I bought small tube of "GE Silicone II Clear - Premium Waterproof Silicone - 3 Hour rain ready/ sun-freeze proof"

Cost me $4.29 from the caulk section of the hardware store.

4) Since the sub is almost purely moving air, probably handling everything under 200Hz or maybe even lower, I thought it safe

to add a fair amount. Made small bead of silicone around entire cone/foam suspension junction and to be safe outside metal frame where it joins foam.

Grab a small make up mirror to see area closest to front seat where you can't see that well. I used my finger to smooth out beads and ensure

there was total coverage. This particular silicone wipes off easily from finger with paper towel

Three hours later it works awesome !!!! No smell from curing etc. either!!! I am not going to crank it until tomorrow after 24 hour cure

but already light years improvement

I love when a plan works - Thanks so much to the poster for this idea!!! What a waste of money it would be to pay 300-700$ to replace that sub!!!

I added a bit of detail so as to help the next guy who is extremely *BLEEP*ed off and !Removed! out the Lexus dealer about the sub! Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I do agree with this fix and the concept of behind it.

I have repaired numerous speakers using this same method, although I prefer using the 100% silicon for it's flexability.

In fact, I have filled almost 100% of the missing foam between the cone and the frame with great results and sound quality.

My money is on the RTV....

The hot glue gun will work but will not flex as much as the silicon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can your fix for the subwoofer be applied to the rear door speakers also?

I have used this system, using silicone which is more flexible than glue gun, on many speakers, including tears in the actual cone, as well as around the perimeter, with and without foam surround. It has always worked well for me, both in cars, and on home entertainment systems, plus antique radios. Cheers, Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Randyg215, can you please e-mail me the pics and video file to arkota430@gmail.com for the sub fixing. thank you.

Bob,

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

• 1 month later...

I just bought my second 2002 LS430 last week (only 70,000 miles). The bass was all the way off when I test drove the car, so I didn't notice the sub was blown until I got home with car. I found this post and it worked great!!! Thanks for saving me on the purchase of a new sub!

• 2 months later...

I now have what sounds like two blown subwoofers in my 2003 LX-470 (I know embarassing). The driver's side door sub-woofer and the left rear (next to third row seats) is just starting to waffle.

Can you please send pictures and videos to rchan002@gmail.com. I will update this thread with my results. Thanks.

thank you so much, you just save me $500. I don't even bother to find the crack, just put the glue around the speaker and it fix the problem.

for people who want to see how to remove the cover for LS430, go here:

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/stereo...LS43001_03P.htm

scroll down to see the pictures

Thank you SOOO much for this link, i was ready to remove the back seats and the whole deal to glue/fix my sub...thanks again.