1992 Es 300 Service Questions

Happy Easter!

I have a 1992 Es300 with 140,000 miles. I am using the car fairly sparingly and would like to get a few more years use from it. I decided I am not going to put the money in to fix the oil leaks, dash board lights, radio that went out and a like. However, the oil is changed every 3,000 miles, the air filter every year and I would like to keep up on non-expensive maintenance. The last time 'major' service performed was 3 years ago when the timing belt, water pump, belts, coolant, transmission fluid, fuel filter, plugs, etc. were looked after. At that time, the car had 116,000 miles. To this end, I am thinking of getting the following done and have a few questions:

Coolant - Does it matter if the color is red or green?

Transmission Fluid - The last time the service was done, the shop had a piece of equipment that 'flushed' the fluid. The prior time the pan was dropped. As I recall, the cost for each service was the same at about $100 because when the pan was dropped it cost $45 for a 'kit', which I guess, was a new gasket and what ever else. As I also recall reading, flushing is better because all the old fluid is removed where as when the pan is dropped a bunch stays in. Is this correct? Cost being about equal, which way would you go?

Fuel Filter - At about $35 for the filter, it seems worth getting change again. The last time the filter was purchased at a Toyota dealership and a local mechanic friend installed it. Does it matter if the filter comes from the likes of Pep Boys? Out of curiosity, where on my car is the fuel filter located?

PCV Valve - At about a cost of $10, this part also seems worthy of changing. Again, does it matter if this part is purchased from the likes of Pep Boys instead of the dealer? How does the old one come out and it easy to install the new one?

Belts - Should the power steering and V belts be replaced again? It has been only 24,000 miles, but three years has passed.

Any thoughts and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Anovice

Happy Easter!

I have a 1992 Es300 with 140,000 miles. I am using the car fairly sparingly and would like to get a few more years use from it. I decided I am not going to put the money in to fix the oil leaks, dash board lights, radio that went out and a like. However, the oil is changed every 3,000 miles, the air filter every year and I would like to keep up on non-expensive maintenance. The last time 'major' service performed was 3 years ago when the timing belt, water pump, belts, coolant, transmission fluid, fuel filter, plugs, etc. were looked after. At that time, the car had 116,000 miles. To this end, I am thinking of getting the following done and have a few questions:

This issue has been debated several times on this forum. From what I understand, if the coolant in the car is currently Toyota Red, continue to use it. If you want to switch to the green kind, you have to flush the system very thoroughly first.

Transmission Fluid - The last time the service was done, the shop had a piece of equipment that 'flushed' the fluid. The prior time the pan was dropped. As I recall, the cost for each service was the same at about $100 because when the pan was dropped it cost $45 for a 'kit', which I guess, was a new gasket and what ever else. As I also recall reading, flushing is better because all the old fluid is removed where as when the pan is dropped a bunch stays in. Is this correct? Cost being about equal, which way would you go?

I would just to several drain and refills over the course of 5-6000 miles.

Fuel Filter - At about $35 for the filter, it seems worth getting change again. The last time the filter was purchased at a Toyota dealership and a local mechanic friend installed it. Does it matter if the filter comes from the likes of Pep Boys? Out of curiosity, where on my car is the fuel filter located?

The filter does not need to be changed very often. If everything is working fine, I would just leave it.

PCV Valve - At about a cost of $10, this part also seems worthy of changing. Again, does it matter if this part is purchased from the likes of Pep Boys instead of the dealer? How does the old one come out and it easy to install the new one?

I always purchase OEM Toyota parts for my car. Most of the parts I have bought for my car from auto parts stores have not been exactly the same as the ones I buy from the dealer. To me, it is not worth the small amount of money saved.

Belts - Should the power steering and V belts be replaced again? It has been only 24,000 miles, but three years has passed.

I believe the replacement interval is 60,000 miles or 6 years. They are probably fine.

Anovice

Happy Easter!

There was an issue years ago about mixing coolant types, but as far as I know, it has been resolved. Best to check with a toyota mechanic though.

Transmission Fluid - The last time the service was done, the shop had a piece of equipment that 'flushed' the fluid. The prior time the pan was dropped. As I recall, the cost for each service was the same at about $100 because when the pan was dropped it cost $45 for a 'kit', which I guess, was a new gasket and what ever else. As I also recall reading, flushing is better because all the old fluid is removed where as when the pan is dropped a bunch stays in. Is this correct? Cost being about equal, which way would you go?I prefer a flush over a drain and fill, but I am still superstitious about getting a flush done to a vehicle that has a ton of neglect. However, I think that most of those cases where the flush "damaged" the transmission, is not that it damaged anything at all. I think that the transmission was already having problems, which caused them to bring it in for a flush :)

Fuel Filter - At about $35 for the filter, it seems worth getting change again. The last time the filter was purchased at a Toyota dealership and a local mechanic friend installed it. Does it matter if the filter comes from the likes of Pep Boys? Out of curiosity, where on my car is the fuel filter located?I have no qualms with using a parts store brand filter. It should be located on the drivers side under the hood, on the bottom part of the area where the strut mounts on that side

PCV Valve - At about a cost of $10, this part also seems worthy of changing. Again, does it matter if this part is purchased from the likes of Pep Boys instead of the dealer? How does the old one come out and it easy to install the new one? If you get one from a parts store, spend the extra few dollars and get a good name brand. I recently bought a random PCV valve from the parts store, and it made the loudest rattling noise

Belts - Should the power steering and V belts be replaced again? It has been only 24,000 miles, but three years has passed. I'm not sure about change interval time, but if you are already in the process of replacing things you probably should. It is cheap insurance :). If either one of those belts break, then you are not going much further.

Anovice

I would get the plugs replaced in addition to what you have mentioned if your planning to keep the car for a few more years. As for the tranny, I would just do a 'drain & fill' personally & replace the plug gasket. Won't hurt to go with the 'tranny kit' either.

Grab a couple of jugs of Toyota coolant at your local Toyota parts department (it's pretty much the same price as the others in the auto parts stores so why not just use it?). PCV valve & fuel filter I agree should be changed too. As mentioned, your belts are probably just fine.

:cheers:

But Toyota/Lexus uses life time fuel filters.....

I recently pulled the fuel filter off of mine at 220k. Looks like someone attempted it at one time and rounded the bottom nut off, so it's probably original. Anyhow, the fuel coming out of it was brown :D

A new filter is only 15-20 bucks, so its a good buy, especially if the car has been sitting for a period of time, and because sometimes the quality of fuel can be questionable.

I recently pulled the fuel filter off of mine at 220k. Looks like someone attempted it at one time and rounded the bottom nut off, so it's probably original. Anyhow, the fuel coming out of it was brown :D

A new filter is only 15-20 bucks, so its a good buy, especially if the car has been sitting for a period of time, and because sometimes the quality of fuel can be questionable.

I replaced the fuel filter, with a Toyota genuine one, not a $15 one, on my 1992 LS a couple of months ago. The original one on my car seemed fine, and I would not have changed it had I not already bought another. The service manager at my local Lexus dealer told me they never change fuel filters, for the same reason noted by mburnickas. Toyota filters are designed to last the life of the car.

Changing the filter is not going to help fuel that has been sitting in the car for a long time. The only thing that will prevent that is fuel stabilizer added to the gas tank before the car will not be driven for an extended period.

Thanks for your informative posts.

I decided I will go to the Toyota dealer for the PCV valve as it is only a few dollars more.

I have a few follow-up questions.

1. Since I will be at the dealer, I will pick up the Toyota recommended red coolant and a friend/mechanic will change it. On my car does anyone know how many gallons I will need?

2. Does my car have a plug to drain the transmission fluid, thus not requiring the pan to be dropped?

3. Is Toyota transmission fluid any different than any other transmission fluid? If so, I can also pick this up when I am at the dealer.

Thanks again,

Anovice

I decided I will go to the Toyota dealer for the PCV valve as it is only a few dollars more.

1. Since I will be at the dealer, I will pick up the Toyota recommended red coolant and a friend/mechanic will change it. On my car does anyone know how many gallons I will need?

2. Does my car have a plug to drain the transmission fluid, thus not requiring the pan to be dropped?

3. Is Toyota transmission fluid any different than any other transmission fluid? If so, I can also pick this up when I am at the dealer.

Thanks again,

Anovice

Yes, use the Toyota-branded fluid. It is well worth the extra cost.

Are you saying to use the Toyota-branded fluid for the transmission as well?

Does my car have a plug to drain the transmission fluid, thus not requiring the pan to be dropped?

And, do you know how many gallons I will need to buy of the coolant and transmission fluid?

Thanks,

Anovice

Does my car have a plug to drain the transmission fluid, thus not requiring the pan to be dropped?

And, do you know how many gallons I will need to buy of the coolant and transmission fluid?

Thanks,

Anovice

Yes, use Toyota branded transmission fluid and coolant. I think your ES has a drain plug for the transmission but I am not entirely sure. As for the capacites, you should be able to find them in your owner's manual. Remember that the coolant has to be diluted with water.

I replaced the fuel filter, with a Toyota genuine one, not a $15 one, on my 1992 LS a couple of months ago. The original one on my car seemed fine, and I would not have changed it had I not already bought another. The service manager at my local Lexus dealer told me they never change fuel filters, for the same reason noted by mburnickas. Toyota filters are designed to last the life of the car.

Changing the filter is not going to help fuel that has been sitting in the car for a long time. The only thing that will prevent that is fuel stabilizer added to the gas tank before the car will not be driven for an extended period.

I was talking about the filter being stopped up just due to gunk, I know rust and particulate matter in the fuel tank can restrict filter flow, so to avoid misdiagnosing a problem later on I always do the easy fixes when I can.

Thanks again,

Anovice

1. Check the book for the proper amount.

2. Don't know, my 94 does. Are you changing the transmission filter also?

3. People argue these issues all the time, but I've yet to really see any conclusive evidence either way. Personally, I've not had any issues with non-toyota brand stuff. I know that many parts and what nots that are branded by different companies often come from a single supplier. So the main difference in brands is quality control levels, and possibly whatever 'perks' they give to their stuff. A good example of this is the difference between gasoline brands. Most often, the gas for different filling stations all comes from the same refinery. the only difference, if any, is if they put their brand of additive in it.

• 3 years later...

Thanks,

Anovice

Yes, use Toyota branded transmission fluid and coolant. I think your ES has a drain plug for the transmission but I am not entirely sure. As for the capacites, you should be able to find them in your owner's manual. Remember that the coolant has to be diluted with water.

The ultra long life coolant comes ready to use its red in color and doesnt need to be watered down .