Crusty1's New Ride! Sweet!

Crusty1

OK. I guess the journey is over...or is it just starting? Anyway, just took delivery of my 01 LS430. I put a little over 160 miles on it today putting it through the paces and it's a very nice car. I scoured local ads on Craig's list, Autotrader, Carsoup, newspaper, etc. Prices were all around 21,500-23000...and this is what cars in the "very clean" category with between 50-80K were selling for which I thought was high so I took a chance on Ebay and snagged this one for $16, 150 thinking I had some room for "work" if it needed something. So far it's really clean. Just a few little minor things I want to take care of which I'll mention just in case someone's got some good insights. Here's the webpage from the dealer...lot's of pics:

Crusty1's new ride pics: http://www.ewayauto.com/detail-2001-lexus-...30-2483771.html

1. Just one key. So I need another cut. Local guy quoted me $150 if I bring him a "shell" and he just provides the key blade. Ouch. I can get an OEM looking shell and blade for $50 off ebay. Shoud it really cost this much just to get a key cut? Auction listing states that instructions for programming are inlcuded.

2. The "trunk struts" are shot...at least I think so. Looking at the spare I got cloked in the back of the neck by the trunk Bruce Lee style. And the trunk lid is very heavy to lift...though it stays up in it's full extended position. As my neighbor pointed out (previous ownder was a physician), the guy used the trunk a lot but not the hood because the hood struts are just fine. And I'm sure he's right because most Docs I know aren't even sure what's under the hood.

3. Tires were severely under inflated: LF 15psi, the rest 20psi. A slight amount of stering wheel wobble at 52-56 MPH after I inflated to 35psi all way round. A lot of wobble before I topped off air. LF tire has only 3/32 of tread on the very outside and 6/32 on the inside. All the other tires have 6-7/32. They're Yokahoma Avid T4s. Guessing the alingnmnet is out. Anything else that would cause this slight steering wheel vibration? I hate to replace the entire set when there's a year of more of tread left on the other 3 (spare has only got 4/32). I found a decent used on ebay for $65 with 7/32.

4. Tranny fluid level is just about 1/4" over the "hot" fill line. Does this spell death? I always make sure my tranny fluid levels are dead on because I fear overfilling. Wonder if I should suck it out with my fluid pump or just train, flush and refill. Tranny fluid looks and smells OK.

Well that's it for now. Thanks for all the excellent feedback and input on my prepurchase pursuit.

Dennis

Very nice LS, Very clean indeed B)

Thanks. So far. Bought a set of replacement trunk struts off ebay for $75. No more getting clipped in the back of the neck!! Now I need a good OEM repair manual. Also, what's the best way to do a "tranny flush?" Does this thing really hold less than 2qt or ATF? Wow. My suburban takes 17qts for a good, thorough flush!!!

Thanks. So far. Bought a set of replacement trunk struts off ebay for $75. No more getting clipped in the back of the neck!! Now I need a good OEM repair manual. Also, what's the best way to do a "tranny flush?" Does this thing really hold less than 2qt or ATF? Wow. My suburban takes 17qts for a good, thorough flush!!!

The drain and fill is about 2 qts., I wouldn't flush the tranny, Just drain and fill.

The drain and fill is about 2 qts., I wouldn't flush the tranny, Just drain and fill.

Thanks DC. Yeah, I'm aware of the different opinions about the danger of flushing trannies...especially the "power flush" technique pushed by places like "iffylube." I'd like to change the oil and drain/refil tranny. Dumb question, but is there anyway to accomplish these tasks without removing the "shroud" under the engine? I'm sure once I get used to taking it off I'll become more proficient but just not used to having to remove something to get to the engine.

Still having a heck of a time finding a decent service manual. If anyone has a source please paste a link. So many places say they carry a manual only to get you to their website.

You can get factory service manuals in PDF form from techinfo.toyota.com. It costs $10 for one day's worth of access. It is a lot of clicking and saving, but it is much cheaper than a paper manual.

Check Sewell Lexus in Dallas on the web. I bought mine there for a 1998 LS.
You can get factory service manuals in PDF form from techinfo.toyota.com. It costs $10 for one day's worth of access. It is a lot of clicking and saving, but it is much cheaper than a paper manual.

Thanks. I'll look into both of those options. I found OEM at books4cars.com but they're right at $245 for both manuals. Also, if the dry fill cap. is 9.4 and it only takes 2 qts to drain and refil the tranny, that's a lot of old ATF left in the TC. That's like draining 1 qt out of your crank case and saying "hey I just changed my oil." I realize ATF is not as contaminated as CC oil but I just love the idea of getting it all out of there. Any body done a total drain and refil on the Lex?