Brakes

I just changed the pads front and rear on my '02 GS430 Super Easy! The rotors looked good ( no grinding and smooth as hell) Now there is a shudder when braking at about 60mph. WTF? I used factory pads, but a friend who is a Lexus service advisor had told me that this would probably happen if I didn't turn the rotors. Why would Lexus make it so easy to change the pads if you have to turn the rotors every time? Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking about just getting some aftermarket rotors, any recomendations?

Thanks,

Tim

The problem was likely starting before you changed the pads. The new pads are thicker and therefore have more mass to vibrate when the rotor is not perfect. This extra mass vibrating, will cause any variation to be more noticeable in the front end/steering wheel.

The problem was likely starting before you changed the pads. The new pads are thicker and therefore have more mass to vibrate when the rotor is not perfect. This extra mass vibrating, will cause any variation to be more noticeable in the front end/steering wheel.

So you think the rotors may be a little warped? Any recommendations on aftermarket rotors? I am running DBA rotors w/factory pads on my Land Rover Disco and I am happy with those, seem to be an improvement over stock. I have been running the EBC rotors w/ greenstuff pads on my Scion xB's and haven't noticed much difference from stock.

Thanks,

Tim

So you think the rotors may be a little warped? Any recommendations on aftermarket rotors? I am running DBA rotors w/factory pads on my Land Rover Disco and I am happy with those, seem to be an improvement over stock. I have been running the EBC rotors w/ greenstuff pads on my Scion xB's and haven't noticed much difference from stock.

Thanks,

Tim

I have warped rotors and just bought brembo blanks.....

When it arrives ill put it on and see.....

My steering wheel was shaking real bad when braking at high speeds and pads looked almost new(thick) so i bought rotors. Did a bit of research and looks like blanks will do for now. Will have a break in period but i would recommond the brembo blanks for everyday driving. THEY ARE BREMBOS...brand name you can trust.

Last year I changed my 96 LS 2dr integra with brembo blanks all around with hawks(not sure which) but they were perfect no problems yet....

I just changed the pads front and rear on my '02 GS430 Super Easy! The rotors looked good ( no grinding and smooth as hell) Now there is a shudder when braking at about 60mph. WTF? I used factory pads, but a friend who is a Lexus service advisor had told me that this would probably happen if I didn't turn the rotors. Why would Lexus make it so easy to change the pads if you have to turn the rotors every time? Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking about just getting some aftermarket rotors, any recomendations?

Thanks,

Tim

ive bought aftermarket rotors and wasnt too happy. at the time i had chrome wheels that were designed to show off your brakes and rotors cause they were pretty open unfortunately the cool rotors i had bought was bad quality and dusted the wheels tooooo much. infact in a matter of a day. the front wheels were a mess and almost was the back. so thats a no on aftermarket rotors

Thanks,

Tim

ive bought aftermarket rotors and wasnt too happy. at the time i had chrome wheels that were designed to show off your brakes and rotors cause they were pretty open unfortunately the cool rotors i had bought was bad quality and dusted the wheels tooooo much. infact in a matter of a day. the front wheels were a mess and almost was the back. so thats a no on aftermarket rotors

I have always thought it to be the pads that created the dust. Anyway I have ordered a set of the DBA' rotors front and rear, I'll post my results and maybe some pics after I've had them on for a bit.

Tim

Just got my brembo blanks(front) in today. After work i came straight and got to it. After i would say an hour and a half in the washington rain i finished and went to test it. on the highway braking at 80mph to 60 mph there was a mass improvement. feel little to no shake. i can still feel a little shake while decelerating from about 80mph to 60mph but then its just me wanting to have the perfect car. first i thought it was just the brakes but when i let it decel i could still feel the shake so im asuming its not the brakes. im going to get an alignment tomorrow and see how that helps, looks like i need one to cause its eating away the inside off my front tires.

BTW you should have a clamp of some sort(i used a 3 inch C clap) if you are not able to manpower the pistons back (which i doupt u can do) in to fit the new/bigger rotor that you will be putting back into the brake pads. i had to run to NAPA to get it as bananags DIY didnt mention it. But then its almost commonsense to a tech rite? Another is make sure your brake fluid is not too full cause you mite push the pistons back to far and the fluid will explode out. didnt happened to me but i dont wanna come back and read it happened to someone that saw this post.

Well, the DBA's have been on for a couple of days now and look good, the brake shudder is gone :D and no brake dust on the rims so far :) . Still breaking them in and haven't done much driving yet but they seem to brake even and strong. The car will get about 400 miles on it this weekend, I'll try and snap some pictures after that.

Tim

Hey Fishguy--I drive a recently purchased 2002 Lexus SC430 and needed to replace the brake pads. I ordered OEM, Japanese, pads from www.autohausaz.com for $85, no shipping cost. After installing them I had a hard shimmy between 55 and 40. I drove about 600 miles and no better. I took it to the Goodyear store this morning and they resurfaced the rotors. I drove about 100 miles this afternoon and the braking is perfectly smooth...no shimmy, bounce or anything. Drives like a new car. I suggest you do the same and your problem will disappear.--Roger Silvey

I could have had the rotor turned I know but the car had been on the coast with the PO and the rotors were somewhat rusty and I figured if I had to remove them then now would be the time to replace them. Anyway I have had the DBA's on for about 500 miles now with no shimmying or shuddering, and am very happy with the braking abilities (slight improvement from stock?) and they look a lot better than the old rusty ones, and have no brake dust problems. Here are a couple of pics and the car has not been washed since prior to the whole brake job, to show that the brake dust was not a problem for me with the DBA rotors and stock pads.

Tim

post-25141-1206839813_thumb.jpg

i recently put new pads and resurfaced the rotors on my car. when i am driving around 5-10 mph and im hitting very tiny potholes and as im applyng brakes it makes a cracking squeacking soung but only when applying the brakes at a low speed. i am wondering if the pads and calipers are nice and tight why would it be doing this noise?? i resurfaced the rotors and i did not put new ones on just wondering if this had someting to do with it

• 2 weeks later...
where did u get and how much did u pay for your dba's?

Sorry, Been busy... got them at www.autoanything.com, don't remember how much, you'll have to look it up, but they had free shipping at the time. Still couldn't be happier, all noises and shudders are gone, and still no brake dust ;)

Tim

• 10 months later...
It seems everyone is buying aftermarket rotors but trying to match oem pads? Does that mean most of yall prefer semi metallic to ceramic?

not necessarily. i went with rotora rotors and some hawks pads, synthetic fluid and some g-stop brake lines all the way around (rears are oem factory pads/ oem factory rotors).....was just a personal choice. didnt matter to me what they were made out of, was for stopping power for my choice. if i ever get some extra $$ i'll do a bbk front and rear or a supra front . if u do oem rotors or oem style rotors use the ceramic like they tell you to. if u just driving on street some aftermarket pads/rotors are fine and do the brake lines while your at in in my opinion. i still feel hung over from this last weekend so i dunno if im making sense to you

you went with: rotora rotors and hawk pads changed to synthetic fluid and g stop brake lines. Rears are all oem. .....So for stopping power is that why you chose oem for rears?

What is bbk and supra front?

Oem is semi metallic not ceramic like you said "if u do oem rotors or oem style rotors use the ceramic like they tell you to"

What does changing brake lines do?

So I guess some of it made sense but not really...will you clarify the things above......

not necessarily. i went with rotora rotors and some hawks pads, synthetic fluid and some g-stop brake lines all the way around (rears are oem factory pads/ oem factory rotors).....was just a personal choice. didnt matter to me what they were made out of, was for stopping power for my choice. if i ever get some extra $$ i'll do a bbk front and rear or a supra front . if u do oem rotors or oem style rotors use the ceramic like they tell you to. if u just driving on street some aftermarket pads/rotors are fine and do the brake lines while your at in in my opinion. i still feel hung over from this last weekend so i dunno if im making sense to you

you went with: rotora rotors and hawk pads changed to synthetic fluid and g stop brake lines. Rears are all oem. .....So for stopping power is that why you chose oem for rears?

What is bbk and supra front?

Oem is semi metallic not ceramic like you said "if u do oem rotors or oem style rotors use the ceramic like they tell you to"

What does changing brake lines do?

So I guess some of it made sense but not really...will you clarify the things above......

um out of the box the gs has good brakes for daily use for 90% of all gs owners. so i just went with a tad more stopping power up front and the oem ones out back! it is WELL more than i need on the streets. im sorry i was ALWAYS under the understanding that oems were ceramic, either way ceramic is a better pad

bbk is a BIG BRAKE KIT....supra front is a semi upgrade for the front brakes in between doing a complete BBK

here is a example of the BBK

front

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=504

rear

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=505

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=503

https://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/script...?idproduct=3027

http://www.superiorkustoms.com/p101612/Lex...oduct_info.html

http://www.momentumgt.com/brembo-gran-turi...exus-p-375.html

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetail...on_-_Front/6261

supra fronts

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1474

Trd kid (Which is the supra fronts just relabled)

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=661

i change the brake line for 2 reasons one as a precuation in case ne of the rubber is swelling after 8 years (my old es300 had a brake line pop while i was driving n left me with no back brakes) and two if u add steel braided you get a much better brake pedal feel

• 1 month later...

Another small item to think about when you change your pads, is any type of grease or lubricant that might get onto the rotor itself. If this happens, and considering the job, happens quite a lot, you will get severe shuttering for the first few miles, until the heat of the pads can burn off the grease and such from the rotor's surface. I recently replaced rotors and pads on my 4runner, hit the highway, hit the brakes, and the thing shuttered like the wheels were going to fall off. At about 100 miles down the road, all was fine, and remains so. I use only oem parts, as I find them to be just as cost effective when ordered online. I use parts.com, and everything I've received for the 4runner are coming from a Toyota dealership in Arizona.

Question: my GS, at 57k miles, is ready for a new set of brakes as well. I'm curious if you guys are finding two, brass-like, centering screws placed on the center hub of your oem rotors? I know my LS had them, and if you forget to reinstall them, it can make the car feel like it's out of balance. I'm curious if I need to swing by the dealership for a bag of new screws before getting into the project. If I recall, they'er soft metal, and very easy to strip the threads when removing.

Question: my GS, at 57k miles, is ready for a new set of brakes as well. I'm curious if you guys are finding two, brass-like, centering screws placed on the center hub of your oem rotors? I know my LS had them, and if you forget to reinstall them, it can make the car feel like it's out of balance. I'm curious if I need to swing by the dealership for a bag of new screws before getting into the project. If I recall, they'er soft metal, and very easy to strip the threads when removing.

man its been so long since i did my brakes....

sorry had to go back and check my old brake post...you can see in the pics i dont have ne

i dont have ne in my oem brakes BUT i got a brake job like 200 miles after getting the car so possibly thye didnt put them back on...when i put my rotora rotors on i never used ne and havent had ne problems...my old civic's had them...used to have to use a punch screwdriver to keep them from stripping, those screws sucked!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=48686&hl=

man its been so long since i did my brakes....

sorry had to go back and check my old brake post...you can see in the pics i dont have ne

i dont have ne in my oem brakes BUT i got a brake job like 200 miles after getting the car so possibly thye didnt put them back on...when i put my rotora rotors on i never used ne and havent had ne problems...my old civic's had them...used to have to use a punch screwdriver to keep them from stripping, those screws sucked!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=48686&hl=

Thanks, sakataj, good looking GS you got there man! I see the screw holes on the rotors. They are a pain to deal with, no doubt about it!

Thanks, sakataj, good looking GS you got there man! I see the screw holes on the rotors. They are a pain to deal with, no doubt about it!

its brian....and ty....she's changed ALOT since that pic...in the middle of a major audio build followed by the rims (g35 19" and probably some cusco coilovers) then who knows

im not sure why they put screw holes in them if we not using them though...seems more work for them.