Ls430 Cargo Net Hooks

jbrooksbreeden

I was given an '05 LS430 cargo net for my 2002 LS430. Unfortunately, I was given one "hook with screw post" and one "hook" without the screw post. MOST unfortunately, when I pulled the top "clip" on the first side of the '02 back trunk panel, the "clip" doesn't screw in but pushes into a much larger hole than the '05 post screws into. This should be clear from the photo:

Problem.jpg

I understood that the cargo nets from the parts department sealed in the plastic bags have the appropriate adapters. Any way to fit the gifted net short of buying an entire net just to get the adapters? Or, am I just out of luck.

This Sewell Lexus webpage says that "anchors" should already be on either side of your trunk on an 02 LS430: http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=87788 Does "anchors" mean "hooks"? Maybe someone removed the hooks and replaced them with clips?

When a body shop threw away the cargo net hooks on my 90 LS in 1999, they had a replacement set for me the next day after I complained. Maybe the dealer can get the hooks separately.

I suspect the hooks are the same for all model years of the LS -- at least the ones I installed on my 2000 LS look the same as the ones I installed on my previous 90 LS and the same as the ones in your photo. The cargo net hooks on our Toyota Camry are different than the Lexus hooks - different size bolt -- even though the hooks install on either side of the trunk opening like on an LS.

This Sewell Lexus webpage says that "anchors" should already be on either side of your trunk on an 02 LS430: http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=87788 Does "anchors" mean "hooks"? Maybe someone removed the hooks and replaced them with clips?

I suspect the hooks are the same for all model years of the LS -- at least the ones I installed on my 2000 LS look the same as the ones I installed on my previous 90 LS and the same as the ones in your photo. The cargo net hooks on our Toyota Camry are different than the Lexus hooks - different size bolt -- even though the hooks install on either side of the trunk opening like on an LS.

My '05 has hooks like those shown for the '05 on both sides of the TOP of the trunk panel and "plugs" like the one I removed from the TOP of the '02 installed on the bottom of the trunk panel.

Based on earlier comments I saw on this site (or the CL site?) I assumed the "plugs" would unscrew and the "hooks" would screw right in. Nope. The HOLE the plug fits into is too large in diameter (see photo) and it goes in too far for the hook's small-diameter post to find anything to screw into (if anything's there).

:(

Professor,

The plugs do not unscrew but are simply pushed into place, held by friction and can be removed with a trim removal tool.

I suggest that you remove the entire plastic sill (see the arrow in the attached photo) so you can see exactly where the hooks should be installed.

There are a variety of trim removal tools that you could use to pop the plugs out. The one I use looks a little like the garden tool I have for popping dandelions out. A trim removal tool works a lot better than a screwdriver but you could use a screwdriver if you are gentle.

When removing the plastic sill, I suggest that you insert the trim removal tool behind the sill material and not try to insert the removal tool between the head of the plug and the face of the plastic sill. This will keep you from scratching the exposed side of the sill.

The plastic sill is very easy to remove and reinstall. I've done it many times.

post-2157-1206223199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm going to nail the lid on this box, finally. One service "clerk" said, "Can't do it." The Parts guy said, "They don't make 'em." I kept on my salesman's case and finally, he got the Parts Dept Manager (the only one with any sense, I think) to look it up and order the whole kit. Yesterday I took the car in for the net "installation."

It took just about two hours of eating bananas, drinking water, playing solitaire and surfing the web. But, when the car, freshly washed, was pulled out, there was a rear vertical net installed just like they said "couldn't be done." I still don't know what the parts they used to convert the fittings look like. Sewell had returned my email after about a week with a link to a shopping cart with a part listed. I telephoned to find out if we were talking about the same thing. Nobody could take the call so I asked for a return call which hasn't been returned for over a week.

So much for Lexus service: You CAN get something done if you keep pushing. Don't take "we can't do that" for an answer. If you've seen it done, it can be done. :chairshot:

Prof, there was certainly no miracle involved in getting your cargo net installed. If the dealer did the job correctly, he merely acquired the correct cargo net hooks and screwed them into place. This is literally a two minute job which I have done three times -- on two Lexus and one Toyota brand vehicles.

Prof, there was certainly no miracle involved in getting your cargo net installed. If the dealer did the job correctly, he merely acquired the correct cargo net hooks and screwed them into place. This is literally a two minute job which I have done three times -- on two Lexus and one Toyota brand vehicles.

Yes,

And, that't the whole point. It took me finding the kit (which they denied existed) and demanding that they get it and install it. God only knows what it costs Lexus for such clowns to service their cars. You'd THINK that in the "big city" you'd find better service. But, you'd be wrong. Columbus had service a light year better than the DC area, IMHO.