Need Help

Hey, what's up guys. I'm new to this forum. I am considering on buying a sc400, but I would like to know how often you guys take the car to the dealer and every how many miles do you take it to get serviced? Can you give me an idea of the cost of avg. service ? I've heard so many people praising this car, I'm totally in love w/ this car. I've also read that this is a total gas guzzler? I drive avg. 22k a year. I wouldn't mind considering the sc300. Please provide me w/ any feedback Thanks. This is also one of the cars out in the market that has an outstanding depreciation value.

I would go with the SC300. More manageable. I will say, if you take a used SC to the dealer, they're likely to take you on a ride (very Expensive, depending where you live)

Personally I'm a DoIt yourself'er. The parts are expensive, and the labour costs can vary.

From the local dealers in the area, you can spend an average of $50 for an oil change, and more $$ when you want other things done.

I wouldn't say the SC400 is a gas guzzler. If you drive a lot, it's a very efficient vehicle. I get an average of 23.8miles on my LS400 and 26miles on my Sc300.

Don't let my thoughts discourage you from getting the car. It's still #1 in our book, and people still stare. I would say go for it.

I live in the Orlando FL, area. There's 1 dealer close by. I also can make a trip down to south florida where It's nothing but Lexus Lexus. Everyone and their grandma drives a lex. How do you think think the avg cost for a maintenance such as 30k, 60k, 90k will look ? I'm looking to buy one w/ around 59k to 65k. Carmax.com had 2 of them 97 & 98 for under 19k. I just lost both of them !! I read on one of the forums that someone paid $600 for a brake job chezzze

I like to do my own oil changes, brakes. How easy is it to change the brakes, (on my last car i bought lifetime pads from autozone under $50).

Most people think the more expensive a car is, the more it will cost to maintain, when in reality this is true, but yet false at the same time.

Any dealership is going to charge you an arm and a leg to let you drive your car through their doors, and once it's there they take this chance to gouge you for anything they can because, they have excellent turn around, and high profit margins. When it comes down to it, all cars cost the same to maintain for a certain type of person for the most part. The DIY'er. We are a mechanics nightmare, now armed with the internet and forums such as this, we pose a threat to a large portion of their market and force prices to be raised. To keep costs down prices on parts go down, therefor making our jobs easier and cars cheaper to maintain. All this babble pretty much sums up on thing..

Brakes are brakes, if you've done it on one car, you can pretty much do it on any car. Along with replacement parts. The only time prices are expensive on parts is if you have to get a part from a dealership, that's when there is no way around unless you go used. There is one thing important that I've noticed though. Toyota's are a dream to own, because if they were previously maintained, all they need is a penny here, a penny there. Very rarely do you have to drop a quarter. Which is far less expensive than a car that will nickle and dime you to death, and there are plenty of those out there. I suggest putting the 300/400 debate out of your mind, to begin with and find the highest quality cars you can for the reasonable prices. You might want a 300, but find a gorgeous 400 and turn it away because you're stuck on the 300 idea. That is the only reason I mention this. When you have more than one option infront of you, then I would get out the coin and start playing heads or tails. I was in the same position, and nearly lost the deal I got because I was being a stickler on what I wanted. So, don't make that mistake.. Personally I think you will be very impressed with the car. I was.. I don't think I could ever go purchase another car without visiting a Lexus lot first from now on.

Ok, well I guess it's time for you to do some hunting. My best bet for you is get some contacs of dealers who only sell cars to a specific customer in you local area. I live in Orlando FL, I currently have 2 contacts in Orlando & Tampa area dealers who only requests a fee of 150-400 I believe. He will get the car for you and You inspect the vehicle. Then purchase. I think that's the route I'm going to take. But as far as my original question do any of you sc400 owners happen to know the avg cost for the routine maintenance for these beauties ?

The dealer will charge more. The V8 typically runs a little higher because it will use more spark plugs at a time, maybe longer belts - and it's the top model.

800$ for 80k and 160k service is possible. Maybe more in some places maybe less. The 80 and 150k is the major service - belts, water pump, etc. Lexus recommends these intervals.

Oil changes and other stuff - depends on where you go and what type of oil used, I guess. Replacement parts can be pricey too.

All worth it if you ask me.

Would you happen to know which are the critical intervals for the 400 ?

Can I assume that 100K is one of them ? As far as the timing belt or chain in the 400? & when would it need a new belt if that's what it is ? You guys have been very helpful w/ the comments. I'm trying to get the maintenance info before I purchase this thing so I don't make the same mistake I made w/ my Last car .....Horror story....ate up all my money..... Thanks