Third Radar Failure

seaweed

I have one of the first ES350's bought in May of 2006. It is a top of the line UL and has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned.

I just got back from a trip from Florida to Charleston and had my PCS fail for the third time. In case you don't know, the PCS is the pre-collision radar system. When it fails you lose the cruise control. I had to drive I95 for almost 1000 miles without cruise control.

I have had it in the shop for wind noise, navigation failure and transmission firmware. Most of these required multiple visits to find a fix.

It is back to the shop tomorrow and I have told them to keep the car until they figure out how to make a permanent repair.

Beware the desire for new gadgets. Those with the stock ES350 only contend with transmission and wind noise problems.

I have one of the first ES350's bought in May of 2006. It is a top of the line UL and has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned.

I just got back from a trip from Florida to Charleston and had my PCS fail for the third time. In case you don't know, the PCS is the pre-collision radar system. When it fails you lose the cruise control. I had to drive I95 for almost 1000 miles without cruise control.

I have had it in the shop for wind noise, navigation failure and transmission firmware. Most of these required multiple visits to find a fix.

It is back to the shop tomorrow and I have told them to keep the car until they figure out how to make a permanent repair.

Beware the desire for new gadgets. Those with the stock ES350 only contend with transmission and wind noise problems.

Seaweed -

Interestingly enough, my 07 ES 350 (UL package) has been at the dealership for 3 days! The CD player is not working and they can NOT figure out the issue :( Have you experienced any issues with the Mark Levinson head unit?

Seaweed -

Interestingly enough, my 07 ES 350 (UL package) has been at the dealership for 3 days! The CD player is not working and they can NOT figure out the issue :( Have you experienced any issues with the Mark Levinson head unit?

I have not had any problems with the DVD/CD player. I have not been impressed with the Mark Levinson system as the bass could be much better.

Gee seaweed, I am now glad I didn't purchase this very expensive option (it was and extra $2K for my 08 ES UL).

Also, I 100% agree that the bass could be better on the ML. I had to notch it up to the highest to get what I wanted out of it. Of course, have to use real FM stations to get the best sound. XM Satellite radio (although a great variety and less commercials...and great sports) just doesn't have the fidelity of the FM stations!

The PCS/Radar cruise is an EXTREMELY rare option of the ES, I've personally never even seen one with it...

What does Lexus have to say about your failure?

They are replacing the entire radar system at an estimated cost of $5000. Fortunately it is still under warranty. I should get the car back in a few days. The 2008 loaner is a stripped down version with no options. You are right, nobody on the forums has a radar PCS system. Lucky me !!

• 2 weeks later...

After 11 days in the shop I finally got my car back. On the way home on I95 the new radar system started acting funny. It would slow down for no reason when cars were in the adjacent lane. When I got home I called Lexus of Palm Beach and Lexus Customer Satisfaction. This is the fourth problem with the radar so I sent a registered letter to Lexus informing them of the Florida lemon law. I am going away for a week so I will see what happens when I return. Stay tuned.............